The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 80 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Banned
    it doesnt burn me out but if im doing it every week, it might. i have planned deloads every 4th week so that concern may be overcautious. i have a feeling ill end up doing inc dbs :P setting up is so much easier than flat db.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    it doesnt burn me out but if im doing it every week, it might. i have planned deloads every 4th week so that concern may be overcautious. i have a feeling ill end up doing inc dbs :P setting up is so much easier than flat db.
    Setting up as in getting those DBs into position for pressing? My IC DB is getting to the point where I'm going to have to ask someone to hand them to me. No chance of setting them down real easy either unless I want a pulled shoulder haha.

I think with 5/3/1's deloads you'll be fine. That's what you're doing, right?

Banned
    yup!

setting up shouldnt be a problem for you. you put the db's on your knees then kick it up to your chest with an explosive calf press of sorts. your calf should be putting the db in motion and all you have to do is guide, stabilize and catch the db as it gets up to shoulder level... should be very little upper body involved in getting em up there

putting em down shouldnt be a prob either. you just bring the dbs into your beginning pressing position, bring up your knees under the db then lower your leg absorbing the descent with your calf. pretty much the opposite of the other movement. alternatively you can drop them but then people like me will give you angry looks in the gym hahah

House Lannister
    yup!

setting up shouldnt be a problem for you. you put the db's on your knees then kick it up to your chest with an explosive calf press of sorts. your calf should be putting the db in motion and all you have to do is guide, stabilize and catch the db as it gets up to shoulder level... should be very little upper body involved in getting em up there

putting em down shouldnt be a prob either. you just bring the dbs into your beginning pressing position, bring up your knees under the db then lower your leg absorbing the descent with your calf. pretty much the opposite of the other movement. alternatively you can drop them but then people like me will give you angry looks in the gym hahah
    I like dropping em from about shoulder height and then standing up and yelling, "slay that puzzy!" as loud as I can while doing a front lat spread. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Setting up as in getting those DBs into position for pressing? My IC DB is getting to the point where I'm going to have to ask someone to hand them to me. No chance of setting them down real easy either unless I want a pulled shoulder haha.

I think with 5/3/1's deloads you'll be fine. That's what you're doing, right?
    Trick is definetly deadlifting them and setting them way out on your knees when you sit down on the bench. If you can't flip up your own DBs you shouldn't be pressing them. I can't stand it when I see people being spoon fed their weights by a spotter. Flip them back down to your knees or lightly drop them to the sides holding onto them so they're not free falling. Don't be that guy.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 07-06-2010 at 04:48 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    haha nice.

k. so benching felt just fine. incline dbs. i liked that benching article that acress wrote. ive been thinking about it... and i shouldnt really care where my bb bench numbers are at since i just want relative strength and more development. so inc db it was.. and will be for at least the next 12 weeks or 3 cycles although i used too much weight today.

bw 176.4

warmup
    band rotator, face pull etc

db inc
    various to
    60x5
    80x5
    100x3
    80x10
    80x10
    70x10
    70x12
    70x9

bb row, parallel to floor
    135x10
    155x10
    155x10
    165x12
    165x6,2,1

100 cal stairmaster 8ish min

done

i liked that benching article that acress wrote. ive been thinking about it... and i shouldnt really care where my bb bench numbers are at since i just want relative strength and more development. so inc db it was..
    Very true. I get caught in between thought the different avenues of lifting-- Do I want to focus on strength or do I want to focus on Size? They aren't always separate from one another, but I've done PLing routines in the past and they aren't the same as a BBing routine.

I think the choice to go with the DB's and the route you are taking is the right choice. My chest would be fatigued after all of that DB pressing! How is your strength endurance? How long are your rest periods between sets.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Keeping on point Tim, solid session.

Banned
    thanks terry.

i take about 2-3m between sets, scott. not toooo much but certainly not short breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Trick is definetly deadlifting them and setting them way out on your knees when you sit down on the bench. If you can't flip up your own DBs you shouldn't be pressing them. I can't stand it when I see people being spoon fed their weights by a spotter. Flip them back down to your knees or lightly drop them to the sides holding onto them so they're not free falling. Don't be that guy.
    So true..... Plenty of people at the commercial gym I go to get handed the DBs because they are too heavy to get up there and then go on to 1/4 press them for 8 reps, followed by the trademark 5M DB throw at the end of the set!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

f=ma, keep up the hard work.

I'm gonna find it really useful to follow your lean bulk whilst I am also doing the same. Can't wait till you hit proper grown calories!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    So true..... Plenty of people at the commercial gym I go to get handed the DBs because they are too heavy to get up there and then go on to 1/4 press them for 8 reps, followed by the trademark 5M DB throw at the end of the set!
    To my defense, I do use those DBs for full ROM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Good work man. Do the face pulls seem to be helping the cuffs at all? I did mine at the end of my workout today, do you think I should do them before?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-07-2010 at 03:44 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    f=ma, keep up the hard work.

I'm gonna find it really useful to follow your lean bulk whilst I am also doing the same. Can't wait till you hit proper grown calories!
    thanks daniel. i have 2925 cals planned per day.. in reality, i'm hovering around 3100. no real weight gain yet.. i'm still hovering in the low 175s when hydrated, clean in the mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    To my defense, I do use those DBs for full ROM.
    same. i touch each rep

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Good work man. Do the face pulls seem to be helping the cuffs at all? I did mine at the end of my workout today, do you think I should do them before?
    actually i have no idea. that rest last week really helped though. i had no issue yesterday whatsoever and it was heavy weight for me... so go figure. it certainly cant have hurt. the rotator/face pull stuff is done preworkout with light bands as part of my warmup.. which also includes a half mile bike ride to the gym.. so whatever combination of stuff i've been doing seems to have panned out.

------

bw 175.2
    cals 3100ish

next saturday... if my dry weight is 175.5 or below, bumping cals again

Banned
    12 hour days all this week will catch up w/ everyones journals this weekend

House Lannister
    12 hour days all this week will catch up w/ everyones journals this weekend
    darn, so no more 430 am chats?

Banned
    no.. ill be up to work out

just dont have nearly as much time to screw around, read and ease into my 5am workout

i have to be at work asap. so much **** to do. like for instance, i should be in bed.. right now but instead dinner is almost ready and i got home from work like 20m ago... i actually had subway earlier because i was so hungry at work. i dont care though, im eating a normal dinner anyway. highest stress level of 2010 right here
    Last edited by f=ma; 07-07-2010 at 07:51 PM.

House Lannister
    no.. ill be up to work out

just dont have nearly as much time to screw around, read and ease into my 5am workout

i have to be at work asap. so much **** to do. like for instance, i should be in bed.. right now but instead dinner is almost ready and i got home from work like 20m ago... i actually had subway earlier because i was so hungry at work. i dont care though, im eating a normal dinner anyway. highest stress level of 2010 right here
    Why the sudden craziness?

Banned
    quarter end.... SEC reporting deadlines.. auditors coming... its just a big mess. and im relatively new so i dont know the job as well as needed to get **** done fast

You deserve much props for taking on the new professional challenges head on along with this project.

Banned
    thanks terry. oi i will be at work today and tomorrow til like 8pm at least. have a nice little project for this weekend though.. im going to try to build my first computer.. a htpc. it looks like theyll snap together like legos. we shall see. im going to attempt to replace the grill on my truck too. im sure that will be a bitter failure though

legs inc.
    Last edited by f=ma; 07-08-2010 at 02:45 AM.

Banned
    warmup

atf olympics
    barx8
    95x6
    135x5
    180x5
    205x5
    235x11
    205x10
    205x10
    185x10
    185x10
    185x10

calf press
    275x10
    275x10
    275x10

100 cal stairmaster 80s/m

Good stuff there man, always rocking the reps, especially as of late.

Banned
    14 hour day today.

House Lannister
    14 hour day today.
    Nice squats. 225 feels like a lofty goal now lol.