Thread: Why is this?

Banned

Why is this?

Why is it, that if you browse the average internet messageboard "what yoo bench bros?" thread, you'll see alot of 160 pound people claiming they bench over 200+? But when I put a buddy on my bench downstairs, they are lucky to do 135 once?

its called lying....
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Mostly lying, but obviously surveying kids on a messageboard relating to weightlifting is far from a random sample.

160lbs benching 200 isn't exactly tough to do. 300 lbs @ 160 on the other hand is pretty tough, though not impossible.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Banned
    These are videogame forums, car forums etc I speak of. And if benching 200@160 pounds isn't hard, why can only 10% of the population bench 175 and over

Because half of the population are girls.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Because half of the population are girls.
    hahah good point! add in the senior citizens and youth to that too

Banned
    Average man, 20-29, benches 135 as their max.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    160lbs benching 200 isn't exactly tough to do. 300 lbs @ 160 on the other hand is pretty tough, though not impossible.
    This.

Banned
    I sincerely doubt the average guy benches 22 pounds over their body weight, or close to that. I might be the only guy I personally know that I'm sure can bench over their bodyweight. I remember HS weightlifting class, when everyone was impressed with that 300 pound whale football captain benchign 2 plates

Sounds like you don't know very many strong people.

this is useless........
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Wannabebig Member
    How long has your buddy been working out? Obviously it depends on how long a person has been working out and how consistently, As well as the type of training they have been doing. I have been working out regularly 4 to 5 times a week with weights. I currently weigh 160-162 lbs and a couple of weeks ago I did 260 for a 1 rep max on bench. There are a lot of guys at my gym that can easily bench more than their bodyweight.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    It's called skewed responses. The guy on a random message board who knows he can bench a semi-decent amount (200 @ 160) is likely to reply to that kind of thread, whereas the guy who hardly ever works out (if at all) isn't likely to respond, giving you the impression that the "average person" should be benching at least 1.25x their weight. It's the same concept as average package size surveys. The guys who know they have a bit of size down there are going to be happy to respond, whereas the guys insecure about their manhood aren't as likely to respond. Or they'll just lie and add 3 inches to their measured size.

There's also the shortened RoM of people's perspective maxes (similar to the measuring technique of perspective weewee sizes).

And no it really isn't that hard. I worked out like 5 years ago in high school for a year or so, and starting back up this year after just a couple of months my 1RM bench was already @ about 200, and I am weighing in at about 158. So, no, not very hard to do.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.