The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    Deadlift Frequency Question:

So the question: finally: Is Deadlifting 5 sets of 12 every 6 days too much activity? Thoughts?
    im no expert but if you are making great gains go for it. However don't expect to be able to keep that program up for very long. Eventually it will become too taxing as weights increase.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    For me, one very important thing is how I deadlift (which affects how much I deadlift too though, so perhaps two things). When pulling conventional, I can't get up as much weight as I can going sumo. But the downside is that my hip flexors get very beat from sumo-ing at heavy weights. I can't really pull any more often than once a week. In fact every 9-10 days might actually be more optimal. One suggestion I can make is that if you want to maximize your Deadlifting frequency, get a foam roller and make sure you are massaging yourself often (I use it daily) to keep your hips and back in tip top shape (well, as tip top as they can be after Deadlifting heavy).
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I like to deadlift once per week (every 7 days).

I've always lifted w/out a spotter, so I've always gone with higher reps (5 sets of 12) on Bench and Squats in order to have less weight on the bar (for safety's sake). I recently added Deadlifts to my routine, and I'm using the same 5x12 setup for Deadlifts as I use for Bench and Squats.

I Deadlift every 6 days. My gains are completely linear ~ adding at least 10 pounds per workout.

I figured everything was fine because I'm able to add weight to the bar every session, but after reading the discussion in this thread, I'm starting to think this is too much activity.

I first noticed the fewer reps on Deadlifts when my wife started doing "Starting Strength" about 3 weeks ago ~ but I just figured it was because it was a novice workout.... She's making incredible gains btw.

So the question: finally: Is Deadlifting 5 sets of 12 every 6 days too much activity? Thoughts?
    If this is working for you then stay with it. Yes the DL can be very taxing, but some guys are more suited to it than others. If you start to feel beat up give it a rest for a couple weeks or so and then ramp it up again. Sets of 12 are probably with much lighter weights than you'd do for say 1rm or 3rm so the stress on the CNS shouldn't be as much.

I've had luck with a program of Squats from 5's to 3's then peak for a meet while my DL had lots of higher rep work. This produced a 615 sq and 615 dl in the 198's.

This is a very interesting thread...

I hated DLing 1x5 in SS, as DLs are one of my favorite lifts.

Thing is... I NEVER feel any burn/pump/soreness from deadlifts... unless I sumo-dead, then I feel it in my hams/quads. I've had people watch my form and they say my DL form is pretty solid... maybe I'm just not DLing enough weight? I've been doing HCT-12 and I'm currently DLing twice a week doing around 300lbs on my pull and I feel like Squats/OHP are way more of a endurance "taxer" than my DLs are.

I usually actually DL near the end of my workout because pulling the 300ish isn't very difficult...

Maybe my tune will change quite a bit when I get to 400ish pulls...

Okay, I may have finally reached a weight and or activity level that is taxing my body. I DL'd Wednesday afternoon, and had some serious DOMS issues start cropping up Thursday afternoon (my forearms were pounding, and my lower back was really tight).

I had to take two naps, and 4 advil. lol

My forearms (grip) are still feeling weak today. The back is better ~ which is good because I've got Squats today.
    Last edited by Iplan; 05-28-2010 at 08:46 AM.

I've always lifted w/out a spotter, so I've always gone with higher reps (5 sets of 12) on Bench and Squats in order to have less weight on the bar (for safety's sake). I recently added Deadlifts to my routine, and I'm using the same 5x12 setup for Deadlifts as I use for Bench and Squats.

I Deadlift every 6 days. My gains are completely linear ~ adding at least 10 pounds per workout.

I figured everything was fine because I'm able to add weight to the bar every session, but after reading the discussion in this thread, I'm starting to think this is too much activity.

I first noticed the fewer reps on Deadlifts when my wife started doing "Starting Strength" about 3 weeks ago ~ but I just figured it was because it was a novice workout.... She's making incredible gains btw.

I wouldn't change anything if you are making gains still. At some point you'll hit a plateau. Then you can reduce the volume to maybe sets of 5 reps. These will be really easy but you should still just start with your current weight and keep increasing every week. If you do that you should be able to go for a while before you plateau again.

Also why do you need a spotter for squats? Can you just set the side bars in the power rack? Also do you workout at home or at a gym? If you are working out at a gym you have no excuse for not getting a spotter. I workout alone and I always just ask some random person to spot me and I never have an issue. No one minds doing it.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Quote Originally Posted by SMK41 View Post
    Why do you need a spotter for squats? .
    I work out in my garage, and until recently, I didn't have a power cage/ squat rack, so I was having to do a clean & press to get the bar behind my neck. Obviously, this was a less than ideal situation. Like everyone else, I can squat a lot more than I can clean and press, so I was always a bit sketchy trying to get that bar from the ground to a 'comfy' spot on my neck/back, and back.

Then after I got the rack, I just stayed w/ what was working, except that I dumped the clean press.

BTW, squats went well today - recently I've been in a linear progression with squats too (pretty much moving up 5 or up 10lbs every time).

At some point you'll hit a plateau. Then you can reduce the volume to maybe sets of 5 reps. These will be really easy but you should still just start with your current weight and keep increasing every week. If you do that you should be able to go for a while before you plateau again.
    I'll keep that in mind when the time comes!
    Last edited by Iplan; 05-28-2010 at 12:57 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitQuick View Post
    Thing is... I NEVER feel any burn/pump/soreness from deadlifts... unless I sumo-dead, then I feel it in my hams/quads.
    Awesome. That's not a bad thing by the way. Burn/pump/soreness is not a requirement for growth. Growth is a requirement for growth XD I could punch you really hard in your spinal erectors after you deadlift if you want, but that wouldn't contribute to your growth. IMO just be grateful that deadlifts aren't destroying your body
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.