The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

wide squat hip pain

hey guys i was wondering if anyone could help me out with this strange hip pain ive been getting during squats. at the bottom of the squat while using a wide stance, (just outside the shoulders), i get a very uncomfortable sharp pain in my hips. stretching doesnt seem to help, but maybe im not stretching correctly. the only way to avoid this pain is to do narrow stance squats,(feet about 10 inches apart). while this works, it is not the best for having balance. thank you

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Have you tried reducing your volume?
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Všter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

Wannabebig Member
    yea ive been trying lesser weight, but it even gets me with as little as 135lbs. i still work through the pain and do sets up to around 225lbs, although i probably shouldnt

I meant volume as in number of sets and/or reps.
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Všter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I get hip pain during squats and deads. I've noticed that it is significantly less uncomfortable if I make sure my feet are parallel instead of facing outward like \ /. It's a bit harder to balance but, at least for me, it's helped a lot.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Banned
    I got hip pain in my right hip flexor from wide stance squats. Fixing it was as simple as taking some time off, taking large doses of ibuprofen and stretching. Its most likely a very persistent form of tendinitis which is annoying to heal.

Wannabebig Member
    i tried the parallel stance and it feels much better. only down side to this is that i cannot get as low and my feet end up like this \ / by the end of 6 reps. but hey its better that than to have pain

Wannabebig Member
    hey guys the pain is back! parallel stance doesn't even help. im currently only squatting 225 for 6 but the pain is beginning to halt gains. any suggestions are welcome!

Focus on stretching every day. Make sure to hit your ITB bands and hip flexors. I have the same problem and not only do I stretch daily I also foam roll and get a monthly deep tissue massage.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by john o View Post
    Focus on stretching every day. Make sure to hit your ITB bands and hip flexors. I have the same problem and not only do I stretch daily I also foam roll and get a monthly deep tissue massage.
    I do pretty much the same, and every time I sumo deadlift (or squat wide stance) my hips are somewhat destroyed for a while. The foam rolling helps immensely.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

You should never work through the pain. You are just going to make matters worse. I have hip pain too. It started while squatting. I saw a doc and he thinks it's just a strained hip flexor. I got some ant-inflammatories. I haven't done squats or legs period in about 2 weeks and it is getting better but not there just yet. Go see a sports dr. and just work your upper body until the problem is solved. It could be something as small as a strain or as bad as a torn labrum or something along those lines. Don't make it worse by continuing to lift.

I had the same problem and was continuing to squat narrower and narrower until it didn't hurt anymore, but eventually that's going to cause it's own problems. The issue seemed to be not giving my body enough time to heal and rid tiself of buildup of scar tissue in the area. The onyl way to solve that is to stop squatting for a couple weeks and let it heal. You can get some deep tissue work done there in the meantime and that might help it heal faster, too. Once that is doen then just gradually build up in weight and volume again, but don't go back to the volume you were doing before, or change it up so you have more days to rest between squat sessions. If you do what you did before you'll just have the same problem again eventually (and probably sooner).
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I can't believe no one's said this before, but get yourself a pair of power briefs or some inzer warm pants or SOMETHING if you're going to squat wide, or your hip flexors are going to be hurting you for a LONG time.

Good point. Invest in a good pair of power briefs.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the help guys. it just seems so strange that at one point i was squating 3x/week with no problems at up 275 for sets of 6 and now i dont even want to go near 185. im goin to get checked out by a chiro maybe they can point me in the right direction

From experience: Take a break!!!!! I had the exact pain when I was doing wide stance squatting. Even with very light weight I would get that sharp pain on the way down. I know it is not fun. I made it worse by squatting through the pain. DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE!! Take a break!! Stretch every day. Come back to squatting later in a few weeks, maybe two or three. It took me three weeks to heal almost completely, from there, I made sure I warmed up very good for 10 minutes with, jumping jacks (excellent), hamstring stretching, butterflies, etc... Once you get going with no pain, you will be there again and squatting wide again. The best thing to do now is to take a break. It won't heal in a DAY. Seriously, forget about squats for now We love them, but you might not squat at all if it hurts and IT WILL NEVER HEAL NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. You know the rule of thumb:

IF IT HURTS, IT'S NOT WORKING.
    Last edited by Ryumexicano; 06-09-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

Wannabebig Member
    hey guys just an update my hips are starting to feel better. not 100% there but theyre getting better. im just wondering if anyone could help me as far as a diagnosis?? im not sure what it would be called but i get a sharp pain in the joint of my hip when i squat low, or even like say when im bending over and i pull my foot up and sideways to put a sock on. its in the outside of my hip right about where your leg becomes your butt. any diagnosis's are welcome! thanks guys