The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

HCT-12 right for me??

Hey guys,

I've been reading these forums for years now but this is actually the first time I've taken a step to actually doing anything at the gym. It really is unfortunate I waited this long without doing anything, but it was for medical reasons. It's also for the same medical reasons (ironically enough) that I am deciding to actually return to the gym.

I have ulcerative colitis, a digestive disease that rendered me practically bedridden for most of the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2010 -- approximately 6 months to a year. The disease affected my ability to eat correctly, which affected my energy, my muscle mass and my confidence.

As of right now, I'm in the process of recovering. I would say I am 70% better. I am currently 6'0 tall, weighing in at 150 lbs (...yeah, I know). My general question is: is this program right for me? Last time my disease kicked in, it was after I got sick and stopped working out. I found that hitting the gym really helped me relieve stress, which really helped keep any symptoms of my disease at bay. I'm not looking for an "easy" program, but I am looking for something that won't tax me immensely or be too intense. My doctor has suggested I start working out to help relieve stress. Would this program be suitable for someone like me? Secondly, is this program viable, even if I cannot eat specifically like was outlined in the Nutritional Guide to the HCT-12?

I would not be able to eat correctly for a bit. I imagine, I will become able to eat better and in larger quantities as I slowly heal, but for the time being, I'm just wondering if there is any point in trying the program if I cannot eat correctly.

Any response would be greatly appreciated. I do realize I need to discuss this with my doctor and I have. He has told me that there would be no negative effect in weight lifting. My only concern is that whether I can progress without eating correctly for a while. If anyone here has any experience with Ulcerative Colitis (or its brother, Crohn's disease) and the HCT-12, your comments would prove invaluable.

Thanks in advance guys,

Tom

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Tom,

I would ease into a general training routine (light activity) before beginning any type of intensive program. Since you have a serious medical condition I would also discuss your training with your physician to be sure that there will not be any adverse effects from intense exercise.

If you need help putting together a basic 'starter' program I would be happy to help you with that.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Tom,

I would ease into a general training routine (light activity) before beginning any type of intensive program. Since you have a serious medical condition I would also discuss your training with your physician to be sure that there will not be any adverse effects from intense exercise.

If you need help putting together a basic 'starter' program I would be happy to help you with that.
    I have already discussed it with my doctor. He doesn't think that training at the gym, intensive or not, would negatively affect me, unless it included eating things that might disturb my digestive functioning.

As for a "starter" program, any insight would be much appreciated. What do you suggest are starter exercises? I thought the beauty of HCT-12 was auto-regulation, meaning that I could balance how my body was feeling that day with how intense I let my training be.

Thanks for your quick response though!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Case04 View Post
    I have already discussed it with my doctor. He doesn't think that training at the gym, intensive or not, would negatively affect me, unless it included eating things that might disturb my digestive functioning.

As for a "starter" program, any insight would be much appreciated. What do you suggest are starter exercises? I thought the beauty of HCT-12 was auto-regulation, meaning that I could balance how my body was feeling that day with how intense I let my training be.

Thanks for your quick response though!
    I agree that incorporating auto-regulation is better than going with a specific progression template. For anyone who is beginning weight training (or re-starting) I always recommend a few lower volume and lower intensity workouts to allow your body to adapt.

This program can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending on your current level of fitness and how quickly your body adapts to training. You could start out with higher rep ranges (8-12) and then gradually work down to where you are performing a 6RM for each movement in the HCT-12 program, but not performing the 'cluster sets'. I would recommend the 'Option One' protocol which is an Upper/Lower rotation training M/W/F. Once you are comfortable with performing a 6RM for 3-6 movements in a given workout you could then add in the Cluster Sets and go to a full HCT-12 protocol.

The few weeks of light training will keep you from getting discouraged by any extreme soreness, while also building up your strength endurance for the 'cluster sets'.

Hopefully this makes sense; I would not recommend that someone go from sedentary to a fairly demanding program without some type of 'transition phase'.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I agree that incorporating auto-regulation is better than going with a specific progression template. For anyone who is beginning weight training (or re-starting) I always recommend a few lower volume and lower intensity workouts to allow your body to adapt.

This program can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending on your current level of fitness and how quickly your body adapts to training. You could start out with higher rep ranges (8-12) and then gradually work down to where you are performing a 6RM for each movement in the HCT-12 program, but not performing the 'cluster sets'. I would recommend the 'Option One' protocol which is an Upper/Lower rotation training M/W/F. Once you are comfortable with performing a 6RM for 3-6 movements in a given workout you could then add in the Cluster Sets and go to a full HCT-12 protocol.

The few weeks of light training will keep you from getting discouraged by any extreme soreness, while also building up your strength endurance for the 'cluster sets'.

Hopefully this makes sense; I would not recommend that someone go from sedentary to a fairly demanding program without some type of 'transition phase'.
    That makes a lot of sense. I think that's exactly what I will do: start light with 'Option One' and slowly work my way into the program over several weeks. That would give my body adequate time to adapt after being practically bedridden for the better part of a year, and would also promote stress-relieving healing of my stomach... more so than just lazing around the house all day, which I normally can't stand when I'm in improving health.

I appreciate the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.