The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

How Many of you Compare your body (parts, proportion, symmetry) to Other People?

I do it, lik one of the 1st things i do is asses a persons body. You know there strengths and weaknesses

Well i was talkin to my girl and i mentioned it to her and she thinks that means im self concious. She says you shouldnt compare your body to other people, only worry about yours. In my mind i was thinkin Umm hold on sonny i call bs cuz how would u kno what you need to work on? Either way im still gonna critique peoples body (in a constructive way) to myself.

How many of you do this?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

your girl is right.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Yeah... I'm with your woman on this one man.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    I do it, lik one of the 1st things i do is asses a persons body. You know there strengths and weaknesses

Well i was talkin to my girl and i mentioned it to her and she thinks that means im self concious. She says you shouldnt compare your body to other people, only worry about yours. In my mind i was thinkin Umm hold on sonny i call bs cuz how would u kno what you need to work on? Either way im still gonna critique peoples body (in a constructive way) to myself.

How many of you do this?
    Are you comparing others to yourself because you are competitive and use it for motivation?

Either way I would not worry about what anyone else is doing. Each person has different genetics, responsibilities, etc. which can effect their progress and physique.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Yea i use it for motivation, not to mope around and say how good sum1 else is. For example i squat around 420 right now and another sophmore my age squats like 500. i keep him in mind when im squatting to push myself harder to reach a certain goal

Well aight guess ppl are different, i sorta use it as a way of looking at ppl that are better than me to push myself harder.

Banned
    I squat 505. Your post just got silly.
    Last edited by ChrisIsDaBoy; 05-23-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Yea i use it for motivation, not to mope around and say how good sum1 else is. For example i squat around 420 right now and another sophmore my age squats like 500. i keep him in mind when im squatting to push myself harder to reach a certain goal

Well aight guess ppl are different, i sorta use it as a way of looking at ppl that are better than me to push myself harder.
    yea that's why I like to go to a public gym, seeing better athletes gives me another reason to work harder.
    I just wanna get more toned. -The lazy guy

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I think most guys have compared the size of one very crucial body part to others'.

All joking aside, I actually don't. I generally just see others and think "he's inspirational" or think "he's not." In both cases it is a motivation to better myself.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-23-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm 23 and I look young for my age. I am 6'2" and skinny, but I'm wirey as hell and tough as nails. I see guys mug me when I walk by, I know they are sizing me up and I smile and laugh inside because I just tell myself, "they can get some". You are one of those guys.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
    I'm 23 and I look young for my age. I am 6'2" and skinny, but I'm wirey as hell and tough as nails. I see guys mug me when I walk by, I know they are sizing me up and I smile and laugh inside because I just tell myself, "they can get some". You are one of those guys.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    Sometimes me and my friends will flex are arms and see who's is bigger and stuff, usually just joking around tho.

How many of you do this?
    I have realized that there will always be someone smaller than you and there will always be someone bigger than you, so why compare? It's just a merry-go-round of pointless comparisons if you are always comparing yourself to others in order to determine what you should look like.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    I have realized that there will always be someone smaller than you and there will always be someone bigger than you, so why compare? It's just a merry-go-round of pointless comparisons if you are always comparing yourself to others in order to determine what you should look like.
    It's human nature to size someone up. Some people are just able to look past it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
    What a totally insecure and rediculous comment to make.
    "they can get some"......you really think people are "sizing" you up? Sounds like a 1980's action movie hero !!

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I picture this thread going to wonderful places...

To each their own.
    If it gets you motivated to pushyourself further then by all means OP, go for it. Just make sure you really are just doing it for motivation and aren't just telling yourself that.

Extra lulz at the "come get some comment."
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs