The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Hypers

Reverse Hypers

I'm about to get me a memebership at a gym that has a Reverse Hyper machine and I want to incorperate them into my workouts and I got some quetions about it

How many sets and reps do most people do for this exercise?

Is it mainly a glute exercise or does it hit hams and lower back too?

What part does it strengthen on squats and deads?
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...et-log-4-19-14

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It works the entire posterior chain and develops tremendous lock out power in both the squat and the dead.
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

I usually do 4 sets for 10-15 reps. It's a great movement and like what AJ said it works the entire posterior chain.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

on another note, RHs are the only exercise where you do want to swing the weight and allow momentum to aid the ROM.
    it's that forceful swing at bottom of movement that pulls glutes, lower back, spinal column, and creates strength in posterior chain.

i like to use it heavier (ie 6-8 reps) with 3-4 sets as an accessory movement. When i started doing this I thought I got something from it, the lighter weights just gave me a back pump haha.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    on another note, RHs are the only exercise where you do want to swing the weight and allow momentum to aid the ROM.
    it's that forceful swing at bottom of movement that pulls glutes, lower back, spinal column, and creates strength in posterior chain.
    To a certain extent yes. Louie always explains it that you want to start pulling back on the weight when you can see the plates. If you just let gravity stop the weight, you can lose some of the benefit at the bottom end. When you start pulling up on the weight at that point, you develop some traction and it almost stretches your muscles out a little.

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    i like to use it heavier (ie 6-8 reps) with 3-4 sets as an accessory movement. When i started doing this I thought I got something from it, the lighter weights just gave me a back pump haha.
    I was always taught that the higher reps were really beneficial for rehab from an injury or just muscle soreness and the low reps were better for strength. You need that "pump" when rehabbing stuff because it is the best way to create blood flow down there in the back, whereas normally there isn't a ton of flow.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Good point Travis, I was only thinking about strength.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

That's why I usally do it for higher reps, to help with my lower back. But from time to time I'll go heavy to get strong(er).
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

on another note, has anybody ever used a reverse hyper like this:

seems like you can't really swing the weight on it. A gym I have a free membership to has one and wondered if it was worth my time.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

For us donkeys that frequent gyms where you can count deadlifters on 1 finger i.e. I don't have access to a reverse hyper, what are your thoughts on the alternates?

I usually do this:

Video

Video

Great way to get the bitties looking at you too, for all the wrong reasons obviously.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 05-16-2010 at 06:44 PM.

seems like you can't really swing the weight on it. A gym I have a free membership to has one and wondered if it was worth my time.
    That's sorta how the one at the new gym looks like, except it's made a companty called powerlift.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...et-log-4-19-14

Thats pretty close to the one at my gym, xept you can adjust the foot part so there is room for a little swing.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Travis,
    As ive gotten older, ive incorporated more high rep hypers and i feel that it has absolutely helped with my lower back stability and strength. not trying to argue, i feel some carry over from doing high rep work. now these are not reverse hypers i might add. but nonetheless, the high rep work seems to satify my low back let me say that....BTW, in meets anytime for you Travis?
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Quote Originally Posted by bojackson View Post
    Travis,
    As ive gotten older, ive incorporated more high rep hypers and i feel that it has absolutely helped with my lower back stability and strength. not trying to argue, i feel some carry over from doing high rep work. now these are not reverse hypers i might add. but nonetheless, the high rep work seems to satify my low back let me say that....BTW, in meets anytime for you Travis?
    Excellent! I'm always glad to hear when the reverse hyper has really helped guys. Sadly, my gym is the only one in the tri county area that even has a reverse hyper. In my opinion every gym should have one.

I'm curious though, what are you using? You said you weren't using an actual reverse hyper, is it one like the machines above?

As for meets, right now the plan is to do the Sweatt Shop bench meet in July.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I hope Louie sues the **** out of the manufacturers of those devices (if legally possible). The man has a patent because he created AND popularized the device and HE should receive the monetary benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I hope Louie sues the **** out of the manufacturers of those devices (if legally possible). The man has a patent because he created AND popularized the device and HE should receive the monetary benefits.
    I believe the law needs a product to only be changed by 10% to void any copyrights/patents, those things posted above are far too complicated and more than likely complete rubbish.

Isn't one of the biggest draws of doing reverse hypers the traction and stretch you get during the swing at the bottom? Those machines and even the improve methods posted above don't go down far enough to stretch the hamstrings/glutes/lower back area. I'm actually trying to modify a home made GHR right now so I have the adequate room to swing my legs back under far enough.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    Isn't one of the biggest draws of doing reverse hypers the traction and stretch you get during the swing at the bottom? Those machines and even the improve methods posted above don't go down far enough to stretch the hamstrings/glutes/lower back area. I'm actually trying to modify a home made GHR right now so I have the adequate room to swing my legs back under far enough.
    Yes, that is excellent.

The best alternative that I've used to a Reverse Hyper is using a miniband attached to a preacher curl bench. Put your stomach where your elbows would be for curling. Felt the most like a RH. Not the worst solution.

I think doing band good mornings and letting your low back round (obviously done for high reps and not a heavy band) has a similar feel of pumping blood into the lumbar area. Not as good as RHs, but a cheap alternative if you are using RHs for rehab purposes.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Louie himself told me once a good alternative is to set the sfaety ins in your power rack and lay a borad over them and let your legs swing underneath. I did that for a while until ai bought the thing new york barbells sells. Nothing works as good as the real reverse hyper but the key to it as others have mentioned is the stretch you get form it. Even the pos I have has helped keep my lower back form getting to sore and helped my pull a ton.

I have used one similar to this and did not really like it all that much.

As others have said there is no swing/ stretch which makes it quite different.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    I have used one similar to this and did not really like it all that much.

As others have said there is no swing/ stretch which makes it quite different.
    The Y that I train at has something similar to that machine, I never felt it did much for my back. I wouldnt know how to compare it to a rev hyper as I have never used one.

I have always wondered how rev hyper would help out with lower back rehab I know that many people swear by it. I have a compressed nerve root on the right side of my L-5 so its a exercise I have wanted try but never gotten a chance to do.

Wannabebig Member
    Dont hope im rehasing something old, but whats the difference between the strap reverse hyper and the one with the chain and the one with the pendulum like in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uQ29DMYb6c

And if you were to get one, which one would it be? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Frietbakker View Post
    Dont hope im rehasing something old, but whats the difference between the strap reverse hyper and the one with the chain and the one with the pendulum like in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uQ29DMYb6c

And if you were to get one, which one would it be? :-)
    Pendulum is the hardest one IMO as the weight is behind you which makes it that much harder. I don't think these are for sale though yet.

The chain hyper (also not available) is my favorite and can be loaded with a lot more weight than all the others due to it's design. I like to push the weight on these and use it more of a strength builder than for pre-hab/re-hab. The chain also allows for rotation which adds extra difficulty and benefits.

The pro-hyper which uses the strap is the original and one i use a lot also. I like using a short strap on this as it really stretches my lower back out.

There are also a couple of other variations of the hyper which you can view here http://www.westside-barbell.com/reverse-hyper/
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

Quote Originally Posted by dbc3po View Post
    Louie himself told me once a good alternative is to set the sfaety ins in your power rack and lay a borad over them and let your legs swing underneath. I did that for a while until ai bought the thing new york barbells sells. Nothing works as good as the real reverse hyper but the key to it as others have mentioned is the stretch you get form it. Even the pos I have has helped keep my lower back form getting to sore and helped my pull a ton.
    This is how I do mine too. I lay 2 bars across the pins, and then put a board over top to lay on. I usually tie bands off to the uprights of the rack and use that as resistance.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW