The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Banned

lifting journal pt. 2

k.. so no more cutting. i am transitioning to an "offseason" diet. i am going to stay sub 10% as long as possible. i want to stay pretty for the summer time. dont know specifically what BF% i am, but its probably about 7-9%. current bw is 176.0lbs down from 230.. goal weight 26 weeks from now is 185lbs to a maximum of 190lbs.

goal lifts by dec 2010
    de 455x1+
    sq 365x1+
    be 315x1+

should be easily doable.. these are substantially my old maxes at 230ish lbs last year.
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-31-2010 at 04:12 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

House Lannister
    No show?

Banned
    no show. its ridiculously out of my league after i did some real research. 2011 will be my year. about to do quads/calves

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    no show. its ridiculously out of my league after i did some real research. 2011 will be my year. about to do quads/calves
    I don't think that's a bad call at all. Have a solid workout.

Wannabebig New Member
    But why you have no show? I hope that it will be the year for you. Good job for that! 2011 is a nice year for us. Good luck.

Banned
    thanks buddy. it actually was a great workout. best PM workout ive had since i started doing them.

squats
    various to
    225x5
    245x5
    275x4 deep, perfect
    225x8,2,2 breathing

db lunges
    various to
    85sx5/5
    100sx4/4

leg ext ss w/ vert calf
    240x10/270x10
    240x10/270x10
    240x10/270x10
    240x10/270x10

CURLZ
    30sx5
    45sx5
    60sx6
    35sx12

done

Banned

House Lannister
    Looking good! (no homo). Is that w/ a post workout pump? Your arms look a lot fuller than they did in your video. Great symmetry and size. Chest definitely looks better too. So how many calories have you eaten already today haha?

Banned
    nah.. i did take a few post workout but they looks like garbage.

cals today were 2175+/-20. im serious, i'm rebounding from this cut very carefully. no way i'll blow it for guilty pleasures. today, work had a giant BBQ feast with cakes and pies etc.. i ate my chicken and pasta w/ 30g of whey.

House Lannister
    nah.. i did take a few post workout but they looks like garbage.

cals today were 2175+/-20. im serious, i'm rebounding from this cut very carefully. no way i'll blow it for guilty pleasures. today, work had a giant BBQ feast with cakes and pies etc.. i ate my chicken and pasta w/ 30g of whey.
    And when your co-workers asked you why you didn't want a slice of cake, you simply pouted your lips, lifted up your shirt, flexed your abs and said, "so I can keep mah abz brah and get all de hotezt beetches." Right? Right?

In all seriousness, way to show some will power. What're you shooting for weight wise per week? 1/2 a pound a week?

Super leg day...good luck with your new goals Tim.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Dang dude, I'm ready to see that strength come back haha. It's weird coming to your journal though with the mindset of an offseason/bulk diet rather than a cutting diet. I'm not used to this yet! It's like a whole new journal now, which I guess is why you made a whole new journal lol.

Nice squatting.

Pic looks good (yes homo)
    thanks fix. yup. the old one is very old... its from 2005 i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    And when your co-workers asked you why you didn't want a slice of cake, you simply pouted your lips, lifted up your shirt, flexed your abs and said, "so I can keep mah abz brah and get all de hotezt beetches." Right? Right?

In all seriousness, way to show some will power. What're you shooting for weight wise per week? 1/2 a pound a week?
    thanks man. goal is just to reach maintenance for now, to see where things are definitively with the changes i plan in cardio, dropping ephedrine, and response to nutrients. im adding lean red meat back into the diet for my PM meal. next on the agenda today is to setup 5/3/1 or 5x5.. then bump things very slowly as i exhaust my current cal setup
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Super leg day...good luck with your new goals Tim.
    thank you terry, i hope they turn out well. i'm going to be very careful

------------------------------------------------

took me a few hours but i just finished the setup for my diet specifics. just need to decide if i want to do 5/3/1 or do 5x5... i really like both. i spent about 5 hours this morning cleaning my old apartment. i couldnt finish in time so i need to pay another weeks rent there. not terribly expensive but still, thats money i could have not spent. meh.

diet is screwy so far today as i was cleaning all morning.. lots of scrubbing etc. it will end fine though. need to go grocery shop now. i hope its not a cluster in the parking lot.. i need a bunch of stuff so im driving rather than taking my bike.

15m stairmaster intervals, 200 cals
    bw 175.0
    abs
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-29-2010 at 02:12 PM.

House Lannister
    thanks fix. yup. the old one is very old... its from 2005 i think.

thanks man. goal is just to reach maintenance for now, to see where things are definitively with the changes i plan in cardio, dropping ephedrine, and response to nutrients. im adding lean red meat back into the diet for my PM meal. next on the agenda today is to setup 5/3/1 or 5x5.. then bump things very slowly as i exhaust my current cal setup

thank you terry, i hope they turn out well. i'm going to be very careful

------------------------------------------------

took me a few hours but i just finished the setup for my diet specifics. just need to decide if i want to do 5/3/1 or do 5x5... i really like both. i spent about 5 hours this morning cleaning my old apartment. i couldnt finish in time so i need to pay another weeks rent there. not terribly expensive but still, thats money i could have not spent. meh.

diet is screwy so far today as i was cleaning all morning.. lots of scrubbing etc. it will end fine though. need to go grocery shop now. i hope its not a cluster in the parking lot.. i need a bunch of stuff so im driving rather than taking my bike.

15m stairmaster intervals, 200 cals
    bw 175.0
    abs
    I'm curious to see what you choose also. 5-3-1 looked interesting, but I don't think i was advanced enough for it. YOU may be however. What about HCT-12? You could set up a progression scheme on it and only auto-regulate when you're really wiped out. What I don't like about HCT is how they recommend NOT to deadlift and squat in the same cycle.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Dang dude, I'm ready to see that strength come back haha. It's weird coming to your journal though with the mindset of an offseason/bulk diet rather than a cutting diet. I'm not used to this yet! It's like a whole new journal now, which I guess is why you made a whole new journal lol.

Nice squatting.

Pic looks good (yes homo)
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    yknow I actually plan on spending tonight figuring that out. i have absolutely nothing to do sadly. i prefer routines that are low volume but higher frequency.

i find the HCT training routine to be overly complicated. i vastly prefer simplicity.. i'm not even close to maxing linear gains so why get fancy imo.

---------------------

edit: i am doing my 5x5 hybrid. i really love 5x5 but i want a 4 day routine. i can post up the template for anyone who cares to take a peak.
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-29-2010 at 05:31 PM.

House Lannister
    yknow I actually plan on spending tonight figuring that out. i have absolutely nothing to do sadly. i prefer routines that are low volume but higher frequency.

i find the HCT training routine to be overly complicated. i vastly prefer simplicity.. i'm not even close to maxing linear gains so why get fancy imo.

---------------------

edit: i am doing my 5x5 hybrid. i really love 5x5 but i want a 4 day routine. i can post up the template for anyone who cares to take a peak.
    Same here. I could prolly do something if I wanted to, but I'd like to get a lot of stuff around the house done that I've been puttin off.

I really don't think HCT is THAT complex once you first set it up, but I do think that the auto-regulation deal is a little...meh. Idk, I just see the autoreg as a way to not push yourself. I like getting psyched up to hit a heavier weight or rep each session, and I think a lot of people would simply use auto-reg as an excuse to slack off.

I'd be interested to see that 5x5 hybrid. How do you break down 5x5 for 4 days a week?

Banned
    attached. plus i also want to dead and squat every week. also -- its not like I am expert. i consider myself an intermediate lifter. i want to get a belt also.. but i dont know that i need one. when to get a belt has always been a subject in debate for me. if i do, im going to get a bobs belt. those things are sweet.

in that template, i am being conservative with my 5rm numbers because i need extra time to adapt from my calorie levels.

the planned time frame is 10lbs over 26 weeks. within the template, i dropped my current lifts a bit in calculating current 5RMs to giive myself an extra 2 weeks or so to ramp up to my 5rm; that way I will not burn out as fast while i acclimate to new cal levels. im hoping to make it to week 10 without missing a lift... maybe deload, drop back a week and push through to week 15, repeat and hopefully to week 20. at that point, i will be in late november.. and im giving myself an additional 4 week buffer for unforseen set backs or deloads as necessary... maybe do a mini cut to make 181s.. do a PL meet.. see how things are from there

the BF estimate is 7.5% right now. that pegs me at 13.13lbs of fat currently. i am hoping for a 50/50 muscle/fat split in these 10lbs. hopefully it will be more favorable... but who knows. if i gain 5 fat, 5 lean mass, i would be 9.25% or so BF, which is totally acceptable. if i can get my strength that high again and stay sub 10%
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-29-2010 at 06:13 PM.

House Lannister
    attached. plus i also want to dead and squat every week. also -- its not like I am expert. i consider myself an intermediate lifter. i want to get a belt also.. but i dont know that i need one. when to get a belt has always been a subject in debate for me. if i do, im going to get a bobs belt. those things are sweet.

in that template, i am being conservative with my 5rm numbers because i need extra time to adapt from my calorie levels.

the planned time frame is 10lbs over 26 weeks. within the template, i dropped my current lifts a bit in calculating current 5RMs to giive myself an extra 2 weeks or so to ramp up to my 5rm; that way I will not burn out as fast while i acclimate to new cal levels. im hoping to make it to week 10 without missing a lift... maybe deload, drop back a week and push through to week 15, repeat and hopefully to week 20. at that point, i will be in late november.. and im giving myself an additional 4 week buffer for unforseen set backs or deloads as necessary... maybe do a mini cut to make 181s.. do a PL meet.. see how things are from there

the BF estimate is 7.5% right now. that pegs me at 13.13lbs of fat currently. i am hoping for a 50/50 muscle/fat split in these 10lbs. hopefully it will be more favorable... but who knows. if i gain 5 fat, 5 lean mass, i would be 9.25% or so BF, which is totally acceptable. if i can get my strength that high again and stay sub 10%

A third a pound a week, huh? Well, it sure is slow and steady and that'll prolly help with lean gains.

Banned
    yup.. as slow as possible. legs are so sore from squats/lunges on friday. im very lethargic from dropping the ephedrine and caffeine. caffeine will still be taken on lifting days but the ephedrine is finito

30m cardio, intervals
    bw 175.8
    stretching

edit: another 200 cals of SS cardio for today
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-30-2010 at 02:55 PM.

House Lannister
    yup.. as slow as possible. legs are so sore from squats/lunges on friday. im very lethargic from dropping the ephedrine and caffeine. caffeine will still be taken on lifting days but the ephedrine is finito

30m cardio, intervals
    bw 175.8
    stretching

edit: another 200 cals of SS cardio for today
    Do you always do intervals when bulking?

Template looks really good. I'm really interested in going all out on a 5x5 routine in the future, I like it quite a bit. Good luck with everything Tim, I know you'll go all out in whatever it is you're doing.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Do you always do intervals when bulking?
    well.. based on some reading I've been doing, HIIT will increase hormone levels for 12-24 hours. if compensated with additional cals, HIIT may be able to help partition weight gain more favorably. now in light of this, I am dropping my total cardio back to three 400 cal sessions and four 100 cal sessions each week (whereas I was doing seven 400 cal sessions per week previously). I think I will continue this for the duration of this phase. the 100cal sessions will be SS and medium intensity falling upon lifting days.. whereas the HIIT days fall on rest days. the thing I'm not sure of is how it will work out due to planned carb intake. and truthfully, i have no idea how it will work... ive never done it before. for all I know, it will impair my progress... but

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Template looks really good. I'm really interested in going all out on a 5x5 routine in the future, I like it quite a bit. Good luck with everything Tim, I know you'll go all out in whatever it is you're doing.
    thank you mark. i decided to add 1 more work set. the original 5x5 has the heavy/light/medium days... i am not sure if just 2 work sets (eventually the top 2 sets in 5x5 become work sets) will be enough tension for strength progression... so I'm inclined to add another work set. im starting real low... I may even bump things up 10lbs or so. i'm only slotted for 195x5x2 today... i feel like i should be able to get like 225x5x2 right now... but i dont want to start too high and get burnt out too quickly. meh

-----------------

bw 175.8

diet notes: i went to a cookout yesterday. my splurge was 3 burgers w/o buns. 2 of them had 1 slice of american on there. diet for the rest of the day was perfect. i suspect my total splurge was about 400-500 cals above targeted cals for the day. this will prob be the extent of my cheating so this is good, I am pleased all things considered. im expecting a few lbs over the next week or so from glycogen stores refilling.. has nothing to do with real weight gain.. so while this bothers me psychologically, its expected. im treating the next 10-15 weeks almost as a precontest diet.. will all be precise. i have nothing better to do anyway so why not make it perfect. goal weight gain is about 1/4lb-1/3lb per week.

other notes: other non-specific goals of this is to reduce the amount of arch i use while benching. having a long torso, i can get BIG arch... this is no good for mass imo as it is a reduction of ROM. so the plan is to tuck my shoulders w/ minimal arch for purely stability. lastly, i bought a black/blue/black single prong 4" belt. 3-6 weeks for delivery i had no idea it would take so long or i would have ordered before.
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-31-2010 at 04:31 AM.

Banned
    bb bench, feet on bench, shoulders tucked, suicide
    warm up
    115x5
    135x5
    150x5
    175x5
    205x5
    205x5
    harder than expected. rest paused........ i hope i didnt screw myself by starting too high.

db row per arm
    45x10
    60x10
    75x10
    105x10
    105x10
    105x10
    105x10/6,2,1,1 L/R

bb bench same style as above ex/ thumbs wrapped
    155x10
    155x10
    155x10
    155x9

db curls per arm
    30x10
    45x10
    45x10
    45x10

10m/100cals stairmaster MISS

once again.. primary bench movement was harder than expected. i probably could have started at 225 but that would have been my real 5rm right now and 3 weeks from now i would stall. gotta be patient... first set was easy, i did strain a bit on the second top set. with the higher cals and less cardio, i hope next week will be a nice surprise.

AM bw 175.8, same as yesterday. so far transition is perfect. tomorrow, back to the 5am workouts.

House Lannister
    bb bench, feet on bench, shoulders tucked, suicide
    warm up
    115x5
    135x5
    150x5
    175x5
    205x5
    205x5
    harder than expected. rest paused........ i hope i didnt screw myself by starting too high.

db row per arm
    45x10
    60x10
    75x10
    105x10
    105x10
    105x10
    105x10/6,2,1,1 L/R

bb bench same style as above ex/ thumbs wrapped
    155x10
    155x10
    155x10
    155x9

db curls per arm
    30x10
    45x10
    45x10
    45x10

10m/100cals stairmaster MISS

once again.. primary bench movement was harder than expected. i probably could have started at 225 but that would have been my real 5rm right now and 3 weeks from now i would stall. gotta be patient... first set was easy, i did strain a bit on the second top set. with the higher cals and less cardio, i hope next week will be a nice surprise.

AM bw 175.8, same as yesterday. so far transition is perfect. tomorrow, back to the 5am workouts.
    VERY interesting 5x5 template. What's the methodology for the 100 chins vs a few sets of weighted chins? I'm surprised you have db lunges as an "assistance" exercise haha, that would definitely be a primary movement in a routine of mine, those drain me haha. Otherwise very interesting stuff. I like how you set it up as a 4 day routine, separating each big movement. Good stuff. Solid workout too.

Banned
    ryan, thats 100 reps of weighted chins in as few sets as possible. initially im going to try to break it down into sets of 10. i will probably fade hard around 70 initially

i redid my diet to get rid of a lot of dextrose and add a lot more oatmeal. im also going to look into some dried fruit. imo.. my setup was great before.. but now it is pretty much perfect at the current target calorie levels.