Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going for 210!! (Bench Tips Needed)

Wannabebig Member

Going for 210!! (Bench Tips Needed)

Im going for 210 today and Im kind of nervous. I threw up 205 last friday but it was quite a challenge. Is there anything I can do to better my chances?? Someone told me to use a hook grip, or stiffen every muscle in my body? Got any other ideas guys? I gotta do this lol!!

Wannabebig Member
    get a good warm up like jogging a short distance, stretch, and maybe do a warm up set of light weight bench press 10 reps.

Also when you lift the 210, be sure to explode through the lift like your trying to hit the ceiling, that will help you recruit more muscle fibers.

Push hard.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Do it without a spotter. I bet you get it up.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Wannabebig Member
    ^^ My g/f spots lol... I'll get it I hope. Im just really nervous. I always am on PR day but I havent failed to go up 5lbs a week since I started lifting serious bout 8 weeks ago so well see what happens. Wish me luck.. Ill do the warmup, push, explode and have a spotter lol!

You max every week?
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Wannabebig Member
    ^^ Sure do? Like last week I did 205 so fir this week my lifts were focused around 80% of 205. If I do 210 this week I will focus that life around 80% of 210 for next week.. If I dont go up 5lbs a week..I repeat the cycle as needed and try, try again.

You might hit the PL section and do some reading about benching and benching form. If you're that worried, don't use any clamps to hold the weights on. If you get stuck and your g/f can't get it up (I won't go any further with this), then rock to one side and dump the weights.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

If you get stuck and your g/f can't get it up (I won't go any further with this)

::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

well?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    well?
    It appears OP benched without a spotter and failed to get the bar up
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

lolz

He must still be trapped under the bar.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Wannabebig Member
    ** Comes back Huffing**

I couldn't do it guys =-(... I got half way up and strained my milk trying to get it past the sticking point. De loaded, waited 5 mins and threw 205 up like I had nothing else to do. Crazy how 5 measly pounds can defeat a man lol. Oh well. I'll cycle through another week and get it next time!! I was pretty discourged but hey, not the end of the world right...Just try try again.

Question however. When I was doing the 210 I felt a crazy strain in my clavical area and my inner shoulder in the middle above my pecs. Never felt this before and it was really uncomfortable. Is that Normal??
    Last edited by Schieler; 05-01-2010 at 11:13 AM.

I wouldnt recommend trying to max when only at 210. Keep your form perfect and increase in 3x5 across. That will mean needing to drop the weight, which means checking your ego.

Going for a 1RM shouldnt be a crap shoot, it should be planned out and completing the lift should be unquestionable, especially at 210lbs. No offense intended.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-01-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    ^^ no offense taken bud.

I max every week just to keep my spirits high or I get frustrated lol, no ego really just cause im lame and get bored with out results lol. I do see your point however :: strokes chin:: lol..
    Im currently on a 5x5 rep scheme and usually do 165 across for right now. I can do all 5 sets at 165 so I might up it to 170...Or were you suggesting I transition to a 3x5 brother? Thanks zen
    Last edited by Schieler; 05-01-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Understand that gaining 5 lbs a week on a lift isn't sustainable indefinitely.
    If it were, we'd all be upping our bench max by an astonishing 260 pounds annually.

Aint gonna happen.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Schieler View Post
    ^^ no offense taken bud.

I max every week just to keep my spirits high or I get frustrated lol, no ego really just cause im lame and get bored with out results lol.
    Needing to keep your spirits high is a form of ego gratification. You don't need that... just progress as a novice should and you will be in very capable and excellent hands.

Novices perform well at 3x5 across. It is low enough volume to sustain bi-weekly progress and allows for an increase to 5x5 when 3x5 becomes too little. This is why proper programming starts simple and progresses in complexity as the lifter needs the complexity. The idea is not to just jump on a WS split or 5/3/1 just because it looks cool, save those for when you need the complexity. It is just like learning... you can't go read unless you understand the language. Sure, you can pick up some Nietzsche, but if you don't know the language it's not going to do a bit of good and will probably make you worse off when you have to go back and learn the basics.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-01-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

You need a better progression plan.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    3x 5 eh? Should I up the load than? I can do 165 at a 5x5 routine so if Im doing less volume should I up the intensity? Well my previous plan was working pretty well actually. In about 8 weeks I put 40lbs on my bench max. What program would you all reccomend? I was using a varient of the texas method.

Nobody has mentioned changing routines or sets and reps, but several have mentioned progression. Your progression plan is what you need to change. You need a progression plan that will have you hitting new PRs without maxing out and failing every week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

It seems a lot of people are ignorant how the body adapts to stress. It explains why HIT doesn't work for a lot of people and why maxing out every week is a straight path to a plateau.

I am about to get my blog up and running, I may do an article and or video that explains it in basic terms.

Anyone interested in contributing to my blog, its going to be a strength training, personal development and lifestyle design resource. Let me know if you'd like to help generate some content.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Wannabestronger
    woops wrong post. sorry
    Last edited by The Dare Devil; 05-19-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Banned
    Another thing is mental state and I find it plays a big role in my lifts. If I feel nervous or intimidated when I lift more weight, my lift almost always suffers. The work outs that I go into that I don't really feel like doing that day, are usually most worst workouts - I tire more easily, I give up more easily.

You mentioned being nervous, and seem to being approaching it with the attitude that you may very well not be able to do it. If you doubt and give up mentally before trying (for a modest increase like 5 or 10 lbs) you are more likely to fail.
    Last edited by ChrisIsDaBoy; 05-19-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIsDaBoy View Post
    Another thing is mental state and I find it plays a big role in my lifts. If I feel nervous or intimidated when I lift more weight, my lift almost always suffers. The work outs that I go into that I don't really feel like doing that day, are usually most worst workouts - I tire more easily, I give up more easily.

You mentioned being nervous, and seem to being approaching it with the attitude that you may very well not be able to do it. If you doubt and give up mentally before trying (for a modest increase like 5 or 10 lbs) you are more likely to fail.
    I agree, you gotta go in with the attitude that when you get under the bar it's coming up. No doubt in your mind. I went into the weight room today saying I'm gonna get 185 6 times for HCT-12. Lo and behold, I got it up pretty easily.