Hey guys,

I've been reading these forums for years now but this is actually the first time I've taken a step to actually doing anything at the gym. It really is unfortunate I waited this long without doing anything, but it was for medical reasons. It's also for the same medical reasons (ironically enough) that I am deciding to actually return to the gym.

I have ulcerative colitis, a digestive disease that rendered me practically bedridden for most of the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2010 -- approximately 6 months to a year. The disease affected my ability to eat correctly, which affected my energy, my muscle mass and my confidence.

As of right now, I'm in the process of recovering. I would say I am 70% better. I am currently 6'0 tall, weighing in at 150 lbs (...yeah, I know). My general question is: is this program right for me? Last time my disease kicked in, it was after I got sick and stopped working out. I found that hitting the gym really helped me relieve stress, which really helped keep any symptoms of my disease at bay. I'm not looking for an "easy" program, but I am looking for something that won't tax me immensely or be too intense. My doctor has suggested I start working out to help relieve stress. Would this program be suitable for someone like me? Secondly, is this program viable, even if I cannot eat specifically like was outlined in the Nutritional Guide to the HCT-12?

I would not be able to eat correctly for a bit. I imagine, I will become able to eat better and in larger quantities as I slowly heal, but for the time being, I'm just wondering if there is any point in trying the program if I cannot eat correctly.

Any response would be greatly appreciated. I do realize I need to discuss this with my doctor and I have. He has told me that there would be no negative effect in weight lifting. My only concern is that whether I can progress without eating correctly for a while. If anyone here has any experience with Ulcerative Colitis (or its brother, Crohn's disease) and the HCT-12, your comments would prove invaluable.

Thanks in advance guys,

Tom