The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Knees going together when squatting

Sometimes when I squat my knees get pushed closer together. It doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable or anything, I'm just wondering if this is ok?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not ok. Force your knees away from each other so they stay directly over your toes. Before you start your warm up sets, squat down to the bottom position of the range of motion, pause there for a few moments and concentrate on pushing your knees outward. Use your elbows and press on the inside of your knees to emphasize this feeling.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    It happens to a lot of lifters. You need to do as Phenom said and focus on pushing your knees out. It will feel unusual at first because you'll have to make a conscious effort to keep them out but over time your knees will stop swaying inside.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Sometimes when I squat my knees get pushed closer together. It doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable or anything, I'm just wondering if this is ok?
    As Phenom mentioned this is something that you want to correct as soon as possible.

In some cases it could be a flexibility issue that is causing your knees to buckle inward. What I would recommend is stretching, pointing your toes outward slightly, and perhaps using a shoe with an elevated heel or at least one with a flat/stable sole. Make a concious effort to keep your knees pushed outward - this will provide you with greater strength/size gains and more importantly will help you to avoid injury.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I've never had a problem with that personally but I did have a few workout buddies who, on the way up during squatting, would bring their knees close together.

They fixed it by doing what they said above: making a concious effort and keeping it in your mind during the squat.

They also didn't point their toes out much, which seemed to help a lot when they pointed their toes about 45*. When their knees went in they'd be at like a 15* point.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    You have week adductors. Split the floor. Imagine you're trying to split the floor in half between your legs.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 06-01-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Isn't that bad for your inner ligaments in your knees as well?
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

I didn't really understand the concept of spreading your knees when squatting until I started training at an O-lifting gym. Not only do you want to focus pushing your knees out, which is a good cue, but also outwardly rotating your hips on the way down. And on the way up, I like to think of pushing my hips through, rather than just pushing up. Here's a good article that describes the hip rotation. It will help your form, strength and depth.

http://www.gymriki.com/wp-content/up..._activehip.pdf
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I had the same problem when I started squatting, and also did more of a good morning sometimes than a squat. I did some flexibility work and focused on pushing my knees out, but what really helped was just squatting more and getting stronger. Once I was getting to weights that were too heavy, those weaknesses were popping up so I deloaded a little and worked through them again.

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Isn't that bad for your inner ligaments in your knees as well?
    They're certainly doing work holding your knee together, as when the knees come in the quads are going to pull on their insertion points at some funny angles, creating twisting forces on the knee.

Thanks all. I won't up the weight next session and will make sure I keep my knees out

Wannabebig Member
    Only if you are a high-level hockey goalie and you have freakish bowed in knees can you squat like that and not cause injury to your knees.

Wannabebig Member
    I had the same problem and still have to really concentrate on keeping my knees out and not rolling my ankles. I found in my case the problem was caused by two things: (i) lack of muscle development in the ass area, don't know what it's called; and (ii) flexibility. Here's what seems to work for me, most of which has been mentioned above:

- get rid of the running shoes if you use them, the absorbant heel makes rolling easier.

- stretch (get down into the proper squat position and use your elbows to keep the knees out), I actually started streching as much as I could at all sorts of times. Single biggest difference in my squat depth.

- use a roller on: IT Band, hips and quads

- warm-up and concentrate on keeping your knees out

- for the first warm-up sets (no bar or bar only w/ no weights) I used a loop of elastic around both knees. It forces you to activate and develop the muscles in your ass to hold those knees out.

- wider stance, with toes pointing a bit more outward.

- really really concentrating in it while lifting.

YMMV, but I hope this helps.

Sorry I was slow to reply to this but...along with what ThomasG said -

"If your knees are collapsing on squats, you really need to focus on developing your thigh abductors, especially the glute medius and minimus." - Mike Robertson

Try one of those abductor machines and adductor machines for a few weeks and you'll notice your knees will stop coming in.