Thread: From 4x/week wrkout to 3x/week

From 4x/week wrkout to 3x/week

Hey All,

So back in January when Tom M had his Q and A thread, I asked him for a new 4x week workout. It was monday - dlifts, pull ups, t-bar, superset pull ins/pulldowns, dbell row... tues - bench, dbell bench, decline fly, incline hammer, cable cross ... thurs - squats, lunges, SL DL's, superset leg ext and leg curls... fri - milt press, close grip bench, barbell curls, OH extensions, SS shoulder flies.. SS close grip bench, pushdowns, SS preachers, hammers...

So I recently graduated college from Villanova University and am now on the job hunt. While i took myself from a scrawny HS runner at 6'1'' 155 lbs to a lean 6'1'' 185 lbs, I think I should focus more on the jobs and such and maybe cut from 4x/week workout to 3x/week workout with running once or twice a week. I would love to put on another 5-10 lbs of lean muscle as well.... My goals have been to stay lean and fit and cut, but just have a bit more mass.

Do you guys know how i could structure this workout. I just ran, but I could feel my squats still from 2 days before... what is the best way to go about this. Thanks! Also any diet help would be awesome as well.

Pete

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Personally, I think its hard to make progress (after the first 3-4 months) with three-times a week training. Why not split your body into three separate workout in a four-days a week program? Something like:
    Monday: Lower body
    Tuesday: Chest, Front and Side Delts, Triceps
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: Lats, Midback, Rear Delts, Biceps
    Friday: Lower body
    Saturday and Sunday: off
    etc.

You can knock out fast 35-40 minute workouts and limit the running as an extra. You should stay lean as long as you get in good protein, heathy fats and limit your carbs. If time is tight you can go in and just do three to five exercises each workout and really make strength gains. With a revolving split like this, you train each functional part more than once a week but can do the volume you need to build muscle. Just something to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Colescott View Post
    Personally, I think its hard to make progress (after the first 3-4 months) with three-times a week training.
    Personally, I disagree.

I have made great gains using a 3x a week template for about a year now. I have added close to 250 pounds on my big 3 total in the past year using a 3x a week template between Starting Strength and 5/3/1.

To the OP, if you want to work out 4 times a week, do it. An extra hour a week to get that 4th lift in isn't going to make or break you getting a job.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Personally, I disagree.

I have made great gains using a 3x a week template for about a year now. I have added close to 250 pounds on my big 3 total in the past year using a 3x a week template between Starting Strength and 5/3/1.

To the OP, if you want to work out 4 times a week, do it. An extra hour a week to get that 4th lift in isn't going to make or break you getting a job.
    Good point, Tn. I should have been more specific. You mention your progress and they are strength gains. Three-times a week works well for that. Muscle hypertrophy requires some volume. While I am sure your strength gains also brought on some added size, for someone that is an ectomorph like the original poster sounds to be, he may need a bit more. Since this site is split pretty evenly between those looking primarily for strength and those looking primarily for size (with 90% of us wanting some of each), I think it depends on what he's looking for.

Either way, if he does a three-day a week routine, I would have him at least split it in two parts (Monday: A; Wednesday: B; Friday: A; Monday: B, etc) or switch the exercises (Wide Olympic Squats one session; Front Squats the next). Some can do the same workout three times a week for awhile without burnout. They are a rarity.

I need to re-start the Q&A, that was fun but I was short on time and was not able to keep up for a little bit.

Here is a 3-day program that a lot of people have done well with:

Tom Mutaffis 3-Day Split:

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

It covers all major muscle groups, utilizes compound movements, and still leaves your time for running / conditioning.

Is this in line with what you were looking for?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Colescott View Post
    Good point, Tn. I should have been more specific. You mention your progress and they are strength gains. Three-times a week works well for that. Muscle hypertrophy requires some volume. While I am sure your strength gains also brought on some added size, for someone that is an ectomorph like the original poster sounds to be, he may need a bit more. Since this site is split pretty evenly between those looking primarily for strength and those looking primarily for size (with 90% of us wanting some of each), I think it depends on what he's looking for.

Either way, if he does a three-day a week routine, I would have him at least split it in two parts (Monday: A; Wednesday: B; Friday: A; Monday: B, etc) or switch the exercises (Wide Olympic Squats one session; Front Squats the next). Some can do the same workout three times a week for awhile without burnout. They are a rarity.
    Good discussion, I agree.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

As the other guys "fished" out of the conversation, a lot depends on the way you split the routine and the over-all volume.

If it's a full-body routine, I prefer a two day schedule.

If it's a two way split (upper/lower or push/pull), I prefer a three day schedule.

If you split the body parts up further, then a three, four, or five day schedule might work well.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I need to re-start the Q&A, that was fun but I was short on time and was not able to keep up for a little bit.

Here is a 3-day program that a lot of people have done well with:

Tom Mutaffis 3-Day Split:

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

It covers all major muscle groups, utilizes compound movements, and still leaves your time for running / conditioning.

Is this in line with what you were looking for?
    Tom yes, this looks great.... do you think I am hampering my goals? Adding 5-10 lbs of lean muscle mass? by switching from the 4x a week you suggested to this? and maybe throw in a running day on tuesday?? or thursday?? Also how about reps for these, low for the compound lifts, higher for isolation??