Page 11 of 80 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: lifting journal pt. 2

Banned
    thanks daniel. took it easy today. bands, rear delt, cardio

bw 175.6

i am 75% certain that my shoulder issue is a rear delt imbalance at this point. my anterior delt is about 4 times the size of my posterior delt.. i kid you not. i think that imbalance is causing that tweaked feeling my rotator, which is being pulled out of a harmonious position...

meaning that the rotator is probably fine but the opposing muscles are messing with its comfort. does that sound plausible to anyone?

edit: a pic is worth a 1000 words, yes?

Last edited by f=ma; 07-01-2010 at 05:11 AM.

do a real dbl bicep, i can't tell a thing from that angle

edit: except that you have big ears
    Last edited by Behemoth; 07-01-2010 at 05:15 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    do a real dbl bicep, i can't tell a thing from that angle

yeah i have a huge head actually

I don't see it. Left to right maybe but not anterior to posterior same side IMO

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Banned
    yeah..... **** i dont know. i will keep it up w/ the additional rear delt work. i dont know what else to do.. except maybe stop doing direct shoulder work for a while

but yeah lol look at that left to right. ridiculous. i wonder if thats just due to pose/angle

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    yeah..... **** i dont know. i will keep it up w/ the additional rear delt work. i dont know what else to do.. except maybe stop doing direct shoulder work for a while

but yeah lol look at that left to right. ridiculous. i wonder if thats just due to pose/angle
    There is a difference between the left and right side, but I'd assume that you were a right handed person, yes or no? That tends to make a difference at times in imbalances between the left and right side at times. I do see a small lag of your rear delts, but it's nothing dramatic.

I'd keep hammering away at the Rear Delts, maybe try various exercises also.

I've left the rotator work out of my routine for too long. It's just good to keep it consistent, but I see you're working at it again.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with having big ears!

yeah as far as bulk success goes, i agree. i put on the most muscle mass i possibly could in that time frame. i think this time i could easily goto 210 and stay around 12% by being careful. i think my patience in transitioning into a bulk has paid off.. because i'm above maint now at my eating levels the past few days, which have been loose as far as tracking... without a doubt.
    I believe that you could get up towards 190 while keeping a good deal of definition. I'd definitely agree with what Rory has been talking about with regards to you not "filling up".

I think you could jump your calories up towards 3,200-3,400 and not lose much definition anytime soon, at least for the rest of the summer, while you'll fill out a bit more thus making you appear a larger on a regular basis. I've endorsed what Allen's been doing for the past 2-3 weeks, which is watching my calories, keeping them around 3,000 and then binge-eatting 1-2 days a week and things have been going very well.

With regards to tracking I don't believe that you need to be very strict when you're looking to maintain or gain. Personally how I set things up is by using a small erasable whiteboard. I will just jot down what I ate and then total up the F/C/P and cals, then I'll know where my totals are throughout the day just by counting the calories and the F/C/P.

I know you like to be very regimented with everything so that's just an idea of how to make it not seem like a job or chore, but by all means keep doing what you've been doing-- you've been a great job with your plan thus far.

Another suggestion could be to list different categories such as Protein and Fats, Protein and Carbs, Shakes, and others (this is what I'm starting now). I'm just putting a check mark next to the category when I eat a meal that fits that specific category. Each meal should meet a certain range of macro's and calories, so I should have about 4-5 whole food meals, with 1-2 shakes. That's just another example.

I do things for the sake of simplicity. But again do what you feel is best for you.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 07-01-2010 at 08:15 AM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I think you could jump your calories up towards 3,200-3,400 and not lose much definition anytime soon, at least for the rest of the summer, while you'll fill out a bit more thus making you appear a larger on a regular basis. I've endorsed what Allen's been doing for the past 2-3 weeks, which is watching my calories, keeping them around 3,000 and then binge-eatting 1-2 days a week and things have been going very well.
    I actually like the sound of this a lot...

With regards to tracking I don't believe that you need to be very strict when you're looking to maintain or gain. Personally how I set things up is by using a small erasable whiteboard. I will just jot down what I ate and then total up the F/C/P and cals, then I'll know where my totals are throughout the day just by counting the calories and the F/C/P.

I know you like to be very regimented with everything so that's just an idea of how to make it not seem like a job or chore, but by all means keep doing what you've been doing-- you've been a great job with your plan thus far.

Another suggestion could be to list different categories such as Protein and Fats, Protein and Carbs, Shakes, and others (this is what I'm starting now). I'm just putting a check mark next to the category when I eat a meal that fits that specific category. Each meal should meet a certain range of macro's and calories, so I should have about 4-5 whole food meals, with 1-2 shakes. That's just another example.

I do things for the sake of simplicity. But again do what you feel is best for you.
    i have this an excel tracker setup. its very structured, youre dead on with that.. but i also have my daily grams/oz memorized so it isnt really a chore beyond measuring. my prob is that i just dont feel comfortable leaving a state of structure where i know exactly what my intake is.. i really dont want to gain any unnecessary fat at all. dieting sucks too much. i'll probably change my mind 2 months from now when i'm REALLY sick of counting cals and start splurging hard.

i probably should just stop stressing the little **** and let an offseason be an offseason. but if i dont measure i know im going to error on the side of more food because i love to chow and stuff myself.
    Last edited by f=ma; 07-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.

House Lannister
    So what's for breakfast today?

Banned
    the usual

70g oatmeal, 10g dex.. and a shake w/ 30g whey, 30g dex, creatine, BA, caffeine, and 12.5mg ephedrine

however.. i did mix 2lbs of cookies and cream whey with 2lbs of double chocolate. the results we shall soon known
    Last edited by f=ma; 07-02-2010 at 02:26 AM.

House Lannister
    the usual

70g oatmeal, 10g dex.. and a shake w/ 30g whey, 30g dex, creatine, BA, caffeine, and 12.5mg ephedrine

however.. i did mix 2lbs of cookies and cream whey with 2lbs of double chocolate. the results we shall soon known
    You know, that sounds good in theory, but I bet ya it's gonna suck...

Banned
    WE SHALL SOON SEE.................. yeah its ok. i had high hopes.

so i need to figure out a bench grip that doesnt **** with me. i want to drop the PL style and just tuck my shoulders. youre doing shoulder width atm right? do you tuck/arch also?

House Lannister
    WE SHALL SOON SEE.................. yeah its ok. i had high hopes.

so i need to figure out a bench grip that doesnt **** with me. i want to drop the PL style and just tuck my shoulders. youre doing shoulder width atm right? do you tuck/arch also?
    I'm doing shoulder width right now, yep. I arch, but rarely is it a real powerful arch. I really only push my feet back when I'm struggling on reps. What do you mean by tuck? I found that keeping a tighter upper back seemed to help too.

Why do BB bench at all? I dropped it years ago and really don't plan on ever going back until I need to. With a few external and internal cable rotations to warmup the rotators on push day my shoulders have felt great ever since...

Banned
    literally.. tucking your shoulders. you pull your shoulder blades together. this gives you a natural arch in your back. if youve ever watched dave tates benching video on youtube, he explains it. it is a very good watch/listen on how to bench. my shoulder is fubar man. even just the bar at shoulder width is uncomfortable... the one thing i havent tried yet is flat db bench... we shall see. tuesday is benching day.. have to see how it goes... i may have to do a low incline and drop direct shoulder work.. do a 3 day/wk layout... ugh. which is less time in the gym.

am bw 175.4
    diet 2900 cals +/- 50 or so

atf olympics
    barx5
    95x5
    135x5
    185x5
    225x12
    225x10
    225x10
    185x10
    185x10
    185x10
    BORING BUT BIG

calf press
    somethingx10x5

decline situps
    bwx10
    bw+10x10
    bw+10x14

100 cal stairmaster.. 8 min or so

done. i really really hope flat db will be ok. the prospect of skipping my horiz press again upsets me.
    Last edited by f=ma; 07-02-2010 at 05:07 AM.

Banned
    what about doing a relatively close grip bench press? One of the guys I converted to 5-3-1 here in town has some rotator issues from pitching for years (played for college). He does a pretty close grip bench and doesnt have any issues...I think wendler benches close grip for this reason as well

House Lannister
    Why do BB bench at all? I dropped it years ago and really don't plan on ever going back until I need to. With a few external and internal cable rotations to warmup the rotators on push day my shoulders have felt great ever since...
    This.

This is the first time I've had any real trouble with BB bench, and if it continues I'll drop that mofo like a sack of shlit. I really don't think bb bench is that great an exercise imo. For chest, I'd much rather be doing incline db pressing and for shoulders, military db and barbell pressing ftw.

Banned
    Agree on benching....... cmanuel... I'm already close grip...

very much disagree on db military though

diet fell apart today. There will be guilty cardio tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by f=ma; 07-02-2010 at 03:09 PM.

House Lannister
    Agree on benching....... cmanuel... I'm already close grip...

very much disagree on db military though

diet fell apart today. There will be guilty cardio tomorrow morning.
    You don't like DB military??

Close grip works your chest? I mean obviously yes, synergistically... but I'd be flatter than a preteen auschwitz victim if I relied on it for a chest growth.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 07-02-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    You don't like DB military??
    i think standing bb mili is superior to all variations of shoulder work. having said that.. my shoulders are where they are due to seated db mili.. so take that with a grain of salt.

today includes... normal intake + 8 chuck burgers, 4 buns, 6oz of group, 2 slices of cheese... some tomato.... and a partrige in a pear tree. 40 min of HIIT incoming at 7am.. slightly decreased cals as well. it probably doesnt even matter really.

Couple things. First off what is group?
    Secondly, how is 40 minutes of HIIT possible? God bless you though, I've switched most of my AM/Fasted/BCASS MISS over to AM/fasted/BCAA HIIT (per my call not Bertos) and it's been sick. Also a 15g drop of fat this week but I attribute a little more to the HIIT as I made the switch the week before and saw results immediately.

Watchout for that retribution mentality. I still think you feel guilty way too easy. Obviously it's human nature but a couple cookies or burgers once a week in your continued hardcore state isn't hurting you. I'd look at it as easing back into a normal life again. You should search BB.com about how some of people have come off of diets and you'll realize your slip ups are pretty good stepping stones lol.

Finally, I'm glad someone else is online on their friday night for once. Normally I hit refresh between my email, facebook, wbb, and bb.com for like an hour with nothing new to keep my unsocialized friday night eventful enough to stay up past 9.

Banned
    sorry, i meant to type grouper. believe it or not, im still not used to my new laptops keyboard... i typo all the time on this thing. and youre on how many g of fat? 20-30? cant be much more than that now....

but yeah... haha yeah im here. i just got back from work FML

what would you do? we had a cookout at work and this one of our interns (COO's daughter) challenged me to an eating contest.. i matched her 1 burger per hot dog.. naturally i lost. however, since im so deep into a splurge already.... im thinking why stop here. all these extra cals i eat right now are literally going to be part of my massive AM dump tomorrow. does it really make a difference at this point?

amazingly enough i feel really good right now. im really hoping that db benching will be ok. there are some beers in the fridge from the last person who lived here. 2 coronas and 2 micro's :P i havent had any alcohol since october 2008.
    Last edited by f=ma; 07-02-2010 at 06:29 PM.

40g

I don't know. I have a problem with halting once I deviate. I full out binge. For years I thought after a certain point you couldn't really do any more harm. I still think thats true but never considered time frame enough. Meaning a binge of 5000kcal in one hour may mean X amount of simply excreted, whereas the same binge over say 2 hours may result in more or all stored. With so much up for debate about monitored dieting (even things like cals in vs vals out) I don't think any widely accepted and definitive conclusion has been drawn on this subject. I simply speculate my beliefs on years of dieting that has included those binges haaha.

Banned
    yeah... i know what you mean. whereas now its not 2 hours. those burgers were at lunch time. so now im T+8 hours. i dunno. i just wish it was planned so i could hvae eaten that box of fig newtons and some other stuff i have saved up :P

i also have that halting problem.. but im just thinking... "hey i could stop here"

Banned
    yknow though, scott posted an idea up a bit about being strict 5-6 days per week and binging 1-2 days per week for his most recent off season work and seeing pretty good success.. i like that. its structured but allows the gross indulgence that i love. and i have no problem keeping that clean either.