The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

MMA fighters going Vegetarian!!!

I just read this. It was on yahoo of all places, so that tells you something

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...etarians021711

Some of the funniest things are:

"Shields uses supplements supplied by his sponsor, usually soy- or whey-based, but sometimes milk-based protein."
    Didn't know Whey wasn't a milk protein. And.

"The Fitches don’t measure portions, but Michele Fitch said the goal for Jon is a three-to-one ratio between fruits and protein, with the goal of getting 90 grams of protein daily.

“The average person needs 60 grams, but with all the intense training, I have to keep my strength up,” he said."

Wow thats a lot of protein. And.

“I try to keep my diet all organic,” said Diaz. “It’s healthier. You recover faster. Nobody trains as hard as we do.” With plenty of vegetarian restaurants in San Francisco, Shields eats out several times per week."
    Oy Vey!!!
    Last edited by Dan Fanelli; 02-18-2011 at 11:09 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Heh, I was going to have an opinion about this but all I can see are those dumbo ears looking at me when I try to read the story. I'm just gonna file this under "guy marries poorly" and call it a day...

Codeguru

Soilwork addict.
    I like how they equate eating organic as meaning you have to eat only plants.

I think after the honeymoon is over this guy is going to realize that meat is best at making meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    How many champions eat vegetarian? 3, maybe 4? The rest eat meat.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    I just cant imagine training like they do and "shooting for 90g of protein daily".

These are all top fighters. Didn't know about Fitch, but had read about the others before.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    These are all top fighters. Didn't know about Fitch, but had read about the others before.
    Around here everybdoy seems to know the secrets that the even top level athletes don't. You didn't know that about wbb? You should come in the diet section more often... we have allll sorts of great advice flying around...
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    You need a lot less protein per day when you literally aren't allowed to gain weight.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

There's nothing wrong with the vegetarian diet, when done correctly. There's also nothing wrong with a "meat eating" diet, when done correctly. The problems occur when these diets are done incorrectly. You know, the vegetarian who eats cheese pizzas and ramen noodles 24/7 or the meat-eater who camps out at Burger King all day.

Vegetarians still have plenty of great sources of fats and proteins - eggs and milk. Even vegans still have good sources of fats and proteins - beans, mainly soybeans, rice protein, etc.

I still think that meat-eating is superior, since man is a meat-eating animal. We were built to run off of proteins and fats found in animals (e.g. the omega 3's found only in animal sources). But even so, that doesn't mean that all vegetarians and vegans are automatically unhealthy.

I think all of these stories about ghastly and skinny vegetarians/vegans are overstated. A vegetarian/vegan could easily point to an overweight meat-eater. The key is to know your nutritional requirements and to follow them judiciously. That might be a little more difficult for the vegan, but it's still doable.

All of that said, it kind of annoys me when people become vegetarian or vegan for "health reasons." Whenever anyone says that they're a vegetarian because meat-eating is unhealthy, I write them off as an uneducated ******* who's afraid of dietary fat.

My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

"We were built to run off of proteins and fats found in animals (e.g. the omega 3's found only in animal sources)."

Disagree.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    "We were built to run off of proteins and fats found in animals (e.g. the omega 3's found only in animal sources)."

Disagree.
    Explain. This is merely a quote I liked. I'd like to here why you disagree.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Banned
    ^^^Its pretty obvious that eating meat is the way to go. We weren't "built" that way, but instead evolved into this situation. We evolved to survive off of the most calorie and nutrient dense foods. They just happen to be meats.

I still think taking in 90g of protein a day as a goal is pretty rediculous. Of course fighters aren't known for being the most up to date on their information. Im sure there are still a lot of them doing "road work" and crunches as a large part of their training.

The problem is, people see articles like this on yahoo, and associate lean fighters with vegetarianism, and suddenly the vegetarian diet is the solution to being lean. And its FAR from an optimal method for the average person.

because glucose is the optimal energy (by far) for our bodies (brain included)

Banned
    because glucose is the optimal energy (by far) for our bodies (brain included)
    Why does are body store fat much easier and in MUCH larger quantities then?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Why does are body store fat much easier and in MUCH larger quantities then?
    1... relative to what?

2. You're suggesting that what is more optimally utilized for fuel?

Banned
    1... relative to what?

2. You're suggesting that what is more optimally utilized for fuel?
    1. Well If someone has 500 or so grams of glycogen stored thats about 2000 calories worth. Even if they are very lean at 6% BF they probably stilll have about 40,000 calories worth of fat stored.

In addition, increasing glycogen stores is finite, but fat stores are potentially limitless if one were to choose so.

2. Neither source is more "optimally" used for fuel. The intensity of exercise and rate of energy being used will determine which is being used for fuel.

But you are looking at it as if nutrtition is entirely about supplying and replacing fuel. That is only part of the reason we eat.

1. Well If someone has 500 or so grams of glycogen stored thats about 2000 calories worth. Even if they are very lean at 6% BF they probably stilll have about 40,000 calories worth of fat stored.

In addition, increasing glycogen stores is finite, but fat stores are potentially limitless if one were to choose so.

2. Neither source is more "optimally" used for fuel. The intensity of exercise and rate of energy being used will determine which is being used for fuel.

But you are looking at it as if nutrtition is entirely about supplying and replacing fuel. That is only part of the reason we eat.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The statement was "We were built to run off of proteins and fats found in animals (e.g. the omega 3's found only in animal sources)."

Which is very misleading. It's like saying a cummins was meant to run on fryer grease. It can do it yes, but it was still meant to run on diesel fuel. Our body can use ketones for fuel, but not if glucose is present...
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-26-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Behemoth;2441645]I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The statement was "We were built to run off of proteins and fats found in animals (e.g. the omega 3's found only in animal sources)."

Which is very misleading. QUOTE]

I agree entirely with you here. But I was questioning you reasoning for why this statement isn't correct. You simply made the statement that using glycogen is more "optimal" for energy, which doesn't make any sense without the context of what your needs are.

I agree with your thoughts that you should take in a good amount of carbs IF they are needed, or can benefit you, but I dont think it has anything to do with what is the "optimal fuel source".

talk to someone in ketosis and ask them whats optimal lol

Banned
    correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe glycogen the most readily available, stored energy source for both muscle & organ use. by its nature of availability, there is a union into most optimal. i could use an analogy to help you understand the similarity between available and optimal. once glycogen is depleted, the body will move onto the fuel source with the highest availability:efficiency ratio.. which will probably be some combination of fatty acids and blood glucose.....

dan your info puzzles me.

Banned
    talk to someone in ketosis and ask them whats optimal lol
    Talk to someone thats morbidly obese and ask them whats optimal lol.

Talk to someone thats morbidly obese and ask them whats optimal lol.
    What? You're not making any sense in here.

For the most part, ketosis generally produces a much more lethargic individual than one with readily available glucose. I'm not sure how your above statement is relative to anything in this conversation.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-26-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Banned
    I dont get why you guys keep bringing up ketosis, or what is most "efficient". I really dont see what any of this has to do with this thread. The fact of the matter is, proteins and fats are MORE essential than carbs. There is no way around it. If these fighters are actually doing what they are saying, they are ignoring these facts. Ninety grams of protein on a vegetarian diet is just stupid, especially for a hard training elite athlete.

As I said above, the FUEL part of the equation is only part of the equation. If you base your entire diet off what is the most "optimal" energy source, you are going to be seriously lacking.

Jon Fitch had plenty of energy in round 3 tonight. Still like BJ more and wanted him to win the fight, but to escape the prodigy having your back two times is very impressive.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I dont get why you guys keep bringing up ketosis, or what is most "efficient". I really dont see what any of this has to do with this thread. The fact of the matter is, proteins and fats are MORE essential than carbs. There is no way around it. If these fighters are actually doing what they are saying, they are ignoring these facts. Ninety grams of protein on a vegetarian diet is just stupid, especially for a hard training elite athlete.

As I said above, the FUEL part of the equation is only part of the equation. If you base your entire diet off what is the most "optimal" energy source, you are going to be seriously lacking.
    The fact is only a small amount of protein is essential. Most people are brainwashed to believe more is better. And quite frankly the rda is quite accurate for most anybody outside bodybuilding and strength training. And even for bodybuilders it has been proven that very meager amounts by most [bodybuilding] standards can suffice just fine when wnbf pro dr joe klemezsky (sp) dieted on I believe 70g of protein successfully.

But i m not getting into this again with you. The point was and is that glucose is most efficient for energy, you're simply sidetracking from my original simple point.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-27-2011 at 09:21 AM.