Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Thoughts on recomp ...

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10

    Thoughts on recomp ...

    All,

    I have been on a recomp diet for the past 3 weeks and wanted to post it here for you all to critique. I started at around 174/175 and am 170 right now (3wks later). I workout around 6 times per week, all weights - the only cardio I do is on the weekend and is usually mtn biking. BF is probably 16-17%

    Here goes:

    Cal:2400
    Prot:225
    Fat:55
    Carb:250

    Breakfast (7am)
    Egg Whites, Oatmeal, Cheese

    Pre-Workout (11am)
    Yogurt, Scivation Quake

    Post-Workout/Lunch (1:30p)
    Turkey, Mayo, Bread, Carrots, Post-Workout (Core PWO)

    Snack (3:30)
    Whey Shake, Peanut Butter Sandwich

    Dinner (7:30)
    WW Pasta, XLean Ground Beef, Broccoli

    Pre-Sleep (10:30)
    2x Protein Shake
    Last edited by St34lth; 05-20-2010 at 08:17 AM.

  2. #2
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by St34lth View Post
    All,

    I have been on a recomp diet for the past 3 weeks and wanted to post it here for you all to critique. I started at around 174/175 and am 170 right now (3wks later). I workout around 6 times per week, all weights - the only cardio I do is on the weekend and is usually mtn biking. BF is probably 16-17%

    Here goes:

    Cal:2400
    Prot:225
    Fat:55
    Carb:250

    Breakfast (7am)
    Egg Whites, Oatmeal, Cheese

    Pre-Workout (11am)
    Yogurt, Scivation Quake

    Post-Workout/Lunch (1:30p)
    Turkey, Mayo, Bread, Carrots, Post-Workout (Core PWO)

    Snack (3:30)
    Whey Shake, Peanut Butter Sandwich

    Dinner (7:30)
    WW Pasta, XLean Ground Beef, Broccoli

    Pre-Sleep (10:30)
    2x Protein Shake
    suggested:

    Snack (3:00)
    Whey Shake, Peanut Butter (no bread)

    Dinner (5:30)
    WW Pasta, XLean Ground Beef

    Dinner 2 (7:30)
    7 egg whites / 1 whole egg w/ salsa or minimal ketchup, broccoli or spinach

    Pre-Sleep (10:30)
    2x Protein Shake

    OR:

    shift more carbs earlier in the day (e.g. before your workout)
    Last edited by dirtyd; 05-20-2010 at 11:34 AM.

  3. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by St34lth View Post
    All,

    I have been on a recomp diet for the past 3 weeks and wanted to post it here for you all to critique. I started at around 174/175 and am 170 right now (3wks later). I workout around 6 times per week, all weights - the only cardio I do is on the weekend and is usually mtn biking. BF is probably 16-17%

    Here goes:

    Cal:2400
    Prot:225
    Fat:55
    Carb:250

    Breakfast (7am)
    Egg Whites, Oatmeal, Cheese

    Pre-Workout (11am)
    Yogurt, Scivation Quake

    Post-Workout/Lunch (1:30p)
    Turkey, Mayo, Bread, Carrots, Post-Workout (Core PWO)

    Snack (3:30)
    Whey Shake, Peanut Butter Sandwich

    Dinner (7:30)
    WW Pasta, XLean Ground Beef, Broccoli

    Pre-Sleep (10:30)
    2x Protein Shake
    When you say recomp, I presume you intend to keep the same bodyweight and "swap out" fat for muscle? My suggestion would be to cut down the weight training to 4x/week. Switch to an upper/lower split and aim for 8 to 16 work sets per muscle group per week.

    It's hard for me to assess your program based on the aforementioned information. I would suggest you keep plugging away if the program is working and make adjustments based on the feedback you receive from your progress check-ins.

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
    suggested:

    Snack (3:00)
    Whey Shake, Peanut Butter (no bread)

    Dinner (5:30)
    WW Pasta, XLean Ground Beef

    Dinner 2 (7:30)
    7 egg whites / 1 whole egg w/ salsa or minimal ketchup, broccoli or spinach

    Pre-Sleep (10:30)
    2x Protein Shake

    OR:

    shift more carbs earlier in the day (e.g. before your workout)
    Could you tell me a bit more about why you suggest this? Im new to all of this and depend on people like yourself to show me the way.

    Much thanks

  5. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by St34lth View Post
    Could you tell me a bit more about why you suggest this? Im new to all of this and depend on people like yourself to show me the way.

    Much thanks
    I am by no means a diet expert, but from my own experience (bodytype) I find that if you are attempting to lose fat in any manner (e.g. recomp or pure cut), you will have to scale back your carbs. However, you will need to maintain enough carbs to keep your fire burning (metabolism up) and to minimize catabolism. My suggestions were intended to reduce you carb intake later in the day.

    moving the pasta meal up 2 hours will put your last high-carb meal 5 hours from bed time. this will help a lot with your fat loss
    adding broccoli or some greens to your 730 will give you some carbs - the slowest possible ones to minimize any insulin response during the evening right before bed.
    Ideally during sleep you will have enough protein in your system for muscle repair but will be burning fat for energy.

    My changes were just slight mods to your original diet with the inclusion of some eggs b/c you will be hungry b/t 530 and 1030 and some protein here would be a good addition

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
    I am by no means a diet expert, but from my own experience (bodytype) I find that if you are attempting to lose fat in any manner (e.g. recomp or pure cut), you will have to scale back your carbs. However, you will need to maintain enough carbs to keep your fire burning (metabolism up) and to minimize catabolism. My suggestions were intended to reduce you carb intake later in the day.

    moving the pasta meal up 2 hours will put your last high-carb meal 5 hours from bed time. this will help a lot with your fat loss
    adding broccoli or some greens to your 730 will give you some carbs - the slowest possible ones to minimize any insulin response during the evening right before bed.
    Ideally during sleep you will have enough protein in your system for muscle repair but will be burning fat for energy.

    My changes were just slight mods to your original diet with the inclusion of some eggs b/c you will be hungry b/t 530 and 1030 and some protein here would be a good addition
    THanks again for the response. Ive been thinking about lowering the carb intake (currently 250) down to 200 since I have not seen a dramatic fat loss in the past couple weeks. Thoughts? (I plan to leave the rest the same)

  7. #7
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,816
    our thoughts? what are YOUR thoughts.

    you've said it has been 3 weeks that you've been on this diet... how is it working thus far for you?

  8. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    our thoughts? what are YOUR thoughts.

    you've said it has been 3 weeks that you've been on this diet... how is it working thus far for you?
    Well, I havent seen a dramatic reduction in fat loss (comparing photos), but I am definitely larger (especially shoulders, chest). My weight has gone up about 1.5lbs from when I started. Because of this, Im thinking my carb intake might be a bit high. Hope that helps.

  9. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by St34lth View Post
    Well, I havent seen a dramatic reduction in fat loss (comparing photos), but I am definitely larger (especially shoulders, chest). My weight has gone up about 1.5lbs from when I started. Because of this, Im thinking my carb intake might be a bit high. Hope that helps.
    hard to imagine you could have much fat loss with a net weight gain of .5 lbs per week these last couple

  10. #10
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
    suggested:

    Snack (3:00)
    Whey Shake, Peanut Butter (no bread)

    Dinner (5:30)
    WW Pasta, XLean Ground Beef

    Dinner 2 (7:30)
    7 egg whites / 1 whole egg w/ salsa or minimal ketchup, broccoli or spinach

    Pre-Sleep (10:30)
    2x Protein Shake

    OR:

    shift more carbs earlier in the day (e.g. before your workout)
    This is bad advice.

    It's not bad advice because there's something wrong with the advice itself per se. It's bad because in your inital post you didn't say you were or weren't happy with how things were going. For all this guy knows you could be achieving your goals just fine on it, so why suggest a change? Don't.

    Initially I really like your diet portion. And if you're looking to get gradually leaner and not full out bulk or cut then your macros IMO are excellent (ratio wise). This is, however given the fact that calorically they fall into the right range for the goals you want to achieve. You've lost 4-5lbs over 3 weeks. Thats a very solid rate to lose. And assuming you didn't lose strength and/or have no other indicators of muscle loss I would by all means keep doing what you're doing.

    Far too often advice is given to change things around just so people can sound smart. They say do this here or do that there. Don't eat too many carbs, or don't carbs past X-o'clock. Sure, some of these recommendations have merit on paper. But it all boils down to what works consistently for you. For example, I'm currently consuming 2120 total grams of carbs per week and getting ripped on it. And regularly eat a high carbohydrate meal at my last meal (as in 50-70grams within an hour of bed).

    So. Back to you, your weightloss numbers are obviously indicative of a change in your body. I personally would stay consistent with what you're doing for a a while longer so you can know for sure that if what you're doing is indeed working. Don't changes things on a whim or a few bad days or you'll get nowhere.

    Goodluck and stay focused bro!
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-28-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  11. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    This is bad advice.

    It's not bad advice because there's something wrong with the advice itself per se. It's bad because in your inital post you didn't say you were or weren't happy with how things were going. For all this guy knows you could be achieving your goals just fine on it, so why suggest a change? Don't.

    Initially I really like your diet portion. And if you're looking to get gradually leaner and not full out bulk or cut then your macros IMO are excellent (ratio wise). This is, however given the fact that calorically they fall into the right range for the goals you want to achieve. You've lost 4-5lbs over 3 weeks. Thats a very solid rate to lose. And assuming you didn't lose strength and/or have no other indicators of muscle loss I would by all means keep doing what you're doing.

    Far too often advice is given to change things around just so people can sound smart. They say do this here or do that there. Don't eat too many carbs, or don't carbs past X-o'clock. Sure, some of these recommendations have merit on paper. But it all boils down to what works consistently for you. For example, I'm currently consuming 2120 total grams of carbs per week and getting ripped on it. And regularly eat a high carbohydrate meal at my last meal (as in 50-70grams within an hour of bed).

    So. Back to you, your weightloss numbers are obviously indicative of a change in your body. I personally would stay consistent with what you're doing for a a while longer so you can know for sure that if what you're doing is indeed working. Don't changes things on a whim or a few bad days or you'll get nowhere.

    Goodluck and stay focused bro!
    Outstanding advice and I truly appreciate the time you took to write it. I'm going to take your advice and let this diet run its course and will modify if I begin to have issues. Thanks again!

Similar Threads

  1. Cut or Maintain/Recomp?
    By Alyion in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 01:05 PM
  2. beginner body recomp
    By peatr99 in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 03:28 PM
  3. is this a body recomp?
    By bass slayer in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 01:51 AM
  4. My cutting/recomp plan, check it out!
    By BFGUITAR in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 02:58 PM
  5. Recomp "IF" Style...
    By ray34iyf in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •