Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elemental Fat Loss: Six Weeks to Grecian Proportions - New Article!

Hybrid View

Elemental Fat Loss: Six Weeks to Grecian Proportions - New Article!

Summer is right around the corner, just in time to make you feel guilty about your indulgence in one too many late night pizza runs. If there’s some holiday excess still loitering about your waistline, then worry not: today we’re talking fat loss…rapid fat loss.

If you are someone who needs to reach a target bodyweight in a very short amount of time, but don’t want to turn into a social pariah or neurotic fitness freak at the same time, you're in luck.

Get ready to start Operation Beach Body.

READ HERE
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I also want to welcome Ryan to Wannabebig. You'll be seeing a lot more of him in the future as both a writer of articles and a regular columnist.

Ryan has a real knack of being able to simplify the all to context subjects of training and nutrition and present it in a way which makes it easy for people to put together a plan which is best for them, something pretty rare in writers.

And I personally LOVE this article. If that vacation is looming, this is a perfect plan!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Very good writing and welcome on board Ryan.

Excellent article. That's puts fat loss into a basic easy to implement format. Fat loss is really that simple. It just takes consistency and hard work.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Excellent article. That's puts fat loss into a basic easy to implement format. Fat loss is really that simple. It just takes consistency and hard work.
    Consistency??? So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong!

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    Really enjoyed this article and I'm even tweaking my macros a little, bumping up the protein, dropping the fat a little and adding back in a few carb grams...we'll see how this works on fat loss and recovery too.

Thanks!
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Well written article. Not crazy about no HIIT and no glucose/whey drink post workout, but I'll likely give this a shot this summer.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Well written article. Not crazy about no HIIT and no glucose/whey drink post workout, but I'll likely give this a shot this summer.
    Don't be afraid to experiment. I wrote the article in purposeful contrast to other programs to show folks fat loss can be had via multiple avenues. I hope you enjoy the program!

I have done fine with no glucose/whey post workout drinks. I'm down about 6% bf and have lost about 20 lbs using just meals post workout.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

HIIT is not necessary for fat loss. Plenty of bodybuilders cut for shows with just steady state cardio. I just finished cutting for the summer and I felt the combo of HIIT and weights with lowered ca,ls tough on my body. I had a tough time recovering. I switched to steady state for the last couple weeks and keep dropped weight at a nice clip. LIke the author told you, you have to figure out what works best for your body.
    Last edited by cphafner; 06-02-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Heres the thing, you can modify the plan a little here or there to suit the way you want to do things. Ryan's recommendation was no HIIT and steady state all the way. If you have a serious issue with this, mix it up a little - you know your body and ultimately you need to feel good about doing the plan.

The most important part of why this article is VERY good is it does a great job of sticking to the basics, it's a ROCK SOLID plan. Nothing glossy or ground breaking, just a solid plan to get trim QUICK. Straight forward heavy lifting, lots of moving about and keeping calories and carbs low, but at the same time giving yourself a bit of a break from time to time.

I gaurantee that this plan will work VERY well for anyone who gives it a shot.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Heres the thing, you can modify the plan a little here or there to suit the way you want to do things. Ryan's recommendation was no HIIT and steady state all the way. If you have a serious issue with this, mix it up a little - you know your body and ultimately you need to feel good about doing the plan.

The most important part of why this article is VERY good is it does a great job of sticking to the basics, it's a ROCK SOLID plan. Nothing glossy or ground breaking, just a solid plan to get trim QUICK. Straight forward heavy lifting, lots of moving about and keeping calories and carbs low, but at the same time giving yourself a bit of a break from time to time.

I gaurantee that this plan will work VERY well for anyone who gives it a shot.
    Good points all around Daniel. It's important to think for yourself. The diet and training are set up in synchronous fashion, meaning if you manipulate one variable you must manipulate the other. If someone was tied to the HIIT for whatever reason--perhaps you have a desk-bound lifestyle that doesn't naturally incorporate low-intensity aerobic activity--I would start with one high-intensity interval session per week and work your way up, monitoring your recovery along the way. I'd be hesitant to go above three sessions per week as it's too easy to cut into your energy reserves best left for weight training.

House Lannister
    In the article, it states that I should be taking about 500-700 GRAMS a day of calcium. I have two questions. First, is this a typo? Second, if it's not, where I can buy my 5lb bag of powdered calcium?

Good spot chevelle, I fixed this to mg

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Good spot chevelle, I fixed this to mg

As a general question, is anyone taking Vitamin D at or near the IUs prescribed in the article? Any noticeable improvements in performance?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post

As a general question, is anyone taking Vitamin D at or near the IUs prescribed in the article? Any noticeable improvements in performance?
    I'm interested in optimizing Vitamin D. Few people ever get their levels checked, and I was shocked to find how deficient I was. Even on a dosing of 2,000 IU per day I wasn't meeting the minimum threshold for Vitamin D, despite spending ample time outdoors. The Vitamin D council advocates a dosing of 5,000 IU per day for the average, inactive adult. To achieve toxicity levels, you would have to take 50,000 IU per day for months on end to even get into that range.
    Last edited by Ryan Zielonka; 05-31-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Recommending calcium as an effective "fat loss supplement" is just silly.

Calcium rarely needs to be supplemented. There are many dietary sources of Ca, way beyond simple dairy consumption.

Further, while women MAY require additional Ca as they age, men do not as a) testosterone serves to "lock" calcium to the bones and b) supplemental Ca has been shown to elicit heart palpitations in men.

But recommending it as a fat loss supplement is a waste of time, resources, and is just well, silly.

PS- your experience with Vitamin D is typical. Try a very large dose, (50,000- 100,000 IUs), two times a week. Should get your D levels up quickly, safely, and effectively.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWhite View Post
    Recommending calcium as an effective "fat loss supplement" is just silly.

Calcium rarely needs to be supplemented. There are many dietary sources of Ca, way beyond simple dairy consumption.

Further, while women MAY require additional Ca as they age, men do not as a) testosterone serves to "lock" calcium to the bones and b) supplemental Ca has been shown to elicit heart palpitations in men.

But recommending it as a fat loss supplement is a waste of time, resources, and is just well, silly.

PS- your experience with Vitamin D is typical. Try a very large dose, (50,000- 100,000 IUs), two times a week. Should get your D levels up quickly, safely, and effectively.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here. First off, bodybuilders are at risk for bone degradation due to (1) the obsessive avoidance of milk and dairy products during pre-contest diets and (2) the abuse of caffeine and other stimulants to maintain energy levels. Finally, (3) calcium has a proven track record of aiding and expediting fat loss. I'll address each in turn.

(1) A high protein intake and low calcium intake puts a bodybuilder at risk for bone degradation and decreased bone health. See Dawson-Hughes B. Interaction of dietary calcium and protein in bone health in humans. J Nutr. 2003 Mar;133(3):852S-854S. However, a high protein intake combined with a high calcium intake works in synergy to promote gains in bone density. Most bodybuilders remove milk and other dairy products that contain high levels of calcium and thus put themselves and their bones at risk. A muscle needs a lever to lift weights.

(2) It's well understood that stimulants and, in particular, caffeine leech calcium from the system through urinary excretion. The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) (JAMA, 26 Jan. 1994, p. 280-3) found that "There was a significant association between (drinking more) caffeinated coffee and decreasing bone mineral density at both the hip and the spine..." Not cool. Combine this with the habitual avoidance of dairy and you've got problems already.

(3) I'll refer you to two studies concerning calcium's fat-loss properties. See Zemel MB. Role of calcium and dairy products in energy partioning and weight management. Am J Clin Nutr (2004) 79 (suppl): 907s-912s and Jacobsen R. Effect of short-term high dietary calcium intake on 24-h energy expenditure, fat oxidation, and fecal fat excretion. Int J Obes (Lond). 2005 Mar;29(3):292-301. Jacobsen discovered a daily 60 kcal excretion of pure fat. Over 12 weeks of dieting that's two pounds of fat-loss, which is a value right up there with some of the best performing thermogenics.
    Last edited by Ryan Zielonka; 06-09-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Great article simple and straight forward and easy to fallow.
    Last edited by View 1; 05-30-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Assuming the CALORIE and PROTEIN recommendations are followed, does it matter how many carbs and fats are eaten. I usually prefer to go higher fat and a little lower on the carbs...not sure how much this would change things assuming protein was all there and calories remained the same as suggested.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig New Member

Help needed!

Hi guys, just joined the site and this is my first post here. I've been following the program outlined by Ryan (with a few modifications) and these are my results so far:

Starting weight=188.4lbs, Bodyfat=18.5%

Weight at end of 1st week=186.0lbs, Bodyfat=17.7%

Weight on the morning of the 13th day=185.4lbs, Bodyfat=17.7%

Now, I know it's pretty early in the program to make any conclusions, but do you think I need to alter my diet or training? The first week saw me losing 2.4lbs alongwith a 0.8% reduction in bodyfat. The second week is almost done now and I haven't seen any change in bodyfat plus the weight loss is quite insignificant too. I'm worried that my body has gotten used to my new caloric intake and has slowed down it's metabolism accordingly. Keep in mind that I've been taking the following macronutrient quantities:

1.0-1.2g of protein/lb of bodyweight (I find it hard to get more protein because of the diet we have in our part of the world)
    0.3g of carbs/lb of bodyweight (veggies excluded but I don't use carb spikes since my cardio sessions are done immediately after my weight training workouts on the same day)
    0.2g of fats/lb of bodyweight (6 capsules of fish oil included)

I am excluding any fat that comes from chicken breasts or cooking oil, so the actual fat intake may be a tad higher.

Wannabebig New Member

quick help on the workout split

I plan I using this for 8 weeks to get my BF% in the single digit.

I may be reading this wrong but, it seems like week one is 3 days a week, then week two is 5 days?

1. Is that the way it should be split? alternate between 3 and 5 day weeks?

2. Can I add 30 minutes low intensity cardio after workout?

Thanks in advance,

Wannabebig New Member
    So it's been just over 11 weeks since I started and here are my results.

Starting weight, bodyfat: 188.4, 18.5%
    Current weight, bodyfat: 171.0, 13.8%

As you can see, I lost a bit of lean mass as well in addition to the fat, meaning I'm still not down to 10% which was my goal. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been following the diet to the letter in that my calories are a little lower and also I had to skip cardio for the month when I was fasting. Even now, I'm not doing enough cardio as the plan suggests, I do 30 minutes on the treadmill at a moderate intensity 4 times a week. I went up to 45 mins for a few weeks but couldn't keep that up because of my routine.
    I've pretty much plateaued for the last week or so, in fact my latest measurement showed me at a higher weight and bodyfat that the figures I gave above (those are the lowest taken a few days ago). I think my body has adapted to the low calories and my metabolism has slowed down considerably. Do you guys suggest I increase my calorie intake, by say 500 calories, and slightly reduce the duration of my weight training workouts to maybe help my body recover and speed up it's metabolism again? I weight train 4 times a week, about 35-40 mins a session and do my cardio at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by J_N View Post
    So it's been just over 11 weeks since I started and here are my results.

Starting weight, bodyfat: 188.4, 18.5%
    Current weight, bodyfat: 171.0, 13.8%

As you can see, I lost a bit of lean mass as well in addition to the fat, meaning I'm still not down to 10% which was my goal. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been following the diet to the letter in that my calories are a little lower and also I had to skip cardio for the month when I was fasting. Even now, I'm not doing enough cardio as the plan suggests, I do 30 minutes on the treadmill at a moderate intensity 4 times a week. I went up to 45 mins for a few weeks but couldn't keep that up because of my routine.
    I've pretty much plateaued for the last week or so, in fact my latest measurement showed me at a higher weight and bodyfat that the figures I gave above (those are the lowest taken a few days ago). I think my body has adapted to the low calories and my metabolism has slowed down considerably. Do you guys suggest I increase my calorie intake, by say 500 calories, and slightly reduce the duration of my weight training workouts to maybe help my body recover and speed up it's metabolism again? I weight train 4 times a week, about 35-40 mins a session and do my cardio at the end.
    In my opinion, you should take at least a week, perhaps 2 of a full diet break. Calories would be at maintenance. Expect some weight gain. It's not that it violates thermodynamics, but you probably will see an increase in fluid weight.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Hey J.N,

Welcome to the site and glad to know your's getting on well with the program.

Overall your calories are pretty low - seems to be in the 1,500 - 1,750 region so at 186 + the cardio you are dong that should be more than enough of a deficit to get you losing weight. I am probably at about the same and at 168lbs!

In fact, it's probably even too low, but I if you are following the plan in this article I assume you're in a hurry to drop the weight.

I would stay to the plan for week 3 and see where you're at then.