The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Banned

Left shoulder stronger than right shoulder

Ok, so I'm 16 years old, and I've been lifting for 8 months now.
    Just this week I've started using the 80 lbs dumbbells on the dumbbell shoulder press, as the 70s are too easy.
    My problem is that I can now shoulder press an 80 lbs dumbbell for 3 reps with my left arm, but only for 1 rep with my right arm. I find this odd, because I'm right-handed, so if anything, I should be pressing more with my right arm.
    Looking forward on receiving helpful advice from you guys on how to fix this problem.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lift more. They'll even out. Good weight by the way.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Banned
    Thanks man! I've been working real hard at lifting, ever sice I started 8 months ago.

As mentioned, it will even out over time. Do what your weaker arm allows for now, and use the barbell press to progress.

Banned
    Thanks fr the help and advice guys.
    This problem put aside, do you think shoulder pressing 80 lbs dumbbells is decent progression for 8 months of lifting (at age 16)?
    Last edited by dsb; 05-29-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsb View Post
    do you think shoulder pressing 80 lbs dumbbells is decent progression for 8 months of lifting (at age 16)?
    Yes, it's a nice lift. All progress is good and you should be proud of every pound you add to the lift.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Thanks man. It's definitely good to have knowledgeable people like you guys giving great advice to the newer lifters like me.
    My goal within the next 1.5-2 months (as far as shoulders go) is to be able to shoulder press the 90 lbs dumbbells for at least 1 rep. Shouldn't be too far off.

I'm kind of confused why people are telling to use BB press? Won't that make your left arm push harder than your right (in this case)? Or am i wrong?
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Wannabebig New Member
    The stronger arm may be able to compensate slightly for the weaker, but unless you had some mighty powerful wrists, it wouldn't make a big difference, unlike on machines or something where the weight can be pressed with one arm if it's light enough. With a barbell one side would simply fail and the lift wouldn't happen.

I have the same problem! I thought dumbells would even things out, but i don't really know..at least for pecs they don't seem too..

Now since a few days i have a friend of mine training with me, and as he was spotting me (during DB presses & flyes), he noticed my one arm has a wider range of motion than the other..i think it was my good arm that kinda makes a curve or something whilst going up and my left arm goes straight up and down..during flyes my left arm gets a cm or two or something lower than my right..

Now i don't have perfect knowledge of the human body, so my guess was that it has to do with my shoulders and maybe one being different than the other..so i suppose you can't fix that..unless you guys think it's something else?
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Banned
    I have the same problem! I thought dumbells would even things out, but i don't really know..at least for pecs they don't seem too..

Now since a few days i have a friend of mine training with me, and as he was spotting me (during DB presses & flyes), he noticed my one arm has a wider range of motion than the other..i think it was my good arm that kinda makes a curve or something whilst going up and my left arm goes straight up and down..during flyes my left arm gets a cm or two or something lower than my right..

Now i don't have perfect knowledge of the human body, so my guess was that it has to do with my shoulders and maybe one being different than the other..so i suppose you can't fix that..unless you guys think it's something else?
    I just saw your post for the first time. I don't have a perfet knowledge either, as I haven't been lifting for long, but I think that if you haven't been lifting for very long either, your right arm might be a little stronger than your left one. My best advice for you would be to keep lifting, and eventually your left arm will catch up with your right arm. If your right arm is a bit stronger than your left one at dumbbell bench press (I'm assuming that's what you meant by dumbbell press), I think it's actually your right pec, not shoulder, which is stronger than your left pec. The reason I believe this is that, although my left arm is stronger than my right one on shoulder press
    (80s for 3 left arm, 80s for 1 rep right arm), on flat DB bench press, my arms are equal: I can bench 100 lbs dumbbells for 7 reps with both arms.

Banned
    I also have another question concerning this exercise (dumbbell shoulder press): is it ok to keep your elbows tucked in a little (not much, just a little) as opposed to flaring them out? Because I keep my elbows slightly tucked in, that is, slightly to the front, and not completely to the sides, because it feels more natural for me, and feels better on my shoulders. When I bring the dumbbells down (I use full ROM), the dumbbells touch the front part of my shoulders mostly, and slightly the middle deltoid part. I know that the more you bring your elbows in, the more the anterior deltoids are involved, but is it ok to slightly bring the elbows in?

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Lift more. They'll even out. Good weight by the way.
    This is correct. I will also add to try some BB OHP also! It will even out.
    Last edited by Off Road; 05-28-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!