The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New Way Of Doing Squats [I have just heard of it anyway]

So I was at lifting yesterday and learned the coolest new technique to squating. I lift with my football team and two trainers oversee us. Apparently a few guys have been working on a new technique for about a month and a half and already have improved their normal squat weight by 50-100 lbs! and its so simple
    Step 1) Put about half of your normal weight on the bar and get 'er up
    Step 2) Pick a specific spot in front of you [towards the ceiling]
    Step 3) Stick your butt out extremely far...like as far as you can.
    Step 4) Put all of your weight on your backs of your heels and THEN squat....All the way down, all the way up. Keep doing this while putting more weight on each week and before you know it your regular squating gets improved ten fold... It apparently strenghtens some area around your pelvis

Anyone else ever heard of this?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Please tell me this a joke thread.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah I've heard of it, it's this radicle new concept called SQUATTING. lol I really hope this was meant to be a joke.

This is sadly probably one of those "please please please let it be a joke" threads that turns out to be some football coach that uses sports medicine trainers to oversee their workouts. Don't squat all the way down Clayton, you'll blow the hinges right out of your knee. (Yes, my statement is a joke)

It could very well be that Clayton, and the trainers have never been introduced to decent squat form, thus this amazing break through in their weight room.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Damn...all this time I've been trying to stick my ass forwards.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Damn...all this time I've been trying to stick my ass forwards.
    hahahahahahahahahahah

I have this crazy suspicion that there are a few 150 lb kids on his team that can squat 600 lbs + when doing it "the normal way".
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

By normal do you mean the good ol 4inch ROM?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    All the way down, all the way up.
    Thanks! I'll try that!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Trolling?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-23-2010 at 01:55 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Arent you guys being a tad hard on the kid? He's in highschool so chances are the experience he has is bro science style advice. Maybe these "trainers" were trying to think outside of the box to get the kids excited to lift properly thereby terming it "new and improved" or what ever. But then again I could be wrong as well, these trainers could just be complete idiots that have no business teaching a dog let alone impressionable kids. Either way i wouldnt fault the OP. Educate and nuture the younger members so they hopefully stay interested in excercise their whole life.

OH! http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ht=average+joe Maybe this explains the "normal" squat.

Thanks Nicky, I spent half an hour reading that train wreck
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Hey guys! Whats going on up in this thread?!

I know that it seems this guy might be a troll, but he may not be (either way the admin team keeps an eye on these things). There are also other people who read these hoping for information, so if you have something to say please be constructive. This post below explicates what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Titalis View Post
    Arent you guys being a tad hard on the kid? He's in highschool so chances are the experience he has is bro science style advice. Maybe these "trainers" were trying to think outside of the box to get the kids excited to lift properly thereby terming it "new and improved" or what ever. But then again I could be wrong as well, these trainers could just be complete idiots that have no business teaching a dog let alone impressionable kids. Either way i wouldnt fault the OP. Educate and nuture the younger members so they hopefully stay interested in excercise their whole life.

My post here is not directed toward anyone particular, we just dont want to have to close threads that could potentially go somewhere positive. Thanks for the participation guys, you all are the life blood of the forums here and we could not do it without all of your help!!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-23-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    wow i just got raped on this threat. lol ya i am a sophmore. by normal squats i mean what you all probably do. The obvious "i'll strap on 420 and go until it hurts" ... But honestly this is supposed to be over the top. I guess i didn't explain this enough or my techinque has just been really messed up because i know i never stuck my butt out so far when i squated before. Before you guys say that i'm trolling maybe you should try this?? like seriously try sticking your ass out as far as it can possibly go and see if you can maintain that macho weight you do now. [and i'm not small like some expect.... i'm 5'9 220 lbs

Next thing you're going to tell us to do is try holding the bar with both hands.

You're missing the point man... this "new" technique should have been your technique from the get-go.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

wow i just got raped on this threat. lol ya i am a sophmore. by normal squats i mean what you all probably do. The obvious "i'll strap on 420 and go until it hurts" ... But honestly this is supposed to be over the top. I guess i didn't explain this enough or my techinque has just been really messed up because i know i never stuck my butt out so far when i squated before. Before you guys say that i'm trolling maybe you should try this?? like seriously try sticking your ass out as far as it can possibly go and see if you can maintain that macho weight you do now. [and i'm not small like some expect.... i'm 5'9 220 lbs
    See, now you have done the same thing others did to you. Don't insult if you don't know.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I really don't understand why or how people can post threads such as this without reading ANY of the posts or articles concerning the exact subject. Is the search function really that difficult to comprehend?

by normal squats i mean what you all probably do. The obvious "i'll strap on 420 and go until it hurts" .

like seriously try sticking your ass out as far as it can possibly go and see if you can maintain that macho weight you do now.
    Just out of curiosity, how much is your "normal" squat? how much do you squat with this "new" technique? What is your range of motion for your "normal" squat?

Wannabebig Member
    well normally i was taking on about 375. Now with this "new" way i'm at about 275ish. I'm not gonna get mad about this thread because the guys that immediately mark this off as they know what i'm talking about probably aren't extreme body builders either lol. Anyway all i meant by this thread is that this is to just stress your sticking your butt WAY out and working the pelvic area more. My normal squat is correct. [I mean i get my full ROM and everything ... plus i'm only about 5'8 so i dont have a long ways to go down anyway...] But what i'm saying is that before i've never actually stuck my butt so far out - you can feel how much heavier your load feels when you do it. (..i mean actually try getting your butt out as far as physically possible. idk but to me it feels totally new.)
    Last edited by Off Road; 05-24-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Extreme body builder checking in. Surely you're trolling.
    Last edited by Kastro; 05-24-2010 at 04:12 PM.

well normally i was taking on about 375. Now with this "new" way i'm at about 275ish. I'm not gonna get mad about this thread because the guys that immediately mark this off as they know what i'm talking about probably aren't extreme body builders either lol. Anyway all i meant by this thread is that this is to just stress your sticking your butt WAY out and working the pelvic area more. My normal squat is correct. [I mean i get my full ROM and everything ... plus i'm only about 5'8 so i dont have a long ways to go down anyway...] But what i'm saying is that before i've never actually stuck my butt so far out - you can feel how much heavier your load feels when you do it. (..i mean actually try getting your butt out as far as physically possible. idk but to me it feels totally new.) Anyway as for all the people that are just spamming this forum with rude comments you can go **** yourselves
    Football isn't about bodybuilding. It's about getting bigger and stronger for your sport.

You seem to be cocky for a sophomore regarding form work. I see it every day in our weight room. A kid who just doesn't want to listen to the advice the coaches give because he knows he's doing it correctly, when in reality he isn't.

Now, I don't know you, so I certainly don't know if you squat with proper form or not, so I'm not judging you. But, as a life lesson, just because some guys posted some... uhhh... unnecessary comments in this thread doesn't mean you need to act like you are, either.

You're what? 15 years old you said? Many of the guys on this forum have that much time in the gym, let alone their age.

It's great you're finding things that work for you, but these ideas aren't new. New to you, perhaps. Which is good. That means you're learning, and learning is how you improve yourself.

Good luck with your lifting future.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method