The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,936

    3 Tricks to Jumpstart Fat Loss by Mike Arone - Newsletter Article

    So, it’s that time a year. The “winter bulk” has come to an end and it’s time to lose that topcoat layer for the beach. Well, don’t cut the sleeves off your shirt just yet. Here are some tricks that you can try out to put your fat loss into fast forward…

    Active Rest Between Sets

    It may sound like and oxymoron, when in actuality it is the quickest way to shed fat outside of your diet. With that said… Screw the treadmill!

    Instead of standing around in between sets and checking out your triceps in the mirror, pick from the following exercises to be performed for 30 seconds to a minute in between each set.

    Jumprope - best fat loss tool known to man. It burns more calories in half the time than running on the treadmill like a hamster.

    Mountain Climbers - engages every muscle from your ankles to your head and can be done anywhere in the gym.

    "Burpees" - not only help you activate both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers, but is a full-body movement that will put your metabolism into 5th gear for the entire day.

    Though these exercises can be a workout in themselves, be sure to pace yourself and keep an intensity that will elevate your heart rate but won’t cause you to compensate form on your lifts.


    The Jumprope burns more calories in half the time than running on the treadmill.

    Pre-Meal Supplementation

    How your body absorbs what you eat can drastically affect your fat loss goals. Try the following 30 minutes before your major meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) to gain an edge on your fat loss journey.

    Conjugated Linoleic Acids (CLA) - aids in fat oxidation and helps utilize fat for energy.

    Fiber Supplement (Metamucil) - not only makes digestion more efficient, but nutrient absorption as well.

    Green Tea or green tea capsules - powerful antioxidants and natural fat burning properties that can, well, burn fat!

    Combining all three of these can ensure that what you eat will not only be properly absorb, but will have less chance to be stored as fat.

    No Starches 3 Hours Before Bed

    Unless you’re a nighthawk that works out super late at night, your body will have no use for carbohydrates at this point. Instead of breaking them down and using them for energy, like you do throughout your active day, your body will break them down into fat. Try tapering your carbs throughout the day until you have none within three hours of bed. Whatever carbs you DO have later in the day, make sure they are primarily fibrous carbs such as vegetables.

    So there you have 3 Tricks to Jumpstart Your Fat Loss that will bring you closer to your optimal physique. Try them out and watch the fat melt off your hard earned muscle.

    ------------------

    This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - May 27th, 2010

    You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    Nice. I do 1 and 3. I've gotta vouch for Burpees done both as a standalone workout and between/at the end of sets in the gym. They have done so much for me in terms of leanness and overall level of conditioning. I do them in some form or another almost every day

    Have you had personal experience with any of those supplements mentioned? I'm curious as to how effective or beneficial they actually are. They sound great, but quite frankly if I took every supplement that sounded good I would be up to my knees in them lol.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-27-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  4. #3
    Senior Member IronDiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    593
    I'm going to start doing #2.
    #3 sucks cause I usually work out late, go home and to bed.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

  5. #4
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    I don't get #3.

    My body needs glucose for all kinds of metabolic functions, what difference does it make what time of day it is, as long as I'm eating within my caloric requirements?
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  6. #5
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,936
    I'll answer it in a 'real world' type of way mainly because I'm not able to on a scientific front.

    I have definately noticed it has been easier to shed weight by cutting starchy carbs in the evening. In fact, the latest I have eaten starches is about 5pm (post workout) for about 3 months now.

    Hopefully someone will chime in with a more scientific answer though. It's a pretty common recommendation though for people following a fat loss diet.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

  7. #6
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,936
    Although I would agree with you that eating within your calories/macros is without doubt THE most important thing you can do - everything else is most likely just a helping hand.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    89
    I thought that #3 has been proven to be a myth? (personal results aside)

  9. #8
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    Good point...glucose does in fact contriute to metabolic funcitons.

    Try this out....Try getting in more carbs in your "workout window" or up your portions earlier in the day so that you can not only meet your macronutrient requirement, but get in enough glucose to aid your metaboic functions the rest of the day. This way you can cut out the carbs at night and not have to worry about it...

    With that said...this isn't for everybody-but I have found for the masses it works well.


    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Although I would agree with you that eating within your calories/macros is without doubt THE most important thing you can do - everything else is most likely just a helping hand.

  10. #9
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    ...but defnitely some great questions by all....#2 is a bit newer concept that seems to work exceptionally well...def interested to hear some feedback on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by aronefitness View Post
    Good point...glucose does in fact contriute to metabolic funcitons.

    Try this out....Try getting in more carbs in your "workout window" or up your portions earlier in the day so that you can not only meet your macronutrient requirement, but get in enough glucose to aid your metaboic functions the rest of the day. This way you can cut out the carbs at night and not have to worry about it...

    With that said...this isn't for everybody-but I have found for the masses it works well.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Raleighwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Raleighwood, NC
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I'll answer it in a 'real world' type of way mainly because I'm not able to on a scientific front.

    I have definately noticed it has been easier to shed weight by cutting starchy carbs in the evening. In fact, the latest I have eaten starches is about 5pm (post workout) for about 3 months now.

    Hopefully someone will chime in with a more scientific answer though. It's a pretty common recommendation though for people following a fat loss diet.
    Since carbs have the strongest affect on insulin levels (it raises it) out of all the macronutrients, it prevents the the removal of energy from fat cells. Therefore preventing fatty acids from entering your blood stream where they can be oxidized for energy. Eating high amounts of carbs before bed slows down or inhibits fatty acid release in your sleep.

    Think of a balance scale. Insulin on one side, Glucagon on the other. They are released inversely to each other. Glucagon signals fatty acid release from your fat cells. Insulin signals the uptake of nutrients.

    Your total daily intake of calories is the supreme factor in weight loss. However, to maximize FAT loss you want your glucagon levels to be high.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-28-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

    "Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    This is so helpful! A quick fix is losing that water weight too (just for u beach goers)

  13. #12
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,936
    RW - thanks for the explanation - VERY helpful!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

  14. #13
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    0
    #3 should help with hunger. Which helps with compliance to any program.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  15. #14
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for all the post ... I really find it hard to follow my diet regime.. now am even more motivated to do it....

  16. #15
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Since carbs have the strongest affect on insulin levels (it raises it) out of all the macronutrients, it prevents the the removal of energy from fat cells. Therefore preventing fatty acids from entering your blood stream where they can be oxidized for energy. Eating high amounts of carbs before bed slows down or inhibits fatty acid release in your sleep.

    Think of a balance scale. Insulin on one side, Glucagon on the other. They are released inversely to each other. Glucagon signals fatty acid release from your fat cells. Insulin signals the uptake of nutrients.

    Your total daily intake of calories is the supreme factor in weight loss. However, to maximize FAT loss you want your glucagon levels to be high.
    Although this is correct it is a really drastic oversimplification. Consider that all non-diabetics always have a blood insulin level. This can be measured long after a meals and is labeled a subjects 'resting insulin level'. Just considering that can tell us that insulin cannot prevent fat loss systemically. Another way to look at is that insulin goes up and is followed by blood sugar going down which triggers fat release.

    The most important point that needs to be understood in any conversation like this is that given identical calories the results would be the same. A hard training athlete has literally millions upon millions of places for carbs to go at any time of the day; muscle cells.

    That said I certainly like the idea of targeting everything we eat.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  17. #16
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    So, it’s that time a year. The “winter bulk” has come to an end and it’s time to lose that topcoat layer for the beach. Well, don’t cut the sleeves off your shirt just yet. Here are some tricks that you can try out to put your fat loss into fast forward…

    Active Rest Between Sets

    It may sound like and oxymoron, when in actuality it is the quickest way to shed fat outside of your diet. With that said… Screw the treadmill!

    Instead of standing around in between sets and checking out your triceps in the mirror, pick from the following exercises to be performed for 30 seconds to a minute in between each set.

    Jumprope - best fat loss tool known to man. It burns more calories in half the time than running on the treadmill like a hamster.

    Mountain Climbers - engages every muscle from your ankles to your head and can be done anywhere in the gym.

    "Burpees" - not only help you activate both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers, but is a full-body movement that will put your metabolism into 5th gear for the entire day.

    Though these exercises can be a workout in themselves, be sure to pace yourself and keep an intensity that will elevate your heart rate but won’t cause you to compensate form on your lifts.


    The Jumprope burns more calories in half the time than running on the treadmill.

    Pre-Meal Supplementation

    How your body absorbs what you eat can drastically affect your fat loss goals. Try the following 30 minutes before your major meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) to gain an edge on your fat loss journey.

    Conjugated Linoleic Acids (CLA) - aids in fat oxidation and helps utilize fat for energy.

    Fiber Supplement (Metamucil) - not only makes digestion more efficient, but nutrient absorption as well.

    Green Tea or green tea capsules - powerful antioxidants and natural fat burning properties that can, well, burn fat!

    Combining all three of these can ensure that what you eat will not only be properly absorb, but will have less chance to be stored as fat.

    No Starches 3 Hours Before Bed

    Unless you’re a nighthawk that works out super late at night, your body will have no use for carbohydrates at this point. Instead of breaking them down and using them for energy, like you do throughout your active day, your body will break them down into fat. Try tapering your carbs throughout the day until you have none within three hours of bed. Whatever carbs you DO have later in the day, make sure they are primarily fibrous carbs such as vegetables.

    So there you have 3 Tricks to Jumpstart Your Fat Loss that will bring you closer to your optimal physique. Try them out and watch the fat melt off your hard earned muscle.

    ------------------

    This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - May 27th, 2010

    You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    Im a graveyard person.. I should not consume carbs at night then... I gained weight recently and that is because of eating carbs and just sitting in front of my pc all night...

  18. #17
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tonnywillgram View Post
    Im a graveyard person.. I should not consume carbs at night then... I gained weight recently and that is because of eating carbs and just sitting in front of my pc all night...
    Focus on your total calories first. If that's right you can eat whenever you want. Cutting carbs in the evening means you can eat more during the day which may make you less hungry which is a huge benefit.

    I once lost 83 lbs consecutively. I was working retail and ate half my calories after 9PM once I got home.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  19. #18
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    57
    Can I get a video example of a burpee and mountain climbers?

  20. #19

Similar Threads

  1. New Article: Complexes for Fat Loss (and win AtLarge Nutrition Fat Burners)
    By Joe Black in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM
  2. The Hardcore Finisher – 2 Circuits to Burn Fat - Newsletter Mini Article
    By Joe Black in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 08:15 AM
  4. Fat loss - interesting article!
    By frankm007 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 09:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •