The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 23 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Banned
    400cal stairmaster

amusing: a couple of overweight girls were wearing their huge designer sunglasses smoking outside the gym then came in to walk at 1mph on the treadmill while making a lot of noise about how dumb they are. why even bother

Banned
    squat
    various to
    285x5
    almost fell over on #1 but still recovered and hit 5

bench
    various to
    245x5.. #5 grinder

row
    195x5

bw hypers
    situps

done

I think it's commendable that you aspire to maintain a shirt off leaness year round. Who wouldn't want to. The only thing I worry is you're constantly setting the bar too high. 8-10% is no joke to carry around if it doesn't come naturally. And when you, just like myself, have a history of getting 16-18+ this is a pretty drastic change, especially so far below setpoint. What do you reckon you're at right now?

Also, 10-15 more pounds of LBM means you'll probably look better at 12% than you would with your current lbm at 10%. But obvioulsy that a huge gain that would take 2-3 years and it's pretty evident you want to maintain the healthy fit look right now, which is understandable.

I feel for you, just last night I was blown out of the water by some dude in the gym. Legtimately 6'2" 225-230 @ 7% ripped, pressed 425 like nothing. He was wearing a tshirt and I had a tank and I felt like a bitch both fat and tiny. I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted to go home and and down 200g carbs post workout to get there quicker o (minus the height haha) or eat 100g of slow burning oats to keep from getting too sloppy (as if either decision would actually make an appreciable difference in the shorterm). But I feel for the waffleing mentaliity. To be honest it'll probably never go away. It comes with the body dysmophia we develop and we'll always want to be bigger and leaner. I think the mental growth of being comfortable somewhat in the middle and actually knowing we're decently built and should be comfortable with a middle ground that is most important. And not that I've achieved that, but I think once one does they may be even more focused in a gain or leaning endeavor. /3 cents
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    I wonder if you'd have as much mental trouble bulking and putting on fat if you didn't live in such a warm area. I bet if you moved back up to the Chi you'd have no misgivings about it; people look like $hit there year round and finding a nice body on a girl that's over 18 is like searching for the Ark of the Covenant: good luck.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Props on being lean year around bro but when do you plan to bulk? Cause right now is about the best time to start. I bulk from sept-jan without going above 15% cut from feb-may=Shredded from june july august sept rinse repeat. I'm not tryin to tell you what to do cause I know you're a smart guy just interested in your training.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Lolz

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Banned
    thomas you are right. i truly never anticipated it would be this hard for me to let go

what can i say.

Figured you'd be up, mornin.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    you are correct! i stopped checking in the AM since no ones been around lately. good morning to you ask well. so i think i cracked a rib on my left side yesterday. its not bad but is def restricting... i can feel it when i breath and it hurts when i prod at it.

its not broken its bruised. if its broken youre gonna know it, every breath will feel like a knife in your side. youll break it easily though now thats its bruised. DO NOT NOT NOT DO ANYTHING PUTTING PRESSURE ON YOUR RIBCAGE OR THE MUSCLES SURROUNDING IT. DEFINETLEY DONT BENCH OR ROW. how did this happen?

Yup, I broke a guys ribs once, he cried and moaned in agony, we all thought he was wimping out to go to the hospital, the paramedics said it'd be like someone taking a knife and stabbing you in the side everytime you breathe, exactly. Man that sucks, really, how'd you do that crap?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    you are correct! i stopped checking in the AM since no ones been around lately. good morning to you ask well. so i think i cracked a rib on my left side yesterday. its not bad but is def restricting... i can feel it when i breath and it hurts when i prod at it.
    NOT what I wanted to hear....

Banned
    I almost fell over doing squats.... belt was too tight or too high... hard to call it right now. I don't think its severe but I probably can't go heavy for a week or two

Yeah don't. Go heavy and you'll soon find yourself on the couch drinking every night to dull the pain and be able to sleep for five weeks while you turn into a 22% fatass.

Wow man, **** happens...have to rest up for a while, good thing it is not severe.

Banned
    thanks ryan, mark, terry, rory.. im ok, its just going to restrict me for a bit.

but ya.. i can breath deep and im not in pain. coughing produces some discomfort and if i poke at it, that hurts obviously. its prob not worth getting xrays. just need to rest it a bit. rory, youre probably right, prob bruised. i did break 2 ribs a while back and i had difficulty moving around, breathing, standing, sitting etc.. so yeah, this isnt nearly that severe. not even the same ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Yeah don't. Go heavy and you'll soon find yourself on the couch drinking every night to dull the pain and be able to sleep for five weeks while you turn into a 22% fatass.
    Ummm you seem to speak from experience. Didn't something like that happen to you-- an injury and your weight blew up?
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Tim,

I don't know what to say anymore, but I just want to see you do what's best for you. I can definitely see the appeal to staying lean year round. If anything I would say that the months of Dec, Jan, and Feb are months where you can watch things get a bit sloppy. A 3 month bulk period isn't much to push you over to the side of fat assedness.

So are you looking to just maintain where you are at or are you thinking of cutting back down to actually drop a few pounds?

Post up some damn pics. It's been a while.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Banned
    i feel good, im gonna try some squatting today. i think the torso issue was even less serious than anticipated. i forgot i even hurt it last night when i was thinking about lifting this morning until i realized why i didnt goto the gym weds morning..

scott.. i think i might try something new in here in the coming months.... but here is where im at right now. basically no progress and more fat hah.. so yes, i have unintentionally "maintained"

dont laugh.

Dude you're like 9-11%. I expected like 15% the way you talk. You look entirely presentable for any stage off offseason. I vehemetly believe you should be striving for some big hypertrophy right now. Honestly, maintaining that is not that headturning. Your peak condition is but that would be assinine to try and hold onto for extended periods. With a couple more pounds you'll look just as good with that VERY lean conditioning you're at right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Ummm you seem to speak from experience. Didn't something like that happen to you-- an injury and your weight blew up?
    Yeah, last february when I cracked my ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    dont laugh.
    WTF, with exception of the farmer's tan - lol, you look outstanding, especially the legs.

Banned
    haha that farmers tan is dead sexy and you know it, terry

ya......... i should be bulking here. im playing with some ideas

ribs feel good

just some legs & cardio today, fasted on 10g of bcaas and a small amt of dex

db lunges ss with 45 deg calf press
    40sx5 / 5ppsx10
    65sx6 / 5ppsx10
    90sx6 / 5ppsx10
    105sx3 / 5ppsx10

250cal stairmaster.. 14m. fast pace. really angry over nothing today... good motivation for pushing myself.

Unbelievable with them heavy db lunges, big calf work too.

Banned
    40m stairmaster