The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

About training heavy deadlifts

Just as an example, here's how my last Deadlifting session went:

-45 x 10
    -95 x 5
    -135 x 4
    -185 x 3
    -225 x 2
    -275 x 1
    -315 x 1
    -355 x 1
    -390 x 1
    -315 x 3
    -275 x 5

My lower back was pretty toast for squats two days later. I mainly wanted to hit the 390 but decided to do extra sets after that. My question though is: if I had stopped after the 390 x 1, could that have been considered a productive workout? The sets preceding 390 (my current 1RM) were considered warming up I suppose, but at the same time it's not like they are really easy things to lift starting at the 275-315 area.

So I don't know what to really consider work sets, were the 315 and 355 "work sets?" And I don't know if I'm supposed to be done after I max or if I should do a couple extra sets. I am deadlifting every 4-5 days at the moment, with squats inbetween those.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I just want to say a 390 lb deadlift at 158 lbs is great!! What you are doing must be working. I like to do more sets with lower reps to maintain proper form. Higher reps = fatigue = bad form, for me anyway.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

I think it really just depends on how you are progressing and recovering. There's no way I could do anything close to this every 4-5 days, but if it's working it may OK for you right now. If it's holding back your squats because of low back soreness, you may have to scale back a bit. I guess it ultimately depends on how it's working and if you are trying to emphasize one lift over another. What kind of program are you following?

Personally, I would of stopped after the 390x1 and move on to something else.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    I just want to say a 390 lb deadlift at 158 lbs is great!! What you are doing must be working. I like to do more sets with lower reps to maintain proper form. Higher reps = fatigue = bad form, for me anyway.
    Thanks man. It is my favorite lift, but clearly comes with some major taxing to the body haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    I think it really just depends on how you are progressing and recovering. There's no way I could do anything close to this every 4-5 days, but if it's working it may OK for you right now. If it's holding back your squats because of low back soreness, you may have to scale back a bit. I guess it ultimately depends on how it's working and if you are trying to emphasize one lift over another. What kind of program are you following?
    Basically what I'm doing is:

A:
    Squats
    OH Press
    Rows
    Dips
    Core assistance

B:
    Deadlifts
    Bench
    Chinups
    Core assistance

I lift every M-W-F, alternating between A-B-A and B-A-B the following week. The Squats are 3x5, the rest of the lifts are generally something like 3x5-8 or 2x8-ish, but the Deadlifts are kind of just whatever. When I'm feeling up to it I'll work up to a 1RM (attempting to break previous PR) and other days I'll just do some triples or something. So it's just going by the flow, but I want a bit more direction because like you said, it is rather taxing on my hips/body to do what I just did on Wednesday, and I don't want my following Squat session to always be hindered.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Personally, I would of stopped after the 390x1 and move on to something else.
    I will have to try that next time and see if I can squat properly the next session, thanks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.