The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Project: Recomposition; 3.5 months of work

For reference, here's the only true "before" pic I have. Wish I had better ones, but this one with part of my barbarian haircut showing will have to do.

I am 5'7" by the way. What would you guesstimate my BF% is? I'm not too good at judging and have no way of accurately testing myself.

Before (weighed about 157-ish) early February

Last Night (weighed 159.5 this morning) late May

-edit: (added photos)

As you can see I have quite a bit of size-gaining to do, which is going to happen. I don't have a desire to totally rush a bulk though and then have to rush a cut afterwards. I'd rather take it a bit more gradually than most might, and minimize the amount of cycling. We shall see though.

I started out "cutting" because I didn't like my BF%, but then things reached a point where I realized how small I am and thought why the freak am I cutting, so I started a slow bulk while managing to keep my BF% at or below where it was. So now after about 3.5 months of training altogether, I weigh a couple more lbs than I did at start, but my strength, composition, and overall conditioning is up--one of my goals has actually been to improve my functional conditioning... I didn't like getting tired from running for like 50 meters lol. The short-term goal for now is to clean bulk up to 165. I will re-evaluate from there. I figure in the grand scheme of things I could most likely make quicker progress by just cycling bulks and cuts, but this is okay with me.

And you know you like those shower curtains.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-26-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Fix, whaaaat thaaa heeeeeell????

Mad impressed bro. To pull that off in 4 months is nothing short of spectactular.

I can see you being very big and well conditioned in a fairly reasonable amount of time. I think you may have something special, keep after it brother!
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-25-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Very impressive transformation Fix. Your dedication is definitely showing. Keep up the great work.

BTW...the haircut is much improved too -- lol
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Keep doing whatever it is you are doing. It's working very well.

Banned
    excellent work fix, very good job!

House Lannister
    Looking good Fix! I think you're metabolism is definitely faster than mine haha.

That emo haircut tho....

WOW! Huge difference! Go back to the barbarian do though, the Bieber doesnt work on a guy that deadlifts 390 @ 159.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

House Lannister
    I think he'd look cooler with a shaved head...

But then again, it's not like Fix is some action figure we can change up however we want haha.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 05-25-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Fix, whaaaat thaaa heeeeeell????

Mad impressed bro. To pull that off in 4 months is nothing short of spectactular.

I can see you being very big and well conditioned in a fairly reasonable amount of time. I think you may have something special, keep after it brother!
    Dude thanks so much, your words are very meaningful to me. Expect some more questions from me soon haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Very impressive transformation Fix. Your dedication is definitely showing. Keep up the great work.

BTW...the haircut is much improved too -- lol
    Thanks! It's knowledgeable people like you who make it even possible for me to know how to do something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Keep doing whatever it is you are doing. It's working very well.
    Thanks man. I will keep doing it 'til it doesn't work any more haha.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    excellent work fix, very good job!
    I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Looking good Fix! I think you're metabolism is definitely faster than mine haha.

That emo haircut tho....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    WOW! Huge difference! Go back to the barbarian do though, the Bieber doesnt work on a guy that deadlifts 390 @ 159.

Barbarian hair won't be back for a while. California + summer =

I appreciate your kind words guise
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Also, I've updated the original post with a back and leg pic. Unfortunately I don't have before shots of those.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-26-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Amazing considering your weight hardly changed. Congrats on your progress bud!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Thanks dude! One thing that kinda sucks about looking into the future of weight gain is my shirts are gonna be too tight (some are already rather tight as is) haha.
    Lifting Journal

Impessive back shot, nice traps
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-26-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Thanks man
    Lifting Journal

So what does your training regime and diet look like?
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

I just saw the thread.. That's awesome progress dude. Great job with the recomposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    So what does your training regime and diet look like?
    I've been doing a modified version of Starting Strength with conditioning added to the final sets of my workout. Basically a complex that consists of either Dips/Chinups and some core work and burpees/jumps/mountain climbers. So it looks like this:

Workout A: Squat, OH Press, Row, Dips/Core work/conditioning
    Workout B: Deadlift, Bench, Chinups/Core work/conditioning

Also, I only Deadlift once a week (might actually drop the frequency to every 9-10 days pretty soon). On days I don't want to Deadlift, I keep the rest of the workout the same but replace Deads with Squats. And vice versa.

On off-days from lifting, I do two tabatas that consist of burpees, tuck jumps, squat jumps, mountain climbers, jump roping, shadowboxing, squat thrusts, etc. Once a week my HIIT workout will be 4 sprints + a finisher tabata. I used to sprint 3x a week but my hip flexors can't take that anymore given how heavy I am training Deadlifts.

Diet-wise, I eat big on my lifting days, lots of carbs, especially post-workout. On tabata/HIIT days, I generally eat a bit less, and keep my carbs pretty low. Mostly healthy fats and protein.

Some people say to not do cardio work when trying to gain weight (which is probably good advice for the guys who really have a hard time putting on weight), but to me it makes more sense to do the cardio, and just eat more to make up for burned calories. So you're increasing your expenditure, but at the same time you are increasing intake. This keeps your metabolism high and allows your body to partition nutrients more optimally to allow the food you eat to be used more for muscle and less for fat (although it's still your job to eat the right food at the right time).

So... IMO, lift heavy compound exercises (namely squats) 2-3x a week and perform as many HIIT sessions that your body will allow (if you factor in the short post-lifting conditioning sessions I do, that's a total of 6 HIIT sessions in some form or another each week). And basically just train as much volume of high intensity that your body can handle while making sure to eat enough to cover for lost calories, as opposed to not training as much as you could be and thereby eating less.

That being said, there are plenty of knowledgeable and more experienced members around here who would probably oppose my views, but all said and done this is what I have found to have worked effectively for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713 View Post
    I just saw the thread.. That's awesome progress dude. Great job with the recomposition.
    Thanks man I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to your progress. Do you have any pics right now for reference months down the road?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-27-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Great job,man!

Does your mom finally support your fitness goals, or are you still having to sneak protein shakes? LOL

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Rofl that's funny you remember that. I didn't even remember that until now XD

She is still a very controlling asian mom who thinks she knows what my diet should be and thinks that because she watches Dr. Oz that I shouldn't be eating anything past 8 pm, when I go to bed around 2 am. For example, the other day while I was in the kitchen heating up my post-dinner chicken (it was about 10 pm and she was about to go to bed), she was all like:

"Eating again? Why do you eat so much?"
    "Because I want to gain muscle."
    "But you already have muscle, you don't need more."
    "But I want more."
    "You don't eat like a normal person."
    "I know mom. That's because I'm not a normal person."

Lol.

That being said, she is my mom and I still need to respect her for what she does for me. She does buy my protein powder, chicken, buffalo wings, eggs, peanut butter, milk, etc. so in that sense she is supportive. But she just has a hard time with seeing me eat all the time.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Rofl that's funny you remember that. I didn't even remember that until now XD

She is still a very controlling asian mom who thinks she knows what my diet should be and thinks that because she watches Dr. Oz that I shouldn't be eating anything past 8 pm, when I go to bed around 2 am. For example, the other day while I was in the kitchen heating up my post-dinner chicken (it was about 10 pm and she was about to go to bed), she was all like:

"Eating again? Why do you eat so much?"
    "Because I want to gain muscle."
    "But you already have muscle, you don't need more."
    "But I want more."
    "You don't eat like a normal person."
    "I know mom. That's because I'm not a normal person."

Lol.

That being said, she is my mom and I still need to respect her for what she does for me. She does buy my protein powder, chicken, buffalo wings, eggs, peanut butter, milk, etc. so in that sense she is supportive. But she just has a hard time with seeing me eat all the time.
    Lol, sounds like a conversation I'd have with my mom, except that it's always that I'm not eating enough. Today, I just got back from my workout (which was pretty draining) and she asked me how I was feeling. I told her I was pretty tired, and she then told me that I should eat more. I responded, "Mom, I'm already eating 4,000 calories a day. Much more and we're going to go broke trying to feed me." Haha.

My parents also are usually pretty supportive, but they do think that I drink too much milk. I can't blame them, as sometimes I'll drink a half gallon or more a day. But, I've been doing my own grocery shopping lately and to be honest, my food for a week and a half or so minus lean meats is usually around 30-50 bucks, which isn't so bad.

I have but one thing to say sir...Nice huggies box boi!!! No seriously, man you look stellar. I'm mad impressed with the progress you've made here, it's awesome stuff. People who change are very inspiring to me and what I want to do. We feed off each other. No matter what, stay at this brother man.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

AWESOME work buddy, superb progress - keep at it, you should be proud!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I have but one thing to say sir...Nice huggies box boi!!! No seriously, man you look stellar. I'm mad impressed with the progress you've made here, it's awesome stuff. People who change are very inspiring to me and what I want to do. We feed off each other. No matter what, stay at this brother man.
    Thanks man. Yeah that was my sister's room haha. My niece is so cute. We definitely feed off each other. That's why I love this place. Without it I'd feel rather alone in my training/diet goals since most people either have no idea what they're doing or don't want to put forth the 100% effort to get there, or more likely a combination of both

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    AWESOME work buddy, superb progress - keep at it, you should be proud!
    Thanks man. For a while I've kind of thought I haven't made much progress, but looking back I suppose the time just kind of whizzed by and things happened faster than I remember them happening. It's good to have your support.
    Lifting Journal

great work man. You have a great base to fill out. Look much better with the Justin Beiber haicut than what looks like was a mullet
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Thanks man! Speaking of which, I need some new earphones. My current ones are broken, which means I hear Bieber playing in the gym half the time lol.
    Lifting Journal