The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Started Bill Starr 5x5

Well I tryed it for the first time a few days ago (had my second workout today) and im really liking it so far. One thing that I think im doing differently in this routine than is others is doing everything slowly. Theres only 5 reps, im going to get the most out of each one. My squats are alot slower than before (to make sure my technique is right and so I feel the contractions everywhere in my legs), My weighted situps are also slower.

I feel that this is the kind of routine that you dont notice yourself getting stronger. After 2 monthes ill probably look at my body and numbers and be like holy **** lol.

It goes up to 9 weeks, but of course I can do it longer. Will I still see massive results after the 9 weeks? Because after I get big I want to cut down for the summer (about 10% bf). Should I change routines for the cut or keep this one?

Perhaps using this routine while cutting will force my body to recruit more muscle fibers? Just a thought

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

as long as your diet is in check you're lifting hard and getting enough rest, everything is possible.. I did 5x5 during my cut. man, did I get my ass whooped. Good Luck
    [SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"]Maintaining/Conditioning
    5'5 146 lbs
    progress pics
    Bench press 315 x 1 Dec. 05 Squat 295 x 1 Dec. 05 Dead Lift405 x 1 Dec 05
    Bench press 325 x 1 Jul. 09 Squat 435 x 1 Jul. 09 Dead Lift 480 x1 July 09
    "No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?"
    "Beef is my favorite animal." -CiteCollegiale

Banned
    Are you doing everything slowly on purpose, or is it because the weight is high? If it's on purpose, put more iron on the bar. Remember that its 25 reps total, so it's not like you're going easy or anything

:withstupi

I have been doing the 5 x 5 for 2 weeks now (although I have gone through 9 sessions in that time) and I don't find the exercises to be easy enough to purposly attempt a slower than normal movement. Maybe the first or second set but not after that. Ussually by my 3rd set I am wondering how I am gonna make it though the next 2 weight increases.

Ehh... I don't know about that, RPT. I wouldn't put more weight on the bar just yet. With the Bill Starr routine, the first 3-4 weeks will be fairly easy, because you haven't even gotten to your current PR's yet. It's after that that things start to get tough and intense. That's how it's designed. If you start off close to or at your PR's, you're not going to see much or any progress.

So your saying I should just stick with it for now and see how I do?

FWIW, this routine was never intended to have anything to do with strictly 9 weeks, it was that thats only as far as the template went. I take it you didnt read the entire article?

Quote Originally Posted by slither View Post
    FWIW, this routine was never intended to have anything to do with strictly 9 weeks, it was that thats only as far as the template went. I take it you didnt read the entire article?
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    It goes up to 9 weeks, but of course I can do it longer.
    I take it you didn't read the entire post.

He knows it isn't just 9 weeks.

But yeah, I would follow it pretty much exactly how the template sets it up. You may feel like you can do more right now, and you probably can, but you'll suffer later on.
    Last edited by Tofer; 12-16-2006 at 06:15 PM.

Theres a section in there that says ATTENTION: read this and dont be a dumbass'

well, not exactly, but just read the entirer thing and understand this perfecty, this is one kick ass simple program.

DO NOT **** WITH IT.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I did read the article. I just wanted to know what you guys think.
    And yes im following the template.