Thread: GVT for short cycle

GVT for short cycle

I started doing 5/3/1 about 3 months ago, and intend on keeping it as a regular training method. However, I'm looking for something to break it up for a 6 week stretch this summer and am thinking about GVT. Anybody have any experiences/advice they can share with me about this? Also, is this something that I should be considering?

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    I started doing 5/3/1 about 3 months ago, and intend on keeping it as a regular training method. However, I'm looking for something to break it up for a 6 week stretch this summer and am thinking about GVT. Anybody have any experiences/advice they can share with me about this? Also, is this something that I should be considering?
    thanks,
    Snoack,

What are you looking to achieve in terms of gains?

The 5/3/1 program is a good long-term solution for strength gains, and GVT is a great way to spark hypertrophy gains. In the past I have used a modified GVT for short periods as a 'shock principal'. The way that I broke things down was one GVT movement per day on a normal bodypart split (4-5 days/wk) and then a bit of accessory work with isolation exercises following the 'primary' exercise.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I used a 6x6 cumulative fatigue program once with minimal results. Looking back on it later, I realized that I just wasn't advanced enough to really take advantage of the increased volume. So, who knows, it may be something good try out for yourself.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Along the lines of what Off Road said, I would make sure to gradually work up to high volume programs instead of just jumping right into them. When I performed the GVT program I was already acustom to a good amount of volume (15-25 sets/workout). The 5/3/1 program is low volume which is what makes it work well for strength progression, but may not set you up for immediate success with a high intensity hypertrophy program.

One solution would be to go from 5/3/1 to 5x5 for a couple of weeks and then finish off with GVT.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Snoack,

What are you looking to achieve in terms of gains?

The 5/3/1 program is a good long-term solution for strength gains, and GVT is a great way to spark hypertrophy gains. In the past I have used a modified GVT for short periods as a 'shock principal'. The way that I broke things down was one GVT movement per day on a normal bodypart split (4-5 days/wk) and then a bit of accessory work with isolation exercises following the 'primary' exercise.
    this pretty much spells out exactly what I was thinking as far as goals and intended approach

Along the lines of what Off Road said, I would make sure to gradually work up to high volume programs instead of just jumping right into them. When I performed the GVT program I was already acustom to a good amount of volume (15-25 sets/workout). The 5/3/1 program is low volume which is what makes it work well for strength progression, but may not set you up for immediate success with a high intensity hypertrophy program.

One solution would be to go from 5/3/1 to 5x5 for a couple of weeks and then finish off with GVT.
    I'm getting ready to start my 3rd wave this weekend. Prior to that, before I busted up my Achillies tendon, I was training for a HM and was doing EIT circuits at 40-50% 1RM in the 20-25 rep range. Did a full 12 week 5x5 last fall and had considered going to back to it before I started doing 5/3/1.

The 5x5 sounds like a good idea as prep, may look into it.

Thanks for the replies.

You could always do a variation of the "Boring But Big" accessory work for your next 5/3/1 cycle and maybe reduce the number of sets but increase the reps. I think it calls for repeating the mainlift for 5x10 so maybe change that to 4x15. Something like:

Main 5/3/1 Lift
    Repeat 5/3/1 lift with 60% of max for 4x15 (not sure if 60% is a good number you'd have to feel this out)
    Supporting isolation movement #1 for 2x20
    Supporting isolation movement #2 for 2x20

You can choose your 2 isolation movements accordingly depending on your main lift for that day. This would let you keep your 5/3/1 progression going for your strength gains on the main lift but get in some high volume work to prep you for GVT.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

you guys think deads would be a good fit with this style of training?

you guys think deads would be a good fit with this style of training?
    If you wanted to do a high volume deadlift hypertrophy program I would go with 10 sets of (2) reps with 30-60 seconds of rest (most likely in the 80% range).

If you wanted to do a high volume deadlift hypertrophy program I would go with 10 sets of (2) reps with 30-60 seconds of rest (most likely in the 80% range).
    Or if you are set on doing the 10x10 GVT with them start out with like 55% for the first week and gauge from there. Either will be fine. Tom's idea is great.
    Last edited by joey54; 05-20-2010 at 07:01 PM.

House Lannister
    Tom, your ability to prescribe workouts, set/rep parameters, load parameters, etc. for any question people throw at you continues to amaze me. It's great to have you on these forums.

this sounds good. Been going back and forth on 2 boards trying to figure out the best way to incorporate these into a program like this.

House Lannister
    this sounds good. Been going back and forth on 2 boards trying to figure out the best way to incorporate these into a program like this.
    Snoack, if you only want to do a GVT-type training protocol for six weeks, I'd check out Waterbury's ABBH I. It focuses on basic lifts like fronts squat (which you could switch to back squat), bench, rows, and deadlifts. It also follows a similar protocol to what Tom prescribed above with sets of 10x3, 10x4, and 10x5. It's worth a look.