The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Okay Guys, I have a situation here

Hey guys,
    I just got off school until September which is great but i do have a lot of time on my hands (no summer job YET). So i like to be in the gym a lot of days for long periods of time to take up some of my boredom. I would consider myself a more advanced weight lifter, started 3 years ago and have been pretty serious since then.

Stats:
    19 years old
    195 pounds
    5'11''

So i have been looking forward to this program for a long time now, and it looks great its just that it doesn't have the time commitments i want (i know it's weird, i want to be their longer). So what im looking for is for someone to convince me to ditch my old program and start this. Here is an example of my old program:

Day 1
    Back
    - Seated cable row (use double hand red handle)
    - Hammer row (one arm at a time) (heavy)
    - Lat pull downs (outside grip bar) (heavy)
    - Dumbbell side rows(heavy)
    - Cable press downs (using long bar)

Day 2
    Chest
    - Dumbbell press (heavy)
    - Dumbbell fly (heavy)
    - Hammer flat press (heavy)
    - Hammer incline press
    - Machine fly (heavy)

Day3
    Shoulders and Traps
    - Dumbbell press (heavy)
    - Seated barbell press (heavy)
    - Front raises (dumbbell/barbell circuit)
    - Side raises
    - Barbell shrugs (free weights or smith machine)
    - Dumbbell shrugs (heavy)

Day4
    Legs
    - Squats or hack squat (heavy)
    - Leg press (heavy)
    - Leg extensions
    - Hamstring curls
    - Calf raises

Day5
    Biceps
    -Dumbbell curls (heavy)
    -Barbell curls (heavy)
    -Cable curls (heavy)
    -Preacher curls (using barbells)

Day6
    Triceps
    - Close grip bench (heavy)
    - Tri- press downs (heavy)
    - Incline skull crushers (using curl bar)
    - Over head tri-extensions (heavy)
    - Single arm tri- press

Every comment is appreciated, thank you

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Also, i forgot to add that I am currently trying to cut a little body fat so i do a 20 minute 60% heart rate run 4 times a week.

Training every day is going to wear you down mentally if it doesn't wear you down physically.

I'm not on HCT-12, but I can tell you that it's much better suited to making positive gains than what you're currently doing. Besides mental tiring, your CNS may not recover fully between each workout. I also feel your workouts are rather redundant.

Why have a day for just biceps? A day for just triceps? And most importantly... ONE leg day?

Your upper body will progress faster with more of a lower body focus. Sounds strange, I know, but true nonetheless. I also don't see any kind of deadlifting in there.

Your chest and back days seem extremely volume intensive. Some people respond to volume, but volume like that is crazy. Kudos to you if you're actually making significant progress on that routine.

In short, it's too many upper body days, too few lower body days, and too much volume in my opinion. You're not going to progress as well on a routine like this as you would a different one.

What are your goals? What do you bench/squat/deadlift?

Remember, you grow outside of the gym and in the kitchen.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    the exercises arent what i do everytime, but i do split up arms like that. I do stiff legged deads on back day, idk why it isnt in what i posted. I only know my one rep max for bench because for the first half of my training expereince deadlifts and squats werent my focus because as a 17 year ignorant kid thats how i thought lol. My one rep max for bench is 285, i do sets of 245 for 8-10 times for deadlifts (3 sets), squats are even more pathetic at 275 for 8 reps, 3 sets. I am well aware that my bench shouldnt be higher then the other two but like i said, when i started i didnt focus on deads and squats. Thanks for the input, it is exactly what I am looking for. What i liked about what I am doing is that it did take a lot of time and effort so in my head i figured that means more calories burned which means greater fat percent loss. i am not fat but ive never been truly ripped in my life, so i want that six pack.

Like Daniel stated, his program is for muscle gain, and i do eat a lot of protein but try and limit my carbs, I am just worried that Daniel's program is better suited for a bulk stage rather then a cut kind of mindset that I am in now.

Once again, i REALLY appreciate the time you took in your response, Thank you.

Along with your training, have you been tracking your food intake? This is much more important than time spent in the gym.

I suggest you try HCT-12, and see how you like it. Even if you consider the new program better suited for bulking, you aren't going to balloon overnight. That's why the nutrition article recommends monitoring your daily macros and weighing yourself each week, making adjustments as needed. If you're gaining too much fat, reduce your calories and/or add some cardio.

TB

imo way to much volume as kosh said. but you shouldnt need us to convice you of that, read and understand the principles that generate muscle growth and draw your own conclusion.

edited because apparently i dont proof read or spell correctly =]
    Last edited by Titalis; 05-17-2010 at 05:24 AM.

Some good advice above. Outside of your immediate family no-one is going to spend time convincing you to do anything for your own good so don't expect it here. It seems you've convinced yourself that you need to be in the gym for that long to alleviate boredom, if that's the case and the program is judged on gym time then you're looking in the wrong place - this program (and any good program) is about working smart and being efficient with your time; get a training stimulus and then get out to recover.
    If you're progressing the way you're training and it fits your brief of being very taxing and time consuming then don't change, this is not the prgram for you.
    Your diet will dictate whether you get ripped or not irrespective of the program. Apply the eating guidelines in the Nutrition aspect of this program and you'll get the benefit of a proper diet and get to train your way.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys, that pretty much gave me everything i needed. I, probably more then anything, just wanted to know if it is possible to spend that much time in the gym and make strength and lean mass gains, but i do agree that proper nutrition along with your own genetics plays a huge roll in that, not just your program.

Yup, definately ditch your old program and go with this new one. If you like the high frequency, then just do either the 4 or 5 day split recommendation that they give in the articles.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

4 Day Split

Hi mate,

I used to work out 6times a week with a split that was similar to yours about 2 years ago.

And i played rugby on top of it.

It did wear me down eventually, i am currently 8Days into the HCT-12 4Day split, i find it enough, if you do the four day split and push the weight high enough i personally feel you will be happy your not in the gym doing it for 6days!!

Thats just my two cents mate, the guys before me have pretty much answered your question anway!

Check people like Off Roads (Squats) journal and see that less time does not me less gains!

Or you can have a pop onto mine to see less impressive gains but they are MINE muhaha
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Get on a solid 3-4 day program. SS, Texas method, madcow/billstarr 5x5, hct-12 are all good.

Get a library card and spend your excess time outside the gym reading books. Seriously. Dedicate some time everyday to read about topics that interest you. If you are lucky, you can find something you have a passion for and start developing an idea of what you want to focus your career on.

I am 25 and read roughly an hour a day. I wish I would have started this habit at age 19.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-17-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Get a library card and spend your excess time outside the gym reading books. Seriously. Dedicate some time everyday to read about topics that interest you. If you are lucky, you can find something you have a passion for and start developing an idea of what you want to focus your career on.
    I really, really like that response Raleighwood. But I'm a teacher, so...

And i agree with "Less is more." Read the HCT-12 stickies and find out why the routines are abbreviated. In fact, most of the highly recommended and productive routines are all abbreviated.
    Last edited by Off Road; 05-17-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'd probably do the 4-day split and pick up a sport to play if I had oodles time. MMA would be a fun and tough workout in addition to a 4-day split.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

what you have isnt a routine. you just named a muscle and listed every lift that works that muscle. hct would be much better.

I WannaBeBig
    If you want to spend more time in the gym you can still do HCT-12, just add accessory lifts. That is what I do on the days I have a little extra time on my hands.
    "I do now what others will not, so I can have later what others can not."

Quote Originally Posted by chand006 View Post
    If you want to spend more time in the gym you can still do HCT-12, just add accessory lifts. That is what I do on the days I have a little extra time on my hands.
    If you read the routine texts you'll see that you might not want to add a lot of volume to the routine. Reading the logs I see a lot of different things people are trying; adding clusters, adding accessory lifts, adding volume, etc... I know Daniel says it's designed to be flexible for your wants, needs, and desires, but I just can't understand why everybody wants to mess with the basic principals of the system? I for one am willing to take Daniel's advice and stick with what he prescribes. After 12 weeks or so I will assess and make any changes I think may be needed at that time. Until then, I'm in Daniel's hands.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm in the same boat. I just graduated 3 weeks ago and don't have a job yet, so lifting is just about the only thing I have to keep busy right now. I'd like to workout 24/7 but I'm making steady progress going 3 days a week and I think I recover better with it.

I've started doing 2 days of GPP a week just to have a little extra fun while not ruining the program I'm on.
    Last edited by Clover; 05-24-2010 at 09:54 PM.