Page 6 of 80 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: lifting journal pt. 2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I believe what you had in line before you talked to Berto wasn't a bad idea. I subscribed to that way about 4 weeks ago. I was cutting the carbs down on off days and upping them on workout days, and it helped me lean out a bit, but I was closer to 15% BF I'd guess, and it helped me lean out.

What were the main adjustments that Berto has in line for you, or what you were doing 2 weeks ago? I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea to try the carb rotation at some point in the future, just to see how it works for you, you'll never know until you do it. Just like how I changed up my routine DRASTICALLY lately.
    actually i like the setup i made quite a bit. i think i am going to give it ago in like 10ish weeks from now when i am able to have the cardio cut further down. thats the next turn for me.. cut the cardio down.

i have to admit... each day its getting progressively more difficult to not splurge. despite increased cals... i'm still burning fat and with the lowered ephedrine and stimulant levels i am kind of lethargic. i already decided earler today that i'm skipping my cardio tomorrow so i can sleep til 7am. i am usually up at 4 as most of us know.. its just getting hard not to EAT. i want to make like 1lb of finely cut chicken, 1.5lbs of ww pasta and a ****ton of parmesan.. some skim milk....some mixed veggies for the hell of it then just vegetate on the couch and watch a movie or something
    Last edited by f=ma; 12-12-2010 at 03:09 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Hm well I think you're probably right that it makes recovery a bit more difficult. I guess that's a sacrifice I take with that kind of diet haha. Good luck either way man. I'm sure you know your body pretty well enough at this point that you can make good decisions with Berto. And your workout looked good to me despite being under-recovered. What will your daily calorie/carb intake be for now and the next 10 weeks or however long you plan to stick with it?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

haha when it comes to weighing in, dumps are ever so important. Workouts look good, how's the sleep been lately? These are my days off so the chances of me being here when you wake up are slim, but I may be, who knows. (I know that sounds bad, "I may not be here when you wake up" but yet...no homo?)
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

hmm, your overall goal and dieting strategy isn't that far from mine.

I want to lean bulk and through carb rotation, my training days are generally surplus with more carbs and off days are low carb and a defecit. 2 hours of cardio a week on off days. Be interesting to see how you get on.

Oh and just to make you jealous, this was my last car I owned for 18 months
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post

I want to lean bulk and through carb rotation, my training days are generally surplus with more carbs and off days are low carb and a defecit. 2 hours of cardio a week on off days. Be interesting to see how you get on.

Nice bmw daniel! I could never drive around in a convertible, however. Way too conspicuous. . I get self-conscious when i drive a 911 carrera in subtle paint tho haha.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Hm well I think you're probably right that it makes recovery a bit more difficult. I guess that's a sacrifice I take with that kind of diet haha. Good luck either way man. I'm sure you know your body pretty well enough at this point that you can make good decisions with Berto. And your workout looked good to me despite being under-recovered. What will your daily calorie/carb intake be for now and the next 10 weeks or however long you plan to stick with it?
    its consistent over the course of the week. i'm at about 2700/day right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    haha when it comes to weighing in, dumps are ever so important. Workouts look good, how's the sleep been lately? These are my days off so the chances of me being here when you wake up are slim, but I may be, who knows. (I know that sounds bad, "I may not be here when you wake up" but yet...no homo?)
    thanks man. i actually slept in this morning... skipped cardio, my back and hams are smoked and i was exhausted last night. i determined earlier in the day that i needed rest so sleep is good as of right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post

while i like the diet setup i made for very basic carb cycling, his response made it seem like it was less than ideal. since this is the expert advice i paid for, i'm going to follow it for at least another 4 weeks and see how it goes. i have all the time in the world to mess with it after that.

as far as m3s... i love the 2011s.. ive always been very meh about prior body styles. 2011 is just awesome though, it was redesigned very well... but certainly not cheap. 75k is mean price here in so fla. it would be tight but i could lease one for 3 yrs but it would force me to be very careful w/ finances rather than being hood rich.. so meh. ill pocket the $ for now.
    Last edited by f=ma; 12-03-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Too right about doing what you're told - if you're gonna hire someone who is an expert, you gotta follow exactly what they say and see the course through for sure.

Yeah, the 2011 is awesome, but I also got a thing for the 2005 body (the one I owned). Quick as hell and a real head turner. But I am with you, a pricey hobby and right now I am opting for a more sensible Audi A3 TDI and will stick to saving
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

House Lannister
    F, ever thought about getting a sportbike? Ducatis and bmws new s1000rr would be pretty sick to have and you'd pull mad ***** on it, plus it'll rip past any car on the street.

Banned
    nah.. believe it or not, florida is extremely dangerous on the road. one of the reasons i got my truck -- so that when i get involved in a serious accident, which has yet to happen -- i ensure that they are the ones that are going to die. riding a bike here is insanity... plus as far as transpo, i can get my bicycle and ride anywhere downtown in about the same amount of time it takes to get my truck out of my garage and find a parking spot etc. my company is going public in a few months though.. and there is a lot of reward riding on that. things could change drastically for the better within 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    while i like the diet setup i made for very basic carb cycling, his response made it seem like it was less than ideal. since this is the expert advice i paid for, i'm going to follow it for at least another 4 weeks and see how it goes. i have all the time in the world to mess with it after that.
    After you go through this 4 weeks, just re-evaluate things and see if it worked. I've been trying to make mental notes as to what has worked for me. While going over the 12 weeks of contest prep I pretty much did a low-fat clean diet, while carbs and protein were over 200 grams a piece over the last few weeks. I can't remember the #'s exactly, but with the big trend of low-carb dieting with refeeds I didn't follow that route. I can say that the next time I diet down I will make sure I add the occassional refeed days while still following the low-fat diet.

Over the course of the last week I did a low-carb set up and then tried to load up on carbs, and I really mis-timed it-- I looked dry and shredded 2 days before the show, so I'm thinking that my body soaks up the carbs drastically by the next day. I looked great in my avatar, but not as full when I hit the stage. I could have probably just stuck with what I was doing since it had been working for the whole dieting process, but you live and you learn.

That's just an example of how I played around with things and am working to tweak them in the future.

The idea of rotating carbs make a lot of sense to me. If you aren't lifting you don't necessarily need 300 grams of carbs for that day. Also the idea of refeeds or spike days make sense because your body can adapt to pretty much anything so you need these types of days to shock your system. I usually try to think of the basics of why something has worked within diets. I'm trying to eat clean now, but I'm throwing in days where I go way over my maintenance and I'm waiting to see what happens.

You do a great job of keeping track of things so you will definitely find what works for you over the course of a few months. Just keep doing what your doing, you look great thus far.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Banned
    am crew.

temporary deviation from today's scheduled diet... being that i am on elevated cals this week, i am skipping my high day to keep things consistent -- for now. as i weighed in a little high imo. 173.8. depending on how i weigh in tomorrow i will add it back in.. perhaps on sunday. i'm glad i took yesterday off from cardio.. my back is still smoked but i feel good w/ the extra sleep. i did forget to record yesterdays weight into excel but i think it was either 173.0 or 173.2..... i cant remember. either way, the rest yesterday was good. mili & chins today.

Checkin' in!

Good deal bro. Unplanned but needed rest always feels great! Good luck with the presses and pulls, I have a good feeling that you'll smoke 'em.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience;2348208[B
    ](1)[/B] After you go through this 4 weeks, just re-evaluate things and see if it worked. I've been trying to make mental notes as to what has worked for me. While going over the 12 weeks of contest prep I pretty much did a low-fat clean diet, while carbs and protein were over 200 grams a piece over the last few weeks. I can't remember the #'s exactly, but with the big trend of low-carb dieting with refeeds I didn't follow that route. I can say that the next time I diet down I will make sure I add the occassional refeed days while still following the low-fat diet.

Over the course of the last week I did a low-carb set up and then tried to load up on carbs, and I really mis-timed it-- I looked dry and shredded 2 days before the show, so I'm thinking that my body soaks up the carbs drastically by the next day. I looked great in my avatar, but not as full when I hit the stage. I could have probably just stuck with what I was doing since it had been working for the whole dieting process, but you live and you learn.

That's just an example of how I played around with things and am working to tweak them in the future.

[B](2)[/B ]The idea of rotating carbs make a lot of sense to me. If you aren't lifting you don't necessarily need 300 grams of carbs for that day. Also the idea of refeeds or spike days make sense because your body can adapt to pretty much anything so you need these types of days to shock your system. I usually try to think of the basics of why something has worked within diets. I'm trying to eat clean now, but I'm throwing in days where I go way over my maintenance and I'm waiting to see what happens.

You do a great job of keeping track of things so you will definitely find what works for you over the course of a few months. Just keep doing what your doing, you look great thus far.
    (1) this is exactly what I figure.. the hardest part is being patient.. but i've come so far, it would be a pitiful shame blowing my progress without supreme levels of patience. like i mentioned a few posts ago, even though im on elevated cals, hunger is ridiculous. i'm pretty surprised how effective the low fat has been. i remember the first few days on it, i dropped a lot of bloat fast and felt very weird.. it was a big adaptation... but it put in a very lean position pretty quickly. i'm very pleased that i went this route

(2) i agree w/ you. my one prob is that i am so reliant upon cardio right now, its hard to get into the carb cycling groove. once i'm able to drop cardio down to like 10m per day a few times a week rather than like 1400 cals/wk as it is right now, i will be able to settle into a diet platform in which i can pick and choose when i'm flooded w/ nutrients. but right now.... i dont know. i havent before been in a position where ive been moving from a heavy cut to gaining again so carefully. as a result, i do want to keep my input factors as constant as possible while i phase out certain aspects of dieting... hopefully this makes sense.

like i mentioned though, i think the basic carb cycle setup i made is very good. it follows guidelines advised by daniel roberts and some stuff i read over at iron addicts re: recomps... so it is just sidelined for now. how high over maintenance are you going on your refeed days? the concept of a refeed in offseason is interesting as most people are in a surplus pretty much all the time.

Banned
    Checkin' in!

Good deal bro. Unplanned but needed rest always feels great! Good luck with the presses and pulls, I have a good feeling that you'll smoke 'em.
    thanks man. i think youre right! i feel ready to unleash. shoulder/chin is my favorite day... actually i love all of my workout days. i wish i could figure a 7 day routine that wouldnt overtrain me..

Haha awesome. I think my favorite days are probably Deadlift/Dip days.

What is your current training regime?
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    am weight 173.8

rotator warmup w/ bands
    arm circles

standing mili
    barx8
    85x5
    95x5
    110x5
    120x5
    142.5x5
    142.5x7

chins
    bwx10
    bw+25x10
    bw+25x10
    bw+25x9
    bw+25x9 38
    bw+25x8
    bw+25x8 54
    bw+37.5x7
    bw+50x6 67
    bw+62.5x3 70

dips
    bwx20
    bwx20
    bwx12
    meh

db shrugs
    90sx10
    90sx10
    90sx10
    90sx10

100cal stairmaster 85s/m

Banned
    Haha awesome. I think my favorite days are probably Deadlift/Dip days.

What is your current training regime?
    its 5/3/1 4 day setup with triumvirate assistance template... but instead of 5/3/1 on my main lift, i'm doing my own flavor of escalating intermediate 5x5 in increments of 90% of my top set

Outrageous number of sets with the chins, solid weights used throughout man.

Banned
    thanks terry. i hope the volume pays off. ive been trying to get to 50 reps at +25 in as few sets as possible -- ideally I want to get there in 3-4 sets tops then i pyramid up for a triple as heavy as possible.

i talked to julie at bob's belts yesterday or the day before.. she said it will be made probably this weekend and i should have it late next week or early the week thereafter! i'm excited. breaking it in will be a PITA.. but oh well. not like i need a belt for my weak lifts anyway.. but for my top sets, i think it will help me keep form even better. i cant think of any other item that my gym bag could possibly need at this point. i have it all.

am weight, 173.6. diet has been perfect. legs inc

Good stuff man. Perfect diet, what more could you ask for?!

Really solid chins and presses. It's one thing for someone to chin a good amount, but when it's a WBB'er who actually spends time squatting and adding size to his legs, it's even more impressive! I've been thinking about that lately, and how, strictly chinning-wise, we are at a disadvantage due to how much extra weight we are having to pull up relative to our back/bicep strength and size.
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    AM bw 173.6

rotator warmup w/ yellows
    bw lunges
    arm circles

atf olympics
    barx8
    120x5
    140x5
    190x5
    222.5x5
    222.5x5
    245x3 -- extra set to feel it out
    all reps perfectly upright, tight core and stretched.. perfect

db lunges per leg w/ straps
    35sx5
    50sx5
    65sx5
    80sx10
    80sx10 +2 over last week
    i did stop on last set to catch my breath and take 5-10s rest between reps a few times

horiz calf press ss w/ leg ext
    5.5ppsx10 / 240x10
    5.5ppsx10 / 240x10
    5.5ppsx10 / 240x10
    5.5ppsx10 / 240x10
    5.5ppsx10 / 240x10

100 cal stairmaster 85s/m.. maybe 90s/m starting next week

Banned
    fix thanks man. i kinda want to try that warrior challenge... but i dont want to interfere with my normal lifting. i'm pretty sure i can get 25+ dead hang chins when fresh.. situps, i can hit 50 declines no prob.. pushups i can get 40 easy also.. not sure if that challenge is even still going actually

House Lannister
    Jealous of the squats. 80# DBs for lunges is sick too. Any reason you use a DB instead of a barbell?

Banned
    fix thanks man. i kinda want to try that warrior challenge... but i dont want to interfere with my normal lifting. i'm pretty sure i can get 25+ dead hang chins when fresh.. situps, i can hit 50 declines no prob.. pushups i can get 40 easy also.. not sure if that challenge is even still going actually

Banned
    ryan, i find the bb overly burdensome to balance. i prefer dbs