Thread: PreWorkout Nutrition

Wannabebig Member

PreWorkout Nutrition

I train 1st thing in the morning. I'm usually at the gym within 15-20 minutes of waking up. I usually will do a scoop of Waxy (35g) with some free form BCAA and EAA (15-20 grams) before hitting the gym. I do not know that I could stomach too much more food/liquid in my gut as I am about to hit the weights. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue View Post
    I train 1st thing in the morning. I'm usually at the gym within 15-20 minutes of waking up. I usually will do a scoop of Waxy (35g) with some free form BCAA and EAA (15-20 grams) before hitting the gym. I do not know that I could stomach too much more food/liquid in my gut as I am about to hit the weights. Any suggestions?
    Have you tried other carbohydrates in place of waxy maize? Or do you prefer WMS over fruit / honey / maltodextrin / etc.?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    I am not a huge fan of dextrose or malto. I have not tried fruit but I'd guess something with more substance in my stomach would be worse but I'm not sure. Funny you mention honey because I was actually considering that.

I too train 30 minutes after waking, I'm experimenting at the moment. So far oats, flaxseed, and 1 scoop of protein in water 25 minutes before training seems the best. After I workout I have a protein and carb shake, 2 scoops with 49g of carb in. I then walk a fast pace to work for 25mins.

I'm interested to know if I'm getting it right, it's only been a week on HCT and early morning working out - so fr so good.

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue View Post
    I am not a huge fan of dextrose or malto. I have not tried fruit but I'd guess something with more substance in my stomach would be worse but I'm not sure. Funny you mention honey because I was actually considering that.
    My personal experience with WMS is that it is a bit heavy and therefore I would not recommend it for pre-workout nutrition.

For simple carbohydrates I would recommend either a banana or honey; honey is especially good because it is non-perishable and would not give you a lot of volume in your stomach. If you are looking for some complex carbohydrates (sustained energy) then I would recommend oatmeal.

Assuming that you are using powdered BCAA's you could always take them intra-workout instead of pre-workout to avoid feeling too full prior to training.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com