The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Banned
    if blows. i need self control.. just for the record, i decided i care far more about being lean than getting bigger... so im cutting my losses and dieting back down to attempt carb cycling on the way back up -- eventually

in other news, i got promoted and a bonus today. its enough to buy some very nice stuff.. but not enough to make me comfortable with buying a car. i should really just save :P i'm taking suggestions for what to buy

Banned
    i have unreal amounts of soreness right now in my legs and chest. feels good but i dont see how my quad/glute soreness isnt going to negatively affect deads tomorrow -- which sucks.. maybe ill swap mili and dead days

Banned
    fasted 400 cal stairmaster 67s/m

am cru

What is the diet plan? Same route as a few months ago?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    Yup. I'm baselining myself at the moment to figure my Cal's and get be stabilized with consistent eating

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    if blows. i need self control.. just for the record, i decided i care far more about being lean than getting bigger... so im cutting my losses and dieting back down to attempt carb cycling on the way back up -- eventually

in other news, i got promoted and a bonus today.
    Do you think IF actually sucks or that it just sucked for you? I'm curious to see what the true benefits of it are. I've been reading some articles on leangains, so I figured I could give it a try. I'm able to make it work, but I'm not sure if it has any true benefits outside of the window of eatting?

The one thing I'm happiest about with your decision to just get back the levels of lean-ness, is that you've made up your mind. That's been one of your biggest hindrances for a while, just making a decision and being content with it.

Also, congrats on the promotion. I'd try to save as much of it as I could. If I were to look into some extracurricular item to indulge in I would look into getting a motorcycle. I'm sure you're a single guy and I think a lot of females would enjoy a ride on the back of your bike. It also wouldn't hurt to ride around in a tank top with your muscles popping-- I think some females would definitely dig that. You live in Florida so that's a reasonable thing to do.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 08-18-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Screw your trainnig and diet, where's the pics of this 42 year old woman with fake breasts.............
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Banned
    i will get something this weekend lol. i promise

AM CREW

i have to take a huge dump and i have no toilet paper. gotta pinch this bad boy off til i ride my bike to the gym. this is going to be a close one. ugh

Banned
    bw 185ish.

too sore to work hard today.. it was that sore. i feared serious injury if i started to work in weights that are heavy to me.. i couldnt stabilize... even 115x1 felt a little strained. i think it was the heavy dips that did me in. i dont usually do weighted dips

light standing milis to 115x1

chins
    couple o sets of bwx10

light curls

400cal cardio

stretching.. DONE.

So you're shooting for 175ish again? When you say you're going to carb cycle afterwards do you mean in a traditional way of a high medium low day? Or would I be correct in assuming in your plan is a more radical setup along the lines of alans where he was basically dieting 5 days a week and planned overeating on his wednesday and saturday to net him a mild weekly surplus?

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Banned
    yup.. 175-178ish. your assumption is correct about the post diet plan. i'm going to start with 1 day of planned overeating on sunday to the extent of an unknown amount of cals. i really need to see how this first stage pans out in terms of fat/bloat loss. i really have no idea where im at right now until i deplete. i will prob drop another 2-3lbs of bloat over the next few days. im already down 8lbs after 4 days, believe it or not.

so tired... this is going to be a long day.

im already down 8lbs after 4 days, believe it or not.
    Wow man, now that is serious...**** like that puts quite a shock on the system.

Banned
    Yeah it was all bloat so far

I'm hoping ill be dried up by sat or sun

yup.. 175-178ish. your assumption is correct about the post diet plan. i'm going to start with 1 day of planned overeating on sunday to the extent of an unknown amount of cals. i really need to see how this first stage pans out in terms of fat/bloat loss. i really have no idea where im at right now until i deplete. i will prob drop another 2-3lbs of bloat over the next few days. im already down 8lbs after 4 days, believe it or not.

so tired... this is going to be a long day.
    What did you peak up to?

Banned
    194 a lot of that was bloat though. and that was last weekend. i saw my weight on the scale and i was disgusted with myself, which is when i decided.
    Last edited by f=ma; 08-19-2010 at 05:33 PM.

a lot of that was bloat though
    Yeah... you were dry and depleted. On the one hand I think you're crazy for dieting back down again and think the likliehood of you maintaining that low of a bf comfortably is unlikely. But on the other hand I've obviously seen how uncomfortable you feel after this jump and thats no good mentally. Optimally yeah, I'd rather see you cut again as it will probably be better for your state of mind. I simply think you may have had some extremely high expectations coming off of your diet. Maybe next time if you accept that putting on some fat afterwards is likely a little wont freak you out so much and you can go forth from a point that is easier to live with both mentally and physically. Just talking out loud here and somewhat relating your situation to myself. We may be way different people and I may well be way off base and giving you bad notions to entertain, I mean no offense if I phrased any of it crudely.

Banned
    nono, not at all.. and based on this morning, i'm inclined to agree. i'm now sitting at a hydrated 180 as of right now.. and comparable to mid/late april's conditioning.. which is really only 3-4 weeks from me at my leanest. i have to say, its pretty obvious how poorly i know my body i'm eating at 2700 perfectly clean and bloat is melting off... a lot is weight i presumed to be fat. i'm fairly amazed, in all honesty. . i thought things were far far worse than they have turned out so far this week.

in other news.. AM CREW

Banned
    deads
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    275x3
    325x5 grip a little shaky in right hand
    yar yar yar

pendlay row
    135x6
    165x6
    185x6
    195x6x2

decline situps
    bwx10
    +10x10
    +20x10

400cal stairmaster

finito

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Do you think IF actually sucks or that it just sucked for you? I'm curious to see what the true benefits of it are. I've been reading some articles on leangains, so I figured I could give it a try. I'm able to make it work, but I'm not sure if it has any true benefits outside of the window of eatting?.
    Dear Tim,

Ummmm, can you give me a little input or feedback with regards to this question.

Thanks dearly,

Scott

p.s. I remember you said it blew for you, but would you chalk a lot of that up to working out in the mornings?
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Banned
    dear scott,

in response to your question regarding IF... hah

no but seriously, there were a couple of reasons. i preferred regular eating intervals. this is just habit I have formed over time. the other main reason is that on day 2, post workout, at work, i got very very hypoglycemic and became faint and unable to concentrate. i had to get food.. work is too busy and mentally demanding to be unproductive. realistically speaking, it is totally doable, but I'm not in a position where I can begin an eating habit change like that right now. so to answer your question, yes, I think training early AM then not eating until noon is very difficult to stomach (funny!). even when taking BCAAs every hour, its just a gnawing feeling. i think it would be beneficial for someone who struggles with convential dieting.. but it is a poor solution for someone who is trying to gain, whether lean or not.

but then again, what do I know? there are countless advocates on leangains and the like that live and die by IF.

--------------------------------

fasted activity consisting of:

1. light depletion work for the half assed shoulder sessions on thurs
    2. 400 cal stairmaster
    3. stretching

Why depletion work??

Banned
    i want to be close to fully depleted as i continue to diet so i can better measure the effect of my cal intake on fat loss

i want to be close to fully depleted as i continue to diet so i can better measure the effect of my cal intake on fat loss
    I don't follow how that directly relates. I guess from a 'feeling things out' standpoint there's that intangible element that comes from trying things were you literally attain a "feel" for your body that you can't really explain. You just kind of know. And I guess that makes a lot of sense.

I guess I just asked because I was wondering if you were doing a structured diet like UD2 where you deliberatly incorporate depletion. Apart from a composed program like that I think staying away from being depleted as much as possible is usually the smartest and safest way to go about a diet.

Banned
    no.. nothing like UD2. really, it was to get a far submaximal session in for shoulders as I couldnt hit it on thursday even close to the extent that I would have preferred. really... depletion isnt the right word to describe it.... but I cant think of anything more appropriate. its not like i was doing 10 sets of 15 with a depletion tempo like in UD2 tho. it was 1 working set of shoulders, abs and bis each

i would say your first paragraph is most appropriate. i'm trying to see where i bottom out with my current cal intake so that I know if and how i should adjust, if any adjustment at all is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Dear Tim,

Ummmm, can you give me a little input or feedback with regards to this question.

"Do you think IF actually sucks or that it just sucked for you? I'm curious to see what the true benefits of it are. I've been reading some articles on leangains, so I figured I could give it a try. I'm able to make it work, but I'm not sure if it has any true benefits outside of the window of eatting?."

Thanks dearly,

Scott

p.s. I remember you said it blew for you, but would you chalk a lot of that up to working out in the mornings?

I know you asked Tim but I wanted to chime in on this one too. My 2 cents are it's nothing but a behavioural advantage. Or at least 99%. But behaviour IMO is always more important than the physiological (within reason). In a recent question from steve colescott on my view of gear and how a natural trainee can fair up against an assisted athlete I answered basically the same. While obviously if the two indiviudals had the same genetics, were eating the same and working equally as hard the assisted one is going to go much farther. I'm not personally convinced thats the greatest advantage of the drugs. I think perhaps the larger benefit is the superhuman ego thats also injected into them. I don't think most natural lifters ever come remotely close to pushing themselves to their limit. And while the limit is raised signifigantly on gear, I think the behavioural aspect of the superman notion that he can lift more weight, and do more sets now sets the focus and work ethic that may accounts for a signifigant portion of their gains. I feel the same way about any drastic weightlifting program, eating style or whathaveyou, obviously there are still great advantages in training styles and techniques that allow for greater strength and hypertrophy, but those programs are useless if starting one costs the trainee some of their mental focus IMO. Ultimately IF vs 6 meals I feel there's little physiological difference, but in individuals where fasting the morning is easy, it simply makes for better applications of the same nutrition therefore better adhereance. I think the same goes for HIT vs high volume and/or any other style. It all comes down to adhereance, which is probably going to be in whatever fashion the trainee has more fun. I still believe the more volume one can train with at a high intensity that is both consistent and safe is best (by consistent meaning they can recover from it in time to do it again). But if someone tries to train high volume and it's a drag on them and they don't enjoy it, they're not going to progress. I think that's obvious. Anyhow this is now really long. That my 2 cents on IF... and gear... and more than you asked from someone you didn't even ask.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-21-2010 at 03:11 PM.