The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Next Q&A: Cardio for Fat Loss and Conditioning

Hey guys, my next Q&A column is going to cover your questions on anything and everything related to CARDIO for fat loss and conditioning.

Please post your comments and questions in this thread.

Thanks!

-Shelby

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What is the efficacy of fasted cardio in the morning? Tips for programming this in to a strength program?

Is walking ~30min in the morning on an empty stomach productive for fat loss?

Would sled pulling combined with hill sprints be an efficient way to up conditioning while burning fat?

Is combining a very low calorie diet ( protein sparing modified fast) with cardio efficient or a quick way to burn out?

I currently eat over maintenance on training days, MWF (high protein/high carb). Below maintenance on T/TH (high protein, moderate fat, low carb) and around maintenance on the weekend. I am thinking of adding morning walking sessions on an empty stomach on T/Th, would this be productive? My goal is to build strength, some lean mass and keep fat gain minimal or possibly promote fat loss.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-24-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Wannabebig Member
    ^ all great questions, thanks.

Keep them coming, guys.

Wannabebig Member
    What are the differences between traditional cardio and complexes when it comes to fat loss?

How much cardio is too much cardio? i.e how much cardio will put my muscles into a catabolic state?

How effective is traditional cardio for the sub 10% body fat people trying to get even lower?

Thanks! - Matt

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Since our bodies can only handle so much training in any given week, what is the ideal balance of focus between heavy lifting and HIIT/cardio when trying to promote muscle mass and keep fat gain to virtually zero by maximizing nutrient partitioning? (I currently lift heavy full-body M-W-F and do some HIIT work on T-Th-S)
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

House Lannister
    What type of cardio do you prescribe to your clients? HIIT, sprints, etc.? What about your clients who are focusing on muscle gain? Fat loss?

Great questions guys, keep em coming!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by shelbystarnes View Post
    Hey guys, my next Q&A column is going to cover your questions on anything and everything related to CARDIO for fat loss and conditioning.

Please post your comments and questions in this thread.
    Shelby,

I'd be interested in a description of the mechanisms of cardio energy expenditure; IE, using up local glycogen stores vs. burning fat vs. catabolism as a function of the type of cardio (LISS, intervals, tabata intervals, etc.) and duration, etc. I always find if I learn more about the processes I gain a better understanding of the end result.

And a discussion of the importance of lifting with cardio to maintain mass gains.

thanks,

Philip

Keep the questions coming guys - Shelby is competing next weekend and then he is gonna get writing this, so still time to get your questions in!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal