Thread: meet advice...

Basement Warrior

meet advice...

I am a relative newcomer to competing and looking for advice about attempts and realistic goals for my meet this Saturday (competing raw). I had been making pretty steady strength gains, and my first few meets I basically went in with a PR goal/number in mind, then attempts went 90%, 95% and then my set goal for the 3rd. I have yet to missed a lift (probably too conservative at times). This past training period has not gone well, and for various reasons (some known, others not sure) it does not appear that I am as strong as I was going into my last meet.

So question is... should I go in with a plan to hit PR's regardless or should I just try to hit the best numbers I can for that day?

I'm by no means a professional, but I've competed in several meets. If your not feeling your best, you need to start with something that you know you can lift and then work your way up. I think everyone should have a goal of setting a new PR, but if your not feeling good about it, do what is necessary to win or place within your means.

My general plan is always
    - open light to get into the meet. Should never be worried about your opener. In gear sometimes you have to open a little heavier then you like because of touching/depth issues, but raw this is not a concern.

- 2nd attempt go for a very small pr (ie 2.5kg/5lbs) if the training cycle has gone good this is usually not to bad.

- 3rd attempt judge how hard the 2nd was and base it off that. If you open the dead at 600 then goto 660 for a 2nd attempt and its a grinder, go 672 or something and don't jump to 705 like so many people do and always miss.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

This question makes me wonder the same about an upcoming meet. The meet i'm entering isn't raw, but being that i'm new to shirted benching and still working the kinks out, what's anyone's opinion on me lifting raw on my first attempt just to get something on the board?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    This question makes me wonder the same about an upcoming meet. The meet i'm entering isn't raw, but being that i'm new to shirted benching and still working the kinks out, what's anyone's opinion on me lifting raw on my first attempt just to get something on the board?

Tom
    I did that at my first two meets. At that point, I was only getting 30-40 lbs out of the shirt. I took my opener, put the shirt on, took a warmup, then waited to take my 2nd attempt. If you get more out of the shirt, it's trickier. You need to warmup in the shirt, take it off the for open, then make sure you get it back on right.

Are you doing bench only or full power? I'd say just go for it in the shirt if you're bench only. Full power, I'd open raw because you want to post a total.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Im with selk,

Since your raw open easy as hell. Make it basically your last warm up. Then go for a 5 LB PR, then go nuts on a third.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Im with selk,
    thats because i got that method from your training log hahaha
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Im with selk,

Since your raw open easy as hell. Make it basically your last warm up. Then go for a 5 LB PR, then go nuts on a third.
    Good advice... I generally open w/ a weight I can triple.

The second and third attempts are for PR's and all the marbles!!!

It's just bench only. I was just curious because I have yet to master the bench shirt and I'm only 4 wks out of the meet. The only weight I have been able to touch in so far is 45 lbs over my raw max. These bench shirts are much trickier than I ever imagined.

I try to open at 85% or something I can tripple. Then a PR then see what's left. Sometimes you find yourself playing a numbers game with another lifter and make sure you're in the best spot you can be in.

Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    It's just bench only. I was just curious because I have yet to master the bench shirt and I'm only 4 wks out of the meet. The only weight I have been able to touch in so far is 45 lbs over my raw max. These bench shirts are much trickier than I ever imagined.
    That's fine as long as you can press it easily. I can't touch anywhere near my raw max in my shirt.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron