The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: giving it a try

Wannabebig Member

giving it a try

Ok, some background: I'm 45 years old, 6', 178 lbs or so. I was already in pretty decent shape (for an old guy, lol), but my workout routine has gotten pretty boring and I'm ready for a change. So I read about HCT-12 with interest, and decided to give it a try Monday. But I forgot to bring along a notepad until today, so no records of what went on earlier this week. I'm doing the three day a week program, and today was the leg day. So:

Romanian deadlift:

45 lbs x6, 95 lbs x6, 135 lbs x6. Called it quits after this because I was having serious form problems and I was afraid I was going to screw my back up (which I've done several times before). Spent some more time practicing with an unloaded bar and got better, but I still need to work on it. I may stick with pretty light weights here for a while until I get the hang of it.

concentration curl: empty bar x6, bar +20 x6, bar +30 x6, bar +40 x6, bar +50 x6, x2, x2, x2
    can't figure out what the bar weighs! I'll have to get on the scale with it.

squat:
    45 x6, 95 x6, 135 x6, 185 x6, x2, x2, x2
    This is another one that was making me nervous about the back, as I've screwed it up on squats before. Form looked ok this time, though (I think). May need to work up a little more slowly.

Since the Romanian deadlift didn't go that well, I decided to get into the glute kickback machine. Trouble with this is that it's too easy even with all the weight on it, but I did it anyway (all numbers per leg):

10 x6
    50 x6
    80 x6
    100 x6
    120 x6
    140 x6, x2, x2, x2

Probably won't bother with this again, as even the 140 was not that hard.

Standing calf raise: calves are kinda sore because I pulled them slightly while dancing around with my daughter Tuesday (lol). Went really light.

15 x6
    75 x6
    135 x6
    175 x6
    215 x6, x2, x2, x2

Finally did some Roman chair work: 20 reps side lifts, 20 reps straight leg lifts, 20 reps bent leg lifts. I'm not really sure how to work some of these ab exercises into the 6-2-2-2 format, as a lot of them are just using body weight. Tips appreciated.

Anyway, loving the program so far. I was really in a rut before, but for the first time in a long time I'm excited about my workout again.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member

Diet for yesterday

0700: 6 oz grapefruit juice
    0800 - 1100: about a thermos of coffee (black)
    0830: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 cup oatmeal (with 1 tbsp bran and 1 tbsp wheat germ added), 1/2 cup skim milk
    1100: wrap sandwich from local joint. Turkey with lettuce and pico de gallo, some kind of sauce
    1130: handful of almonds (unsalted), 6 dried apricots
    1200: two cups green tea
    1230: 6 oz cranberry juice (100% juice - cranberry and apple), tsp creatine powder
    1500: 8 oz skim milk plus about 3 scoops whey
    1530: apple, about 2 oz cheese
    1800: 3 oz bourbon (what can I say, everyone needs a vice...)
    1900: bean burrito: 1 multigrain tortilla, about a cup of black beans, about 2 oz cheese, 2 tbsp salsa, 1 tbsp sour cream. Obviously all those beans wouldn't fit in one tortilla - ate them separately. Also: 1 cup low sodium V-8, and two more scoops whey in 8 oz skim milk.

Edit: 2300: 2.5 grams fish oil, 500 mg magnesium, multi-vitamin, double strength glucosamine/chondroitin

This is a very typical daily diet for me.
    Last edited by sean.peters; 05-20-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: left off something...

Glad to see another Old Dude in here
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member

I know what you mean...

Us old guys gotta stick together!

Wannabebig Member

today's exercise

Running: 3 miles at a moderate to slowish pace.

Also: feeling pleasantly "worked out" from yesterday's lifting. Everything from my upper back to about my knees has that not-quite-stiff feel to it. Calves not so sore today.
    Last edited by sean.peters; 05-20-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: hit save before I meant to

Cool. we are about the same age and size. Keep with this, Looking foward to seeing how you do.

Wannabebig Member
    Will do. Today:

Bench:
    45 lbs - 6x
    95 - 6x
    135 - 6x
    185 - 6x
    205 - 6x ,2x, 2x

I felt like I went up too fast and didn't get that much out of the bench.

Pull up (neutral grip)
    180 - 6x
    190 - 6x
    200 - 6x, 2x, 2x, 2x

Assumes body weight of 180. Gonna have to go up slower here too.

military press
    45 - 6x
    65 - 6x
    75 - 6x
    85 - 6x
    95 - 6x
    105 - 5x, 2x, 2x, 2x

Couldn't quite get the 6th rep out. Still felt like this was an awesome shoulder day, though.

Iso-lat row (hammer strength)
    50 - 6x
    90 - 6x
    140 - 6x
    160 - 6x
    180 - 6x
    210 - 6x, 2x, 2x, 2x

No issues.

Bench press (again)

45 - 6x
    95 - 6x
    135 - 6x
    155 - 6x
    175 - 6x
    175 - 6x
    195 - 5x, 2x, 2x 2x

I didn't feel like I got enough bench done the first time around, so I went again, going up slower this time. Almost couldn't rack the bar while on the 195 set... lol. Felt like a better workout this time.

Finally did 5 sets of 20 crunches for some ab work, 3 of the sets I had a 25 lb plate on my chest. Still not quite sure how to do the 6-2-2-2 thing for abs.

Net result - still loving the program. I got out of there feeling like I'd had the best workout in a long time.

Wannabebig Member

weight

Up to 179 1/2 this morning, but I think a good bit of that is water - diet was not too bad yesterday but way too salty, so I think I've packed on a few water pounds. The doc is worried about my blood pressure, so I gotta watch that - sat in the sauna a bit today to try to sweat some of it out.

Looks like you are finding your way with the routine. After a few sessions, you'll have everything figured out and you'll be cruising. Nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks, man. I feel like I'm starting to get in the groove with it already.

Good job with everything, keep it up!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member

Well, that didn't take long

So there I was in the gym, working on the Romanian deadlift... and my back went out. Again. A week into the program and I'm already sidelined.

I am really, totally at a loss. Me and various forms of the deadlift go back a long way, but it always ends up the same way - with me hurting and unable to stand up straight. This is at least the 4th time I've thrown out my back doing this, and while I wouldn't swear in court that my form was absolutely perfect, it was at least pretty damn good. More to the point, it's the best I'm capable of.

So now what? Every time this happens, I'm out of action for at least a week. Is there another hip exercise I can do (that doesn't involve me bending over while holding onto heavy weights)? Because I'm just not willing to risk this anymore.

I"m very, very discouraged today.

Don't give up man, I've been there myself. There are several good exercises you can do that may keep you injury free with a bad back. Some of my favorites are Trap Bar Deadlifts, Hip Belt Squats, Rack Pulls, Pull thoughs, Weighted Back Extensions, and I've heard that the Glute Ham Raise is effective, but I've never tried it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member

Thanks for the help...

Some of the things you mention (rack pulls, trap bar deadlift) are probably not in the cards for me - too "deadlift-y". But there are plenty of possibilities that I think would work. The glute ham raise looks like a winner! Pull-throughs look worth a try too.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll keep this in mind while I'm popping the muscle relaxers and waiting this out...

Wannabebig Member

Today...

Still down for the count - I can't stand up straight yet, so there won't be any any exercise for a while. The current challenge (I mean, aside from gritting my teeth every time I have to walk anywhere...) diet. I had been eating considerably more in an effort to support some weight gain, actually overshot the calories a little... and now my activity has been cut back to more or less nothing. So now I'm in this mode where my belly still thinks I need to be shoveling food into it, but there's no actual demand for these calories. Luckily, my appetite usually lines up with my activity level.. eventually, but in the meantime I'm kinda hungry!

Trying to think positive thoughts and looking forward to being 100% again. Well, at my age maybe 90% is as good as I can hope for, but whatever!

Sorry about the back, i hurt mine pretty good once, it scared the crap out of me, i was lowering a weight and bam i droped the weight and just fell down crawled out of the room, I dont know what to tell ya, Have you tried sumo stance, i know that will take a lot of stress off the low back and put it on the hams and hips. Do you wear a belt?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    Sorry about the back, i hurt mine pretty good once, it scared the crap out of me, i was lowering a weight and bam i droped the weight and just fell down crawled out of the room,
    Yeah, that's pretty much how it went. Dropped the weight, didn't quite fall down, but couldn't really stand up again either. Haven't really used a belt with this... I'm not sure if it would help or not. Neither have I done the sumo stance. We'll have to see how it goes once I'm back together, but to be honest, I'm thinking my deadlifting days are over. I just can't seem to do it without hurting myself, and since I'm out of action for at least a week every time, I can't really afford to figure this out by trial and error.

Hey, I TOTALLY understand how you are feeling mate, I've been through the same thing time and time again.

Here is my advice.

First of all, read this article - http://www.wannabebig.com/injury-reh...uve-ever-been/

Then read it again... and again... and again... well you get the picture You can't let this hold you back on progressing in other areas, it is still possible to have goals and progress if you have any injury, you just have to dig deep and re-focus for a little bit.

Back to the deadlift, I've probably pulled my back about 15 times on deadlift, each one putting me out for 1-2 weeks and then you have to build up for it to only happen again.

I can almost gaurantee that you have some type of form/mobility issue (probably both) which is causing you to be injured and putting your back at risk and I'm also willing to bet that you cannot sort this out by yourself (or you would have done by now). If you are hell bent on being able to deadlift, stop it all together for now, find a REALLY good personal trainer (preferably at a very reputable private facility) and let the coach you. If they are good, they will identify the weaknesses you have which are causing you to have incorrect form and will coach you to work on these and will also coach you back into deadlifting with proper form in a safe way.

I've been through that and have reached a middle ground. No more back squatting for me EVER and no more regular deadlifting for me EVER. It;s not worth it, I would have to work far too hard on my mobility and form and to be honest I would rather put my effort into other areas of my fitness and believe I can reach my goals without the back squat and regular deadlift.

I now stick to romanian deadlift and front squat as these feel more comfortable to me and suit my mobility weaknesses.

However I would not be able to do this without feeling niggles had I not and still currently work very hard on mobility. I probably put a solid 3 months into mobility - 3 x 30 min sessions of mobility per week and also comprehensive dynamic warm ups before I started working out (particularly lower body) and over time I have built up better strength in my hamstrings and glutes and together with being coached on my front squat and romanian deadlift form I can now do these week in, week out without any issues and am going heavier than ever.

I also use things like single leg bulgarian split squats, step ups etc over regular squat and deadlift and am progressing fine.

Anyway, abit of ramble but I hope you found it useful. In short, stop doing it for now and just focus on other things you can do consistently and get that expert coaching and focus really hard on mobility so that you can eventually deadlift/squat or as I have done choose to do safer alternatives.

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Wannabebig Member

Thanks...

I saw a link to the article on another thread and it was really helpful. Before I read it I was feeling pretty helpless and I was about ready to chuck the whole thing... but having something to work toward really helps.

I think you're 100% correct on the mobility thing... I've seen the doc a couple of times over the back issue and he tells me that my lower back is abnormally straight. I'm convinced that short hamstrings are the root of my problem - they've always been quite tight. So over the very short term (until my back is more-or-less recovered) I'm working on stretching my hamstrings and keeping my diet under control. Next: work back into lifting, with safer exercises for the lower body (and keep up w/ the stretching). Finally: figure out what to do about this personal trainer thing. It's a good idea, but I'm likely to have to find another gym - currently I'm working out at the Navy base gym where I work. The lady who runs the place is super fit and a great person, but hasn't been much help with this particular problem ("deadlifts bother your back? Don't do deadlifts"). My doc says pretty much the same thing. One way or another I'll get it figured out.

Besides the hamstring work, any other ideas for a mobility program? Subjectively, I feel pretty limber everywhere else, but who knows.

Thanks again for your help - without the advice and encouragement I've gotten here I probably would have quit.

Sean

Do you have access to a pulling sled? If not, you can make one pretty cheap from an old tire. The sled is a great way to get some leg work and conditioning work. It's not going to build the muscle like weight lifting, but it will still be beneficial and would be a nice way to keep the legs going while you rest the back injury.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Good stuff!

These are two very good articles

http://www.wannabebig.com/injury-reh...r-performance/

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/i...-body-warm-up/

Get used to doing some form of foam rolling and dynamic warm up before every workout and you'll feel more limber and flexible as you go into them which will definately help you with mobility/form in that specific session.

Magnificent Mobility is also a great product. Its lower body focused and has tons of dynamic stretches you can do.

Do as much hip/hamstring/IT band stretching as you can as these are normally the common sulprits and don't get too stressed about not being able to squat and deadlift, they are not the holy grail and you can build a powerful, good looking physique without them, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    squat and deadlift ... are not the holy grail.
    BLASPHEMY! ... kidding, Daniel is right of course

Squats and deadlifts are the best, but that doesn't make other exercises ineffective. You have to use whatever you can to stay progressive.
    Last edited by Off Road; 05-26-2010 at 07:12 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member

lots of food for thought here

Off Road

Do you have access to a pulling sled? If not, you can make one pretty cheap from an old tire.
    I've got a sled I use to pull hunting gear around with. Seems like I could throw some sandbags into that... good idea.

@Daniel... I'll read over the links... thanks!

Back is already feeling somewhat better - at least I can stand up more or less straight today.

If I were you, I'd try to figure out if the problem is muscular or spinal. Its going to make a big difference in how you approach rehab and getting back into lifting in general.

Im just now getting back after a pretty significant injury and I've been following a pretty extensive low body mobility routine before I even think about doing any of the bigger low body exercises. I do a variation of the programs Daniel posted. It's helped a lot with my flexability and ROM already.

Biggest advice I can give you is to listen to your body. Dont ignore warning signs just so you can say "I can lift xxx".

Wannabebig Member
    Doc tells me it's muscular - disks, etc, are apparently in good shape. Or at least they were the last time I saw him about it. My thinking is that tight hamstrings are unnaturally straightening my lower back.