The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 80 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Banned
    thanks scott, i do ok. i have no obligations to anyone or anything but myself.. so im in a position to be selfish i guess.. as far as lifting.. ... i have been way way overdue for a break. then i added all that volume in the end of may and its just too much... im just smoked all over. im dropping deficit deads entirely & skipping benching for a few weeks. starting 5/3/1 will put me at pretty low weights.. so that will be good for recovery

terry, yeah i think it will be interesting to see how that version pans out over another few weeks. i want to see the calorie intake impact against weight movement within the surrounding days. its helpful to see the trend on the graph

my shoulder is iffy.. i guess i might take tomorrow off... i dont know. benching irritates it... but ohp doesnt.. chins dont... this sucks. it will be a game time decision tomorrow morning. i havent felt satiated hunger wise in so long. i want to just drown myself in ground beef, cheese, pasta etc. maybe i could do a refeed on friday. work was so rough today.. bleh.
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-23-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Banned
    im doing ohp and chins. im so stupid and stubborn. 5/3/1 is setup.. no chest work at all next week.. deload next week for the rest

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Lol I'm the same way. Very stubborn. But that's likely one of the traits that positively benefits our training too XD You gonna compensate with some light face pulls today (in addition to the chins)?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    yup. warmup with bands, facepulls and arm circles. its so hard to not train... almost everything i do in the course of the day has something to do with lifting.. from meal timing.. to when i wake up.. to what i eat.. to when i goto bed etc etc etc.

Banned
    am weight: 173.0
    diet: perfect, even though i want to chow until i burst

rotator band warmup
    incl/ facepulls, internal & ext rotation, slow arm circles

standing milis
    85x5
    95x5
    115x5
    125x5
    145x5
    145x5
    good

chins
    bwx10
    bw+25x10
    bw+25x10
    bw+25x9
    bw+37.5x6
    bw+50x5
    bw+62.5x4
    bw+75x3.5
    only half way up on last half rep

dips
    bwx20
    bwx19
    bwx16

db shrugs
    90sx10
    100sx10
    100sx10
    100sx10

100 cal stairmaster 7 min

done. i feel pretty good. i also feel good about planned time off next week. on monday, which is ordinarily bench day, im just going to do lighter than usual rotator work and some very light cardio... like half of my normal intensity up to 100 cal and stretching. same for shoulder day on thurs. dead and squat will be weighted but very light. after that, i start wave 1 of 5/3/1... i hate the first few waves of 5/3/1 because the weights are soo easy. but oh well, its the program that is best suited to my long term goal for this year.

Whole effort rocks from start to finish Tim.

You've got really sweet chinning strength. The 5/3/1 plan sounds good. Hopefully your cuff stays well man!
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    thanks fix, thanks terry. all is good with the shoulder atm. my belt came in the mail!! its awesome. see pic. i went and test drove an m3. its about as i expected. amazing

Nice, whatd that run you?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    about $100 shipped. bobs belts! its so stiff.. its kind of painful to wear. the break-in will not be pleasant
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-24-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Banned
    i must be crazy to want to buy an m3. thinking about the numbers is making me lose sleep ugh. at the dealer they basically offered msrp which is very high based on my internet research.. low balled me on trade too, of course. i need to get the exact option list and come back with a lowball offer of my own. other options include an S4 or S5... S4s are like $30 cheaper msrp and are prob the way to go.
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-25-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Banned
    bw 173.2

warmup
    forgot to do rotator.. very low on sleep. only like 4 hours. excellent workout considering. this is my first belted workout ever. my sides are all torn up and bruised but the added stability is great

atf olympics
    barx8
    125x5
    145x5
    170x5
    205x5
    230x5
    275x6
    230x9
    i have to admit, belts are awesome and really give me that oomph. so what does that mean? weak lower back? not surprising. i found that its much harder to take a deep breath before beginning a rep though

db lunges. straps on 90s
    50sx5
    70sx5
    90sx10
    90sx6
    whew

calf press ss w/ leg ext
    5.5ppsx10/240x10
    5.5ppsx10/240x10
    5.5ppsx10/240x10
    5.5ppsx10/240x10
    5.5ppsx10/240x10

done. no cardio

Hey, I noticed you were thinking about buying an M3. This might be too impractical, but have you thought about a Lotus Elise?

A friend of mine has one and uses it as his daily driver. Its a ridiculously fun car for under 50k (for the naturally aspirated version).

Again, its totally impractical if you need to carry people or things in your car, or if you dive on the highway a lot. But its worth test driving just for fun

By the way, nice workout. Sick lunges...

Good day in the gym, especially with the db lunges.

House Lannister
    You're STILL thinkin' about the M? Haha, you must really want that thing. Personally I don't think the Audi S models hold a candle to the BMW M series. RS4--yes, but that car is way overpriced and overhyped. Plus, you can't beat RWD for fun/handling, although AWD would be more useful back up in the Chi if you ever go back.

The Lotus is a cool car, but I think I'd miss the creature comforts of the M after a while, especially in Chi. Plus, the M is supposed to be faster than the Elise...

Banned
    internet has been down the past day. irritating... if i get something, its going to be an M3 or S5. i would never buy one of those lotus'.. ive driven one.. its a poor man's exotic. its basically a fancy miata. also i cheated yesterday. it was all clean consumption though. i'm only human :P and im kind of amazed ive managed this long. once i started with the cookies i couldnt stop

2 boxes of fat free fig paul newmans (1100 cals/box)
    70g of oatmeal w 35g dex
    normal dinner as well + an extra 1.5oz of cheeze and extra oz of ww pasta

prob looking at an extra 3500 cals there in cookies and oatmeal. gonna try to burn it off today with some misc lifting and cardio after i get my new tires installed on my truck. ill throw up a pic.. im gonna try to put on trail grapplers instead of terras... not sure if theyll fit. TBD. wont really be any updates next week.. 2 deload sessions on tues and fri.. thats all.. just stretching and band ****. not even worth posting it
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-26-2010 at 04:39 AM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    internet has been down the past day. irritating... if i get something, its going to be an M3 or S5. i would never buy one of those lotus'.. ive driven one.. its a poor man's exotic. its basically a fancy miata. also i cheated yesterday. it was all clean consumption though. i'm only human :P and im kind of amazed ive managed this long. once i started with the cookies i couldnt stop

2 boxes of fat free fig paul newmans (1100 cals/box)
    70g of oatmeal w 35g dex
    normal dinner as well + an extra 1.5oz of cheeze and extra oz of ww pasta

prob looking at an extra 3500 cals there in cookies and oatmeal. gonna try to burn it off today with some misc lifting and cardio after i get my new tires installed on my truck. ill throw up a pic.. im gonna try to put on trail grapplers instead of terras... not sure if theyll fit. TBD. wont really be any updates next week.. 2 deload sessions on tues and fri.. thats all.. just stretching and band ****. not even worth posting it
    I'd give it a little more credit than that....it runs 0-60s in the mid to high 4s...

Banned
    my dad actually had an exige s. admittedly the elise and exige are both cool looking but totally pointless and attract too much attention. m3 is far superior and much more subtle, which is great... and m3 is a moot point.. i just got new tires installed which dont rub at all unless im backing up and locked left or right. i am pleased. nitto trail grappler 295/55/20. throwing away my truck which is paid off for $25k in debt and another $25k in depreciation would be insane... maybe when im making enough money that i wouldnt even have to think about the numbers.. then it would be something i can do

House Lannister
    I'll agree that the Lotus Elise attracts too much attention...hate it when cars do that. Tires look good..

like the belt. Where did you get it? I'm in the market for a new one. Did I read that you are starting 5/3/1? I enjoyed that program.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    thanks connor. its from bobsbelts.com.. custom made.. takes about 3-4 weeks.. you can price out what you want on the site. its gonna run about $100 shipped minimum. and thats correct.. starting 5/3/1 in 2 weeks. no upper body stuff next week and im deloading lower body... then based on how i feel.. another light week or maybe just jumping into week 1 wave 1

misc lifting.. just to burn some cals... im pretty much guilt free. bw was 183 last night haha. down to 175 this morning post dump. def looking a little softer than pre cookie fest.. but still better than 99% of the people out there. probably even out at 174 tomorrow or monday... good times. regular eating until i start lifting heavy again... then i'll have a high day once a week as usual also

edit: and so gassy. jeez
    Last edited by f=ma; 06-26-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Nice work with the squatting. I've never even used a belt myself before XD
    Lifting Journal

Wheels/tires look good. I've decided you need a roommate, after my shows ill start packing. Yes I think ill enjoy florida quite well.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    dude come on down. actually just got back from getting it cleaned up. here are some better pics. the tires are sick man.. gotten several compliments thus far and im only like 2-3 hours into ownership haha.

Seriously luv that ride dude.