The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 31 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Banned
    no

Big squats and lunges, have you ever tried Bulgarian Split Squats in place of Lunges? I prefer them because of the constant tension on the muscle and they give some brutal doms.
    I would sign up for a training session with that chick. If things end up going well she might like the thought of you doing that just to have a chance to talk to her. If not, oh well.

Big squats. How'd the belt do today?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    mon: direct bi
    weds: direct bi
    fri, direct bi

------------------

db curlz
    30sx5
    45sx5
    60sx6
    40sx5
    need to back off the volume on these early next week. they feel overworked!
    My biceps would feel overworked too. Do you really need to work them three times a week?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    335x4-Good Job T-man. I must have missed it but what are you doing right now body weight wise? Gaining maintaining cutting?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Glad to see you experimenting with your routine, this new one looks quite ambitious I might add.

The leg work and db curls are looking excellent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Big squats and lunges, have you ever tried Bulgarian Split Squats in place of Lunges? I prefer them because of the constant tension on the muscle and they give some brutal doms.
    I would sign up for a training session with that chick. If things end up going well she might like the thought of you doing that just to have a chance to talk to her. If not, oh well.
    i might do it this next wednesday :P

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Big squats. How'd the belt do today?
    actually it was very good. i think i found the groove. the first set at 275 was too low and i bruised the hell out of my left thigh with the buckle. i brought it up a bit and it was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    My biceps would feel overworked too. Do you really need to work them three times a week?
    need? no. but i want to add in as much volume as I can. i previously did no direct arm because i read here actually that it wasnt necessary lol. well, turns out that was wrong. i have like no arm vascularity or development and its definitely a shortcoming of my physique

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    335x4-Good Job T-man. I must have missed it but what are you doing right now body weight wise? Gaining maintaining cutting?
    i'm on an epic sized 100% clean bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Glad to see you experimenting with your routine, this new one looks quite ambitious I might add.

The leg work and db curls are looking excellent.
    thanks terry. i'm going to try 350/115s next week on squats

hip/groin feels good. if all is well tomorrow AM, ill do some cardio and stretching.

House Lannister
    I'm actually interested to see how the high volume/high frequency works for your biceps. I was doing something similar on W(4B)R and I think it definitely helped my arm development.

Only thing I would say is maybe to add some higher/medium-rep close-grip chins possibly, but it may tax you too much.

Are you doing your 4-day 5x5?

Banned
    i hadnt really thought about it, but its pretty similar. i'm just trying to hit my primary lift as hard as possible and im incrementing when i hit 5. im actually doing chins on tues/thurs when i have time. believe it or not, those workouts take like an hour thirty to do. i do chins on tues/thurs as time allows.. and if i feel like it.

my sleep cycle is so messed up. its 5am on saturday morning and im wide awake.

Banned
    more arm volume is certainly going to help more than no arm volume did. maybe i should just do an arm day on saturday or something..... but i like the idea of splitting tri/bi on different days so that i have more of a chance to recover by the time benching rolls around. i do not under any circumstances want recovery to affect my benching progression.

The arm training recomendation is a tricky subject. Some guys are all arm and bench, so telling them that direct arm training isn't needed gets them to focus on using the bigger lifts. I see that as a good improvement. I'd rather see them devoting their time to things like chins and rows which will have a greater impact over-all.

Now guys like you, who obviously have all their bases covered, I say direct arm training is fine. But I still don't know if it's required for gaining arm size if the big compounds are being utilized. That's always been an interesting debate to me; some guys swear they need it and others swear they don't.

I've tried both ways and honestly the difference seems to be minimal. If I focus on arms for a while, they will grow a bit, but I assume that it's from energy storage. As soon as I stop the extra arm work, the measurements quickly return to their previous size. I'm thinking the gains are temporary unless I keep up with the direct arm training. On the flip side, I know if I gain size everywhere from getting stronger and eating in excess, then my arms will grow right along with everything else.

Of course this is all just experimental because I've never devoted enough time and energy to direct arm training to see the true outcome over an extended period of time. Maybe once I switch over to bodypart training I'll change my mind.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    yeah i dont know buddy. what i do know is that my previous efforts with arm did not pan out. so i will try something different. the current level of volume is too much... but i will find the sweet spot. probably something around twice per week

misc accessory lifting today including
    weighted situps, rotator, bw hypers, dynamic mobility etc

20m stairmaster.

Banned
    Nice Squats! Giving me a run for my money, sheeeesh

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    yeah i dont know buddy. what i do know is that my previous efforts with arm did not pan out. so i will try something different. the current level of volume is too much... but i will find the sweet spot. probably something around twice per week .
    I'll be interested to watch your results. Who knows...I might join you one day.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    ty chip. or, we'll see how it goes.

big benching day tomorrow. rest is good, diet is perfect, i want the 115s for 5. we'll see.

I threw in some direct arm work today. I'll keep throwing it in to see what happens over the long run.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    i think it will be beneficial

AM CRU

i'm feeling tired but the stims will take care of that. i have a huge crease in my face from my pillow seam.

Mornin
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Keep at it homie and smash that bench session - nothing feels better than benching on a Monday
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Banned
    HELLO AM BRETHREN

warmup:
    bands
    rotator

db inc bench
    35sx10
    50sx10
    65sx5
    85sx3
    100sx3
    115sx5.5/6, **** yes, 120s next week
    115sx4/4
    115sx4/4
    110sx6
    105sx8
    100sx10
    90sxhigh teens, dunno, didnt log

dips
    bwx5
    +25x5
    +50x5
    +75x5
    +100x3
    +75x7
    +75x5

bb bench
    95x5
    135x3
    185x3
    225x6, fail on 7, lower rung
    225x5
    185x10
    185x9, fail on 10, lower rung

db CURLZ
    30sx5
    45sx5
    65sx3
    40sx10

bw: 207 lol.

no stretching although hip/groin feels pretty good... if i feel 90% or better i may go for 415 tomorrow on deads. TBD! also, considering i look pretty damn decent at 207... i might be able to carry this to 230-240 without being overly disgusted with myself. if i cant break a 500 dead and 400 squat on that i dont know what wiill.
    Last edited by f=ma; 10-04-2010 at 05:03 AM.

Holy crap that is a ton of volume. Nice job hitting the 115's.

Strong session.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Excellent strength with the DB's.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

House Lannister
    That was a heroic session.

Killer workout dude, way to start the day.