Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadlift frequency

Hybrid View

deadlift frequency

Question: Why is it that in most routines that the deadlift is the least utilized lift? For example in Starting Strength, you deadlift 1x5 every other workout but squat 3x5 every workout. And while the bench/press are rotated every other workout, they are lifted 3x5 and the DL is 1x5.

Does it have to do with CNS stress? Or is the squat just considered a "better" lift?

thanks,

philip

deadlifts are very hard on the body...especially when you start pulling some big weight.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    deadlifts are very hard on the body...especially when you start pulling some big weight.
    Prior to injuring my finger I was DL'ing 3x5, 2 times a week. Was that too much? Doc gave me the OK to resume those kind of lifts; should I back off to 1x5 1x/week and hopefully lift heavier?

To me they were hard work but fun; I love deadlifts. I'm still a newbie so I'm making gains on a regular basis (besides the finger setback...) but I would like to avoid starting bad habits young...

philip

I have made the best progress with my deadlift by pulling every 10-14 days, but as you mentioned in your intiial post there are quite a few factors. These factors include overall training program intensity/volume, recovery abilities (genetics, lifestyle, diet), and strength levels.

If you want to deadlift frequently you could go with a 'Westside' split and break your workouts up into ME (max effort) and DE (dynamic effort) days. This would allow you to pull twice per week without as much risk of overtraining.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Deadlift frequency is certainly dictated by each individuals ability to adapt and recover. I know some guys who do some "sort" of pull 3-4 times a week. Now they dont pull directly from the floor everytime. They might do rack pulls from above the knee or below the knee, they might do speed pulls. Ive just started talking to some guys about "bands" and pulling with them. I think variance is the key. I pulled 3 times a week for4-6 weeks when i got back into training because i felt my body could handle it. I just started 5/3/1 and i pull once a week. Test your body, but be smart, and see what happens.
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Banned
    i do one rep every day and so far my deadlift has increased by 30 lbs. in 2 years (225->255) which is great. the reason is that your body can forget how to deadlift after waiting a week or even longer. doing one rep a day makes this impossible. i also do the same for bench and squat. it saves a lot of time, too, because my workout is only 10-12 reps long if you include a warmup.

Quote Originally Posted by cap'n kirk View Post
    i do one rep every day and so far my deadlift has increased by 30 lbs. in 2 years (225->255) which is great. the reason is that your body can forget how to deadlift after waiting a week or even longer. doing one rep a day makes this impossible. i also do the same for bench and squat. it saves a lot of time, too, because my workout is only 10-12 reps long if you include a warmup.
    This sounds very efficient, it only took a little over 700 workouts to add 30 lbs to your deadlift.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    This sounds very efficient, it only took a little over 700 workouts to add 30 lbs to your deadlift.
    lol now that is funny

do one rep every day... your body can forget how to deadlift after waiting a week.
    ^^Ignore this^^

The deadlift uses just about every muscle in your body to lift the weight. That's tough on your whole system if you are pushing the upper end of your percentages. It just takes your body a while to fully recover from that kind of stress. Some of the very strong guys will take 2 weeks off to recover from the kind of effort they put forth in the deadlift. Guys that aren't as strong can usually get by with 3 times in two weeks or just once a week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What the hell? Unless you're a 90lb woman gains like that should have taken about 2 weeks.

Wannabebig Member
    What muscles do you use to do the deadlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by I_Esta_5 View Post
    From Wikipedia:

The deadlift is a compound movement that works grip strength, and the primary muscles used in the deadlift are the erector spinae, the gluteus maximus, adductor magnus, hamstrings, quadriceps, and the soleus.

Just about everything else is used as a stabilizer.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    quads, glutes, hamstrings, most if not all your back muscles (traps included), forearms, thumb muscles, upper and middle calves, and toes. also if you're strong, you can grip the bar wide when you deadlift to stretch your chest for size. it took me 7 months to do this with 1 plate, but now i look like a gorilla. strong, too.

Wannabebig Member
    quads, glutes, hamstrings, most if not all your back muscles (traps included), forearms, thumb muscles, upper and middle calves, and toes. also if you're strong, you can grip the bar wide when you deadlift to stretch your chest for size. it took me 7 months to do this with 1 plate, but now i look like a gorilla. strong, too.

one more question. as you push up the weight into a standing position, does that involve all the muscles you mention or is it one muscle in particular? What i mean is like in squats you need your hip/buttock (hip drive) to lift the weight not your legs. do you use your legs then for deadlifts?

thanx
    Last edited by I_Esta_5; 05-25-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Banned
    one more question. as you push up the weight into a standing position, does that involve all the muscles you mention or is it one muscle in particular? What i mean is like in squats you need your hip/buttock (hip drive) to lift the weight not your legs. do you use your legs then for deadlifts?

thanx
    it depends what your form looks like. some guys drive up straight into the bar with their legs from the start (like an olympic lifter performing a clean pull or just a conventional clean) and they end up not having to perform as much hip extension at the top. some guys pull with a more straight-legged set-up and so have to perform more lower back movement to lock the bar out. so it all depends. you can tell if you get someone to videotape your form and post it on here.

you use basically the same lower-body muscles as you would in the squat, but the bar is loaded onto your body differently (not at all with a deadlift actually) but to a different extent; one which is highly dependent on form.

Wannabebig Member
    i don't have a video camera right now. i need one lol.

Banned
    say what you will. my system is very effective. i have made all these gains while managing to lose weight - i now have a very visible four-pack and also a faint 6-pack in the morning. i also have a picture of andy bolton on my refrigerator, pulling his world record deadlift. i was there for it and i asked him what he thought of my powerlifting regimen. he smiled at me then walked away. he didnt even have to say a word to let me know it was good.

say what you will. my system is very effective. i have made all these gains while managing to lose weight - i now have a very visible four-pack and also a faint 6-pack in the morning. i also have a picture of andy bolton on my refrigerator, pulling his world record deadlift. i was there for it and i asked him what he thought of my powerlifting regimen. he smiled at me then walked away. he didnt even have to say a word to let me know it was good.
    am i being punked right now?

Please don't feed into the nonsense. There is some good information being shared in here and I'd hate to see the thread get shut down before it has a chance to help those that need it. Thanks.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

As mentioned, your deadlift frequency, as with any other exercise, is going to be dependent on your body's ability to recover from said exercise. It varies with each individual. Deadlifting is more taxing than almost any other exercise, so do it too heavy, too often, and there might be diminishing returns.

Oh, and kirk, I would prefer not to see you post anything further in this thread, and basically nothing at all until you can conduct yourself in a productive manner here. If not, we will beam you off the Enterprise.

cap-n-kirk
    30lbs in 2 years? your happy with that progress?? let me say what tom was too professional to say, thats a joke... im not gonna bash you, but thats ridiculous. please dont insult the guys on this forum by saying a 30lb increase in 2 years is anyway exceptional, much less acceptable. unless you have some physical limitation, thats crap !!!!!!! unbelievable.....sorry guys, i couldnt help it....this is either a wacked out joke or just complete nonsense........
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

When I first started lifting I had deads in my workout multiple times per week, as my lifts started to go up I began to cut down on the frequency.
    Currently I deadlift on day 4 and 8 of my two week rotation. Light the first week and heavy the second. That being said I have purposefully made that final day primarily a dead lifting day and not much else.

Every 4 weeks I take 1 week off for CNS purposes and general recuperation .

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    When I first started lifting I had deads in my workout multiple times per week, as my lifts started to go up I began to cut down on the frequency.
    That's a good point. I've only been lifting since January; and due to a finger injury I had to quit dead lifting in March. By that point in time I was DLing ~ 250lb, 3x5. I am very much still in "newbie gain" territory so I guess once things start plateauing I will need to scale back to 1x5 and focus on lifting heavy with good form.

Thanks for the lively discussion. Good stuff.

Philip

Deadlift Frequency Question:

I've always lifted w/out a spotter, so I've always gone with higher reps (5 sets of 12) on Bench and Squats in order to have less weight on the bar (for safety's sake). I recently added Deadlifts to my routine, and I'm using the same 5x12 setup for Deadlifts as I use for Bench and Squats.

I Deadlift every 6 days. My gains are completely linear ~ adding at least 10 pounds per workout.

I figured everything was fine because I'm able to add weight to the bar every session, but after reading the discussion in this thread, I'm starting to think this is too much activity.

I first noticed the fewer reps on Deadlifts when my wife started doing "Starting Strength" about 3 weeks ago ~ but I just figured it was because it was a novice workout.... She's making incredible gains btw.

So the question: finally: Is Deadlifting 5 sets of 12 every 6 days too much activity? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Iplan; 05-26-2010 at 10:01 PM.