The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Losing mass around my core whilst building

Hi Guys

So im trying to build at the moment, but im fearing that im not eating enough. This is where you come in with your opinions. Heres the back story:

So ive recently started full time work 9-5. I prepare all my meals for work, lunches, dinner and shakes etc. However ive noticed by stomach has been shrinking and im not sure as to why.

Ive recently started an ab routine, i prevously never did abs (yer i no slack ass). Could this be a reason for looking trimmer? I dont think my arms have shrunk at all, even hit a pb on the bench last night.

Could it be because im eating more meals due to being up earlier, and having more smaller meals?

Ive been doing a calorie count with my food and im getting atleast 3000+ calories daily, sometimes even more. I know the theory of 'Your cant lose fat whilst gain msucle', but thats what it looks like is happening with my core.

I didnt post this in nutrition because im not 100% if it is my diet, but more my scheduling and workouts. Ive started taken gym pretty seriously lately and id hate to find otu that its my nutirtion that is slowing me down, rather than working the abs.

Help would be greatly appreciated as this is frustrating me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you are building muscle at a decent rate while losing some fat, don't you think that is a good thing? You could always bump up the calories if you aren't liking the results, or if you are struggling to put on muscle mass.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    To an extent I have gained muscle while losing fat over several months now. I don't expect to go on being able to keep it up much longer, but it is very possible to do both at the same time especially when first starting out with weight training, or if you have a large excess of body fat.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-03-2010 at 01:50 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

from my experience, when i ate fewer but Larger meals i looked / felt bloated all of the time. there for making me look like i have a bigger stomach.

but when i ate 6 medium to small meals im not bloated all of the time and it makes the stomach look smaller.

how much you eat and how you spread out your meals throughout the day has a big effect on how bloated you look or not
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    from my experience, when i ate fewer but Larger meals i looked / felt bloated all of the time. there for making me look like i have a bigger stomach.

but when i ate 6 medium to small meals im not bloated all of the time and it makes the stomach look smaller.

how much you eat and how you spread out your meals throughout the day has a big effect on how bloated you look or not
    I was thinking this could be it. Previously when i would wake around 9.30 and have my first meal, now by then ive had at least 2.

Counting shakes and snacks, im having 7 or so lighter meals per day during weekdays. Im still having the same amount of calories as previous, perhaps a slight increase.

Like i said i havent faded in terms of lifting ability, even hitting some BPs. I guess i was just getting frantic because i want to build muscle the correct way, and would be greatly disappointed if i was in the gym working hard but i wasnt eating enough. Was more me just putting feelers out there to see if this has happened to others.

i understand what youre going through. i went through the same thing.

you'll know if you arent eating when the scale doesnt move any more and your lifts stop going up. of course there could be more things involved than not eating enough but that has alot to do with it. just keep on top of your eating and you'll be fine
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    i understand what youre going through. i went through the same thing.

you'll know if you arent eating when the scale doesnt move any more and your lifts stop going up. of course there could be more things involved than not eating enough but that has alot to do with it. just keep on top of your eating and you'll be fine
    Yer i did thsis last night at the gym. Dont usually gauge my weight via a scale but i have put on 1.5 kgs since last time,maybe a month ago so i dont think its cos im eating at a calorie defecit.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    I think you need to get a bit more scientific about things... weigh yourself once weekly upon rising (Monday morning), get your bodyfat tested in accurately as possible (even one of those bioimpedence scales might be a good investment), at the very least get a skinfold or a pressure-sensitive measuring tape, weigh out and keep track of your meals. It just sounds like the multiple meals are revving up your metabolism which should actually be an ideal situation.
    Last edited by Steve Colescott; 06-04-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ataglance View Post
    Hi

Could it be because im eating more meals due to being up earlier, and having more smaller meals?

As long as you are progressing you are on the right track.

As for your results it's not because you are eating more meals. That's a myth. Studies that have been done on this show no difference.

Here are a couple of sites. True they are not scholarly sites but the references they list are.

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008...ur-metabolism/

http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7755

As to why you are losing fat...you mentioned above that you have recently started a full time job. Is this a manual or desk job? If the former probably due to increased caloric expenditure.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post

As for your results it's not because you are eating more meals. That's a myth. Studies that have been done on this show no difference.

Here are a couple of sites. True they are not scholarly sites but the references they list are.

As to why you are losing fat...you mentioned above that you have recently started a full time job. Is this a manual or desk job? If the former probably due to increased caloric expenditure.

No, its a desk job aswell. Sit oon my ass all day. Thats why i was thrown abit also because i knew i wasnt burning any extra calories typing ona keyboard.

I don't seem to see what the problem here is.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post

im sure alot of it is having to do with him being bloated. i know at least if i eat 3 huge meals a day im going to walk around bloated for 2 hours after every meal. which would appear to make your waist larger rather than eating smaller meals more frequent and not feeling bloated all of the time.
    Last edited by tcooper; 06-04-2010 at 04:13 AM.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Abs rock!!

U want them!!!!
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke1081 View Post
    Abs rock!!

U want them!!!!
    Yes sir i do. As to why is this thread was created? Wasnt a bad thing at all. Was just doubting myself and didnt think i could get t this stage, so it was more i was seeking guidance from you guys to see if it was possible. Motivation if you will.