The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Banned
    targetting 25lbs initially.

dropping the dextrose a lot is going to be so much better tomorrow..... it is SO unsatiating. im growling with hunger here and i still have 2 hours til my next food intake. ugh...

most of my adaption is figuring out where my maintenance is. im estimating 2700 based on my excel science.. which actually still has me at a net deficit right now. next saturday will give me a real idea of where im at.
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-31-2010 at 10:48 AM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    targetting 25lbs initially.

dropping the dextrose a lot is going to be so much better tomorrow..... it is SO unsatiating. im growling with hunger here and i still have 2 hours til my next food intake. ugh...
    25 lbs! damn you must have a strong upper back. Are you simply replacing the dextrose with solid carbs?

Banned
    yeah.. had to drop fats and whey protein slightly to add in another 60g of oatmeal per day. i really hope i smash the next 6 months here... ive put in a lot of time setting this up

House Lannister
    yeah.. had to drop fats and whey protein slightly to add in another 60g of oatmeal per day. i really hope i smash the next 6 months here... ive put in a lot of time setting this up
    I think you will bro. What's your protein intake at?

Banned
    its 220g. i didnt actually drop anything grams-wise.. i just changed the amounts of certain items to add in the other stuff i wanted.. e.g., remove dextrose, whey, almonds, add oatmeal

Banned
    warmup

deads
    135x5
    165x5
    190x5
    220x5
    255x5
    295x5
    295x5

deficit deads
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10

GMs
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10

hypers
    bwx10
    bwx10
    bwx10

10m/100cal stairmaster MISS

done

bw 176.8.. higher due to AM bathroom timing. not concerned. this will adjust by tomorrow.. thurs at the latest. 295 wasnt terribly heavy.. but still... i wonder if i started too high. for the record, i took 90% of my estimated 5RM as my 4 week peg. i may need to fully reset before then if my BMR isnt where i have estimated. i hate lifting easy weights... but its necessary when starting a program properly sometimes
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-01-2010 at 05:01 AM.

I agree, it does take some patience to lift lighter than norm...good deal there and with tweaking the diet.

Banned
    thanks terry. i just hope i wont need to reset. its still hard to say if i picked the right maintenance level for my cals. I know i'm close though... bw has jumped a tad but i think its purely glycogen. it only took me like 8-10 hours to make this diet and setup so i better be close lol. i still look about as lean currently as i did at 175.0lb. this is why timing is so important in measurements and intake.. without a consistent basis, youre just taking wild guesses. this saturday AM will be my real checkpoint

bw 176.4
    400cals hiit
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-02-2010 at 03:27 AM.

I personally think when you're doing things right like you are even when above "maintenance" your body will continue to burn fat for a short while longer. I wouldn't be suprised if you continue to lean out even with a rising bodyweight...
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    yeah i hope so rory...

bw is 176.8 this morning... i may be going crazy.. but i looked noticeably softer than prior days. change in cals is 200/day in increased intake and reduced cardio of 300.. so netting like 500.. and no more ephedrine. today is a scheduled high carb day but in light of how i feel/look, i am going to keep it at regular carb/calorie levels for a couple more days. i still have intense hunger all the time so im not quite sure what to make of my setup as a whole yet

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Hm... maybe just one of those days eh? I feel like I play mind games on myself way too much with the mirror and how I perceive myself lol.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    not sure. thats why im holding off on a high carb day. i may need to adjust daily cals... going to sit down and completely revisit this on sat. also, i read one of rorys posts saying splenda is almost a 1g splenda:1g carb ratio? wtf. im throwing out the splenda i have.. i thought it was much much lower than that.. i have been using like probably 7-10g of splenda in my oatmeal... so thats up to 50ish cals of error. not a lot but enough to piss me off.

standing milis
    wu
    barx10
    65x5
    95x5
    115x5
    137.5x5
    137.5x5

chins
    bwx10
    bw+25x10
    bw+25x10
    bw+25x8
    bw+25x8
    bw+25x6
    bw+25x6
    bw+25x6
    bw+35x5
    bw+45x5
    bw+55x4
    bw+65x2

HS plate loaded shoulder press
    1ppsx10
    2ppsx10
    2.5ppsx8
    3ppsx6

db shrugs
    80sx10
    90sx10
    100sx10
    100sx10

100cal stairmaster 10m

AM bw 176.8
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-03-2010 at 05:12 AM.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-splenda-ft77948 Going off of this I weighed a half of cup of splenda which came in at 26g weight. Yeah pretty much 1g = 1g CHO.

And honestly, I wouldn't drop the ephedrine right now. Coming off that **** is so hard on you you probably have MAD adrenal burnout and it's going to take weeks and weeks to recover from. I'd just hang onto until you have something more than 500 cals to take it's place in energy. It's also probably a HUGE contributing factor to your hunger. The stuff always anihilated my hunger personally.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 06-03-2010 at 05:53 AM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Banned
    yeah thanks man. i stopped abruptly w/ the ephedrine on saturday. i took 12.5mg this morning just because.. i'll taper it down over the next week or so. my dog ****ed up my floors badly & intentionally by digging in a corner. i want to give him away right now. im might get him declawed in front

Your dog is a beast dude, lol - hope that **** works out ok...holding on strong with the lifting.

Banned
    terry.. yea. hes an 80lb yellow english lab. definitely not meant to be a condo dog. its partly my fault as i have been at work so much and he gets upset.. and it will work out.. its just going to cost me thousands, again. everywhere we move, he does this at some point. hardwood is particularly expensive to repair as ive learned

am bw 176.4
    very lean looking this AM.. lots of lower abdomen vascularity. believe it or not, but arm vascularity has actually improved this past week. also, im having a hard time moving around.. the following muscle groups are absolutely smoked: hams, delts, tris, chest, back. my quads are all thats left hahaha.. and not for long
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-04-2010 at 03:04 AM.

Banned
    best workout of 2010 this morning albeit light weights

wu

atf oly sq
    95x10
    115x5
    135x5
    155x5
    185x5
    207.5x5
    207.5x5
    245x3
    the 207.5's were my acclimation work sets.. but i was testing a slightly diff stance which i LOVE. it is awesome, form was perfect.. i tested it out with a little more weight.. which was also good but my hips are coming up first which i need to figure out. i did finally break down and order a custom belt which should be here in another month or so.. that will help with staying more upright i hope.

db lunges
    50sx10
    60sx10
    70sx10
    70sx10

leg ext ss w/ some plate loaded calf machine
    240x10/5.5ppsx10
    240x10/5.5ppsx10
    240x10/5.5ppsx10
    240x10/5.5ppsx10
    240x10/5.5ppsx10

10m elliptical 160bpm HR

done

post workout pump was amazing. mirror looked perfect. bw timing finally straightened itself out this morning i think. the only change in my diet is the additional of ground beef and fat free cheese in the PM, which i think messed with my intestinal track for a few days as i've been chicken only for a while

House Lannister
    best workout of 2010 this morning albeit light weights

wu

atf oly sq
    95x10
    115x5
    135x5
    155x5
    185x5
    207.5x5
    207.5x5
    245x3
    the 207.5's were my acclimation work sets.. but i was testing a slightly diff stance which i LOVE. it is awesome, form was perfect.. i tested it out with a little more weight.. which was also good but my hips are coming up first which i need to figure out. i did finally break down and order a custom belt which should be here in another month or so.. that will help with staying more upright i hope.

db lunges
    50sx10
    60sx10
    70sx10
    70sx10

leg ext ss w/ some plate loaded calf machine
    240x10/5.5ppsx10
    240x10/5.5ppsx10
    240x10/5.5ppsx10
    240x10/5.5ppsx10
    240x10/5.5ppsx10

10m elliptical 160bpm HR

done

post workout pump was amazing. mirror looked perfect. bw timing finally straightened itself out this morning i think. the only change in my diet is the additional of ground beef and fat free cheese in the PM, which i think messed with my intestinal track for a few days as i've been chicken only for a while
    Nice workout. I like the DB Lunges.

This is wonderful! You are turning into a muscle-building scientist!

You've got things mapped out so well. I wish I could do it, but "winging it" works best, or it just fits best for me.

Just have some patience with things! That's what I'm trying to follow. Just a little bit stronger and a little bit bigger every month. I know you have the patience, I saw it with your Wendler routine. I'm reading up on that actually, that and Bill Starr's 5x5.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

believe it or not, but arm vascularity has actually improved this past week.
    I don't believe it! It's about damn time that some vascularity is popping off in your arms. I was wondering what was up with that. I've put on 20 pounds since the contest and I'm still holding onto some vascularity through my arms and calves, but no where else!
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Good deal on the custom built belt, just the sound of that rocks, lol...great news about the increased vascularity too.

House Lannister
    terry.. yea. hes an 80lb yellow english lab. definitely not meant to be a condo dog. its partly my fault as i have been at work so much and he gets upset.. and it will work out.. its just going to cost me thousands, again. everywhere we move, he does this at some point. hardwood is particularly expensive to repair as ive learned

am bw 176.4
    very lean looking this AM.. lots of lower abdomen vascularity. believe it or not, but arm vascularity has actually improved this past week. also, im having a hard time moving around.. the following muscle groups are absolutely smoked: hams, delts, tris, chest, back. my quads are all thats left hahaha.. and not for long
    Haha, it's amazing how upset dogs can get when they don't get the attention they want. My dog won't come near me for a while if I've been gone as if he's trying to punish me for leaving him haha. Then, eventually he'll come over and want me to scratch his ear haha.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    This is wonderful! You are turning into a muscle-building scientist!

You've got things mapped out so well. I wish I could do it, but "winging it" works best, or it just fits best for me.

Just have some patience with things! That's what I'm trying to follow. Just a little bit stronger and a little bit bigger every month. I know you have the patience, I saw it with your Wendler routine. I'm reading up on that actually, that and Bill Starr's 5x5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I don't believe it! It's about damn time that some vascularity is popping off in your arms. I was wondering what was up with that. I've put on 20 pounds since the contest and I'm still holding onto some vascularity through my arms and calves, but no where else!
    what better than to combine the two programs!! (thats what i attempted to do w/ this setup. this are going very well so far. i actually have vascularity everywhere but my biceps. calves.. quads.. lower abdomen.. forearms, forehead (hah).. bis are just flat. weird.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good deal on the custom built belt, just the sound of that rocks, lol...great news about the increased vascularity too.
    thanks terry. it does rock, its a black/blue/black 4" bob's belt. i'm excited to get it.. not excited to break it in though

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Haha, it's amazing how upset dogs can get when they don't get the attention they want. My dog won't come near me for a while if I've been gone as if he's trying to punish me for leaving him haha. Then, eventually he'll come over and want me to scratch his ear haha.
    he was not meant to be cooped up in a condo all day. i have seriously debated giving him away to a family w/ intracoastal property the past few days because i cant give him the time he deserves... but im so selfish i dont want to

----------------------------------

anyways, bitching and moaning aside, very lean this morning.

bw 175.4.
    400cal stairmaster MISS

thats 0.4lbs increase over the past week. i am still in a hypothetical weight loss deficit of 0.88lbs per week as per my excel science. considering i replaced my high carb day with normal eating, my hypothetical loss should be almost exactly 1lbs/wk. i think it would probably be best to hold at the current levels until next saturday and see how things move again -- if at all -- then make revisions. if the current weight increase is correct, then my maint is roughly 2k cals. based on the rate i was losing weight at my calorie levels from like 3 weeks ago that just cant be right.... so i need to wait and see to get a better picture of my real weight movement at current levels. meh.
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-05-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Banned
    am bw 175.0
    400cal MISS

i am leaner than this time last week, absolutely no question about it. i have striations in my delts, very good back separation (imo) and much better quad separation even post cardio (which usually deflates me). still barely any arm vascularity tho. diet has been nothing short of perfect with one exception: i had 20g of extra oatmeal and 40g of dried pineapple yesterday. i was sherpaing heavy furniture by myself yesterday and it really exhausted me and i needed some extra food. it was about 215 extra cals.
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-06-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Good stuff Tim. You have your BP checked recently? Strange about that arm vascularity... you would think the slow filling out from the extra cals accompanied by your lean self would really make them pop like garden hoses