The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Banned
    i havent and i really should. i get light headed every time i stand. im between insurance coverage atm so ive been putting it off. my resting heart rate is really low though... like 38-42 tops. i've measured it on a few occasions. some asshat pulled the fire alarm about 30m ago.. i didnt bother trying to go back to bed. chest/back this morning

I don't think that's really low Tim. For people who are active and such, heart rates are lower. Even mine is around 54BPM resting. Get your BP checked man, go to the local pharmacy and have it done there for free. I bought one of those wrist thingys and use it just about daily to check mine, it's been pretty accurate, not 110% as accurate but it's enough to tell you if you're about to stroke out or not, haha.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    yeah its not the resting HR im worried about.. its lightheadedness every time i stand. i dont faint or even get close to it but the blood drains then returns after about 5 sec. not sure... so chest/back this morning..

wu

bench
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5
    155x5
    180x5
    210x5
    210x5
    played with grips here.. my left shoulder and elbow are tweaked.. trying to get a good groove.. did not find it.. even on light sets it was awkward. this may be the result of like 6 months of heavy lifting with no intentional time off

db row per arm -- ****ty ass rows
    50x10
    80x10
    110x10
    110x10
    110x10
    110x10
    last two sets were filled with rest pauses and resets because i couldnt hold onto the dbs today, very poor

bb incline bench
    135x10
    145x10
    145x10
    145x8,2
    145x7,3
    felt ok

db curls per arm
    30x10
    45x10
    45x10
    45x10

db inc bench
    70sx10
    70sx10

100 cal MISS stairmaster

my left shoulder did not feel good last week benching either. im just hoping this isnt a chronic problem developing. need to look into that shoulder prehab that ive seen travis bell mention

Keep hanging tough where the shoulder & elbow is concerned...diet is a key factor in these moments and you have in fact been dieting down.

Banned
    terry, lemme tell you this sucks. my shoulder doesnt hurt yet but its going to if i keep on flat benching. im going to start adding a decent amount of rotator warmup and im dropping 5x5 bench.. just going to do low incline db bench and incline bb. burning out my shoulder at age 28 is not worth it

while i am bitching... i dont want to eat 3oz of pasta. i want like 12oz of pasta and a 20oz of ground beef and another 4oz of FULL FAT CHEDDAR. sigh
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-07-2010 at 06:27 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I feel you on the left rotator cuff. That's exactly the area that's been bothering me for a while now! The external and internal lying-down rotating motions using light dumbbells has seemed to help me, along with slightly-decreased pressing volume and just a general awareness of not stressing my cuff during the day (opening/closing doors, sliding open windows, etc.). I should probably add in some light face pulls every now and then too.

Good work nonetheless bro.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-07-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

House Lannister
    F, how wide are you when you bench? I've never really gotten rotator "pain," but I have gotten some deep aches in there on occasion. I always find that tucking in my elbows (not flaring) and going to a closer grip always helps. Just my experience, although I'm sure you know proper bench form.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    I feel you on the left rotator cuff. That's exactly the area that's been bothering me for a while now! The external and internal lying-down rotating motions using light dumbbells has seemed to help me, along with slightly-decreased pressing volume and just a general awareness of not stressing my cuff during the day (opening/closing doors, sliding open windows, etc.). I should probably add in some light face pulls every now and then too.

Good work nonetheless bro.
    thanks fix. gonna have to run with it and see how it goes
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    F, how wide are you when you bench? I've never really gotten rotator "pain," but I have gotten some deep aches in there on occasion. I always find that tucking in my elbows (not flaring) and going to a closer grip always helps. Just my experience, although I'm sure you know proper bench form.
    i bench w/ pinkies on the rings. i have been using PL form. i have a great build for benching.. i have a long torso and i can get massive amounts of arch. ive been trying to move away from that and just tuck my shoulders. it probably is a form problem but given that im still tucking and not flaring until i need to i dont know where i can go w/ this one except away from the exercise entirely

this weekend im dropping my standards and will be very aggressive -- this is the longest ive been w/o a girlfriend in a while. shouldnt be hard, im just sooo picky normally. i want an athlete
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-08-2010 at 02:59 AM.

Banned
    am bw 175.4

warmup

deads
    135x5
    170x5
    195x5
    225x5
    260x5
    305x5
    305x5

def deads
    225x10
    225x10
    225x10
    225x12

gms
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10

decline situps
    bwx10
    bw+10x10
    bw+20x10
    bw+20x10

100cal MISS stairmaster

I like the amount of cardio you have in your routine. Not too much, just enough to get things going. Are you feeling much better with the decision of not dieting down anymore and slowly building your calories back up? Have you noticed the change physically from hard diet to clean diet?

I'm back on the clean diet myself, probably getting around 3,000 calories on workout days, and less carbs on non-workout days. I feel great when I eat clean, do you notice a difference when you eat cleanner?
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Banned
    i feel great about not dieting further. i am pretty much at maintenance right now exactly. my weight has been extremely consistent the past 10 days. if i stick where i was at again this next saturday i'm going to bump things by 125 cals/day, pretty much all carbs. my diet while doing the precontest setup per alberto is substantially exactly what I'm doing now except with more calories per day. diet is 100% clean.. no indulgences whatsoever for a few months now... i did have those 3 unscheduled burgers on memorial day and subway once in early may also... but that is it.

Damn that's impressive consistency. You give me no excuse but to be 100% perfect for my remainder.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    i know exactly how i started getting so fat last time. i got impatient... i wanted to eat big.... petience is very difficult. im really hungry but waiting to see how it pans out over time before i up things

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    this weekend im dropping my standards and will be very aggressive -- this is the longest ive been w/o a girlfriend in a while. shouldnt be hard, im just sooo picky normally. i want an athlete
    Pics when this happens...

Oh, and motivation..

Edit: Oh, and how are you not getting laid like every weekend? You're jacked as hell and it ain't like your an ugly mofo either (no homo). Plus, you're in Florida, right? Do you not hit up the clubs/bars that often? I'd imagine it'd be tough not to imbibe if everyone else was, though. Hell, if I were you I'd just go to the beach and ****in' clean house haha. Good luck man.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 06-08-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Damn that's impressive consistency. You give me no excuse but to be 100% perfect for my remainder.
    thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Pics when this happens...

Oh, and motivation..

Edit: Oh, and how are you not getting laid like every weekend? You're jacked as hell and it ain't like your an ugly mofo either (no homo). Plus, you're in Florida, right? Do you not hit up the clubs/bars that often? I'd imagine it'd be tough not to imbibe if everyone else was, though. Hell, if I were you I'd just go to the beach and ****in' clean house haha. Good luck man.
    yeah im in FL. well its only been like 3 weeks. i dont drink ever really.. i dont like drinking anymore. i used to (see old journal) get hammered regularly but it completely lost its appeal. i will report back. like i said, i have very high standards. i'm going out with a milf from work this friday actually lol. shes prob like early 40s.. SLAMMING body and fake rack though.

---------------------------------------------

am bw 174.6
    400 cal MISS

i've been on 5-7 hours of sleep tops for the past 2 weeks. i really should just skip and go back to bed for a while today.

work has been so ****ty the past 10ish days. first real grind at the new job... and i have not been given the tools to my job well in the time frame allocated. i have excellent notes and will destroy next month.. but its embarassing to have struggled like this. i have massive new job anxiety atm.. **** has piled up very quickly. i could prob work 10-12 hr lunchless days for the next week and just barely be caught up
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-09-2010 at 05:03 AM.

I was just looking through your new journal here. Good luck with your goals. I see you having no problem hitting your numbers by December. And lookin sick after the cut man! That's where I would like to be. I want to get up over 175 lean.

House Lannister
    You've only been there three weeks? Damn, that's a short amount of time. What don't you like about drinking anymore? The fat gain aspect? :P

Banned
    thanks pinky, appreciate it man

ryan, ive only been truly single for a handful of weeks. ive been in florida for a while now... 3 years? i dont like drinking because its a waste of cals & i hate feeling like **** the next day. last time i boozed was on halloween of 2008 for the first time in months and i got a DUI. that soured me pretty badly also. if it were legal, i would be puffing instead. being drunk and picking up bar trash is amusing though.. but few little is more annoying than being around drunk people when youre sober. drunk people are so irritating.

House Lannister
    thanks pinky, appreciate it man

ryan, ive only been truly single for a handful of weeks. ive been in florida for a while now... 3 years? i dont like drinking because its a waste of cals & i hate feeling like **** the next day. last time i boozed was on halloween of 2008 for the first time in months and i got a DUI. that soured me pretty badly also. if it were legal, i would be puffing instead. being drunk and picking up bar trash is amusing though.. but few little is more annoying than being around drunk people when youre sober. drunk people are so irritating.
    Haha so true. Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Me too! Going to be meeting up with a lot of people this weekend and I will be hunting for some prey

Great work with the diet too. It's gotta feel good to be maintaining such a great physique! I've also had a burger myself in the past week, but I usually don't feel too bad about it because I could use the calories and I usually get protein-style (bunless).

Keep it up bro.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    fix it def does. i am pleased with my progress. i wish i could have held on too more strength.. but i know im going to bounce back big time with a MUCH lower bw this time. ideally this time next year i would like to be sub 10% with a 3x bw pull and a double bw bench. squat i dont really care about LOL

prewo notes:

bw 174.4. doing a high carb today with 100 extra carbs. i am convinced that i am slightly below maintenance. i am making an adjustment this saturday to up things slightly

Banned
    bw 174.4. im not rory lean but im still looking pretty.

arm circles
    rotator movements
    arm circles
    rotator movements

standing milis
    85x5
    95x5
    105x5
    115x5
    120x5
    140x5
    140x5
    shoulder feels good. its sore but it is a DOMS sore, not a pain sore

chins
    bwx10
    bw+25x10
    bw+25x10 20
    bw+25x9
    bw+25x8 37
    bw+25x8
    bw+25x6 51
    bw+35x6
    bw+50x5 62
    bw+65x3 65
    good

dips
    bwx20
    bwx20
    bwx18
    good

db shrugs
    70sx10
    90sx10
    90sx10
    90sx10

100cal MISS stairmaster

high carb day today. WOOOO.
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-10-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Nice standing mili's, and have fun on the high carb day. Everything looks good bro.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Solid workout buddy. Good chins too.

So are you working on gaining weight back now? What's your diet going to be like?

I'd like to ask for your advice - I'm in the 155-160lb weight range right now. I would guess my bodyfat percentage is 10-11%. I'm definietly lean but I'm not all cut up by any means. I'm going to be gaining as much weight as possible. I'm in the mindset now of eating whatever it takes to down enough calories to keep the weight gaining. I don't eat any real crap food like potatoe chips or anything.. but I'm eating pizza, burgers, italian beefs, whatever. I've gained good ammounts of weight in the past without eating perfectly clean with minimal fat gain. Do you think if it's worked in the past I shouldn't worry about it much? Or do you think it would be in my better interest to crack down on a clean diet since I'm going to be shooting for 180-190lbs.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 06-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.

i know im going to bounce back big time with a MUCH lower bw this time. ideally this time next year i would like to be sub 10% with a 3x bw pull and a double bw bench. squat i dont really care about LOL
    I think you'll do great with this slower bulk, and with the clean diet. That's the ideal way to go about it, and I'm trying to follow that plan. I'm looking to add 5 pounds of muscle by my next contest, which is about 10 months away. A lot of things are going to change from what I did last time.

And LOL at "Squat, I don't really care about".

If you're DLing 3x BW you should be up in the 400's with your Squat.

Go get it.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...