The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey J.N,

Welcome to the site and glad to know your's getting on well with the program.

Overall your calories are pretty low - seems to be in the 1,500 - 1,750 region so at 186 + the cardio you are dong that should be more than enough of a deficit to get you losing weight. I am probably at about the same and at 168lbs!

In fact, it's probably even too low, but I if you are following the plan in this article I assume you're in a hurry to drop the weight.

I would stay to the plan for week 3 and see where you're at then.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks Daniel! I know I'm probably a little too low with the calories but I do want to drop as much fat as possible in the next few weeks. My aim is to get to around 10% bodyfat, so for that I'd need to lose just under 18 lbs of fat. I lift heavy in the gym but still don't feel satisfied with my 'look'. I want a few veins to stick out and the hard-earned muscle to actually show! I'm not obsessed with six-pack abs, just want to look more like someone who goes to the gym. I do wish I could get in more protein, but this is just about as much as I can manage from a combination of diet and whey protein, on my current budget. I checked the scales today (morning of 14th day) and I weigh 183.6lbs with 17.6% bodyfat. That means i dropped another 2.4lbs this week but the very small drop in bodyfat suggests I may have lost either muscle or water or both. I guess the reading I took earlier this week was probably off for some reason, this one seems correct. Still would have wanted the bodyfat to be sub 17% though. I'm going to try and up the protein as much as I possibly can because losing muscle is NOT what I want. I am actually getting marginally stronger in the gym on most of my lifts, so I don't know how I'm still losing muscle (if that is the case).

Is there a reason you need to drop the weight so fast?

Dropping 18lbs in a few weeks is pretty tough and without a doubt you'll lose a fair amount of lean muscle.

You can't have it both ways - you either go for a steady, slow loss and preserve as much lean muscle as possible, or you do it more quickly and sacrifice some lean muscle. The former is always the best option, but of course sometimes you need to drop faster. If you do have to drop faster, be less worried about the lean muscle - it'll be what it'll be.

And forget that bf% figure if it's coming from a machine - it'll be terrible unreliable - go by the mirror.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    Well, being a Muslim, I'll be fasting for 30 days starting around 12th August, so that leaves me with about 4 weeks to lose whatever bodyfat I can. Once the month of Ramadan starts, I'll be hard pressed to follow any sort of diet or train with much intensity. The best I can hope for is to maintain my body composition during that month and then I'll go back to this program to lose the remaining fat. I don't HAVE to lose all the 18lbs of fat before Ramadan, but it'll be helpful if I can get most of the job done. However, I don't want to lose any lean muscle if I can help it, so I don't mind losing less than 2 lbs a week if it's purely bodyfat.

The diagnostic scale I have does make me suspicious too, I feel and look leaner than I did last week and with my strength in the gym, I find it hard to believe I'm actually losing muscle. It works on the principle of BIA, which I heard was more accurate than most do-it-yourself methods, but I guess it may not be as accurate as I thought.

Thanks for your tips, I think I'd rather focus on the mirror than the scale. Also, if I really feel I'm losing muscle rather than bodyfat, I will try to up my calories a bit.

Wannabebig New Member

quick help on the workout split

I plan I using this for 8 weeks to get my BF% in the single digit.

I may be reading this wrong but, it seems like week one is 3 days a week, then week two is 5 days?

1. Is that the way it should be split? alternate between 3 and 5 day weeks?

2. Can I add 30 minutes low intensity cardio after workout?

Thanks in advance,

Wannabebig New Member
    So it's been just over 11 weeks since I started and here are my results.

Starting weight, bodyfat: 188.4, 18.5%
    Current weight, bodyfat: 171.0, 13.8%

As you can see, I lost a bit of lean mass as well in addition to the fat, meaning I'm still not down to 10% which was my goal. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been following the diet to the letter in that my calories are a little lower and also I had to skip cardio for the month when I was fasting. Even now, I'm not doing enough cardio as the plan suggests, I do 30 minutes on the treadmill at a moderate intensity 4 times a week. I went up to 45 mins for a few weeks but couldn't keep that up because of my routine.
    I've pretty much plateaued for the last week or so, in fact my latest measurement showed me at a higher weight and bodyfat that the figures I gave above (those are the lowest taken a few days ago). I think my body has adapted to the low calories and my metabolism has slowed down considerably. Do you guys suggest I increase my calorie intake, by say 500 calories, and slightly reduce the duration of my weight training workouts to maybe help my body recover and speed up it's metabolism again? I weight train 4 times a week, about 35-40 mins a session and do my cardio at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by J_N View Post
    So it's been just over 11 weeks since I started and here are my results.

Starting weight, bodyfat: 188.4, 18.5%
    Current weight, bodyfat: 171.0, 13.8%

As you can see, I lost a bit of lean mass as well in addition to the fat, meaning I'm still not down to 10% which was my goal. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been following the diet to the letter in that my calories are a little lower and also I had to skip cardio for the month when I was fasting. Even now, I'm not doing enough cardio as the plan suggests, I do 30 minutes on the treadmill at a moderate intensity 4 times a week. I went up to 45 mins for a few weeks but couldn't keep that up because of my routine.
    I've pretty much plateaued for the last week or so, in fact my latest measurement showed me at a higher weight and bodyfat that the figures I gave above (those are the lowest taken a few days ago). I think my body has adapted to the low calories and my metabolism has slowed down considerably. Do you guys suggest I increase my calorie intake, by say 500 calories, and slightly reduce the duration of my weight training workouts to maybe help my body recover and speed up it's metabolism again? I weight train 4 times a week, about 35-40 mins a session and do my cardio at the end.
    In my opinion, you should take at least a week, perhaps 2 of a full diet break. Calories would be at maintenance. Expect some weight gain. It's not that it violates thermodynamics, but you probably will see an increase in fluid weight.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig New Member
    I really enjoyed reading the article and the aforementioned posts. I think Ryan does a great job of simplifying topics that could otherwise easily spiral off into unbelievable tangents. However, I do have a few questions about the diet itself. First, and this may be obvious... what comes after the diet? I was hoping to read a few more first hand experiences like J_N's above, as he exemplifies some of my concerns. Me being me (5'11/170lbs), my goal is to shed fat gain lean muscle mass. This diet plan almost seems to be for lifters who are not necessarily interested in keeping fat off, albeit for maybe a few days/weeks at a time for competitions. I am worried that after completing a diet like the one Ryan lays out, my metabolism will have slowed considerably during the process of being at such a caloric deficit, that the fat will fly right back on to my frame. Ryan also says that a diet like this is more aimed at keeping lifters from losing lean muscle mass during the process rather than gaining muscle mass, which I understand. My intentions were to begin with this diet to attack fat before taking on a program that was intended achieve gains, but now I am not so sure that it is the best idea. Thoughts??