The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Question about my training program

I had some questions about the training program I am currently on. To give you some background I am 33 years old and have trained in the martial arts in the past. My bodystyle used to be ectomorphic, I could never gain any weight when I was younger no matter how much I ate. Now that I am in my 30s I am noticing that I am able to gain weight a lot easier than I used to. When I was younger I maintained at about 145 and now I maintain at about 185. I started my workout program light because I cannot afford to get hurt in the gym and lose time from work, have a family to feed. Plus I haven't worked out for years so I figured I should take it easy at first.

I have been working out for a little over a month now. My goal is to hit 200-205 lbs. My training centers around a 3 day a week program M-W-F.

On Mondays I do my squat routine 4-5 sets at 5 to 6 reps. When I started squatting a month ago I could only d0 90 lbs for the above sets and reps (yea weak I know, but never squatted in my life before). I am currently squatting 175 for the above sets and reps. I always start with lighter weights for warmup and then work up to my max for the day.

I also do supporting excercises for squats to include leg extensions and back excercises and rows.

On Wednesdays I work my chest on the bench. I started at 100 lbs for 5 sets 5-8 reps. Currently I am pushing 140lbs for the same reps and sets. I do the supporting excercises for my bench on that day as well such as chest flys, tris, pullovers, hammer curls, and concentration curls, I also work my traps, and forearms on that day.

On Fridays I do deadlifts. My deads started at about 100 lbs for 5 sets of 5-8 reps and I am currently deadlifting 160 lbs for the same reps and sets. I do my supporting excercises on that day as well.

I always do my compound excercises before I do any isolation excercises. My cardio is kept to minimum just to warm my muscles up before I hit the weights. I always stretch before I work out.

Post workout I supplement with creatine and protein. My diet is high in protein and I balance it off with carbs. I drink huge amounts of water on a daily basis.

I feel pretty good after a month and I apparently have gotten a lot stronger (I never thought I could ever dead 160 lbs, surprised myself. I have been religious about going to the gym and I keep my training sessions to about 1 hour. I get at least 8 hours of sleep per night and I believe my current program gives my muscles adequate time to rest before I hit the gym again. I do not have a training partner so this is all self motivation.

Now for my question, I understand that I may not be giving you my entire workout program, but my workouts are centered around my compound lifts so I can build some mass and strenght before attempting to really isolate and tone. Can anyone recommend any improvements or suggest something else that I could be doing or that I should not be doing? I am pretty new to this as I have never weightlifted before. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My bodystyle used to be ectomorphic, but I think I am ecto-meso now due to my ability to gain weight easier than I used to.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Over all it looks like a good plan. Run it for several more months, continue to get stronger, and see how it works for you in the long run.

One suggestion I'd make is to move your trap work to your deadlift day since it will already be working your traps.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member

Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Over all it looks like a good plan. Run it for several more months, continue to get stronger, and see how it works for you in the long run.

One suggestion I'd make is to move your trap work to your deadlift day since it will already be working your traps.
    I will try that, I find that squats and deads take a lot out of me and I need more recovery time than my bench day. But if that will work the traps better I will hit em that day. Thanks for the input.

Wannabebig Member
    I think most people here would advise that you avoid leg extensions as well. They can do more harm than good, and have little bearing on practical strength.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I think most people here would advise that you avoid leg extensions as well. They can do more harm than good, and have little bearing on practical strength.
    That will work, one less excercise for me to do. I will give that a try and see how it works, I mainly do them with light weight to keep my leg muscles stretched out and warmed up to prevent injuries, but if they can cause injuries then I will skip them.

I see a bunch of exercises that can be skipped because they won't do a lot beyond what the big compound movements will already do. But as I get older and more tolerant, I've come to realize that people have to enjoy what they do. If it's not excessive, then why not?

Now if you come back in a few months and tell us that you aren't progressing, those little isolation exercises are the first thing I'd tell you to get rid of
    Last edited by Off Road; 06-03-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I see a bunch of exercises that can be skipped because they won't do a lot beyond what the big compound movements will already do. But as I get older and more tolerant, I've come to realize that people have to enjoy what they do. If it's not excessive, then why not?

Now if you come back in a few months and tell us that you aren't progressing, those little isolation exercises are the first thing I'd tell you to get rid of
    Well I look at it this way, why waste my time with isolation excercises when I can do more with a compound excercise? It just doesn't make good sense to me to approach it from the isolation standpoint. I prefere being able to keep my workouts down to an hour, it keeps me excited about going to the gym, any longer than that and it isnt any fun anymore it becomes work lol.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Congratulations on the great progress you have made so far. You have been consistent and made it a part of your routine, which is a place where a lot of people falter. I echo the idea of ditching the isolation movements, with possible exceptions being a couple sets of curls, triceps extensions or calf raises. I think most people (especially starting out) would be well served to go to the gym with three to five exercises to do. Less is more, especially where focus and strength progression is concerned. Good luck and keep at it.

Don't get me wrong, the guys that know me understand that I am very anti-isolation. If guys come on here asking why they can't gain or what is the best way to gain, then I'm the first to tell them to stick to the basics. I'm just saying there are times that you let a few isolation exercises slide because people like to think they are doing it like the pros. A few sets of shrugs, leg extensions, and bicep curls isn't going to throw them into over training and if it keeps them excited about training...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member

Thanks

Thanks again for the helpful replies. Just wanted to give you guys a little update and brag a little hah.

Today was my deadlift day, I increased my lift from 165x4x5 reps to 175 x4x5 reps.
    I felt really good afters my DLs so I decided to hit the squats after just to see what I could do. Well I surprised myself I put up 195 for three sets of 5. 20 lbs improvement from last week.

My goal is to get all my lifts up to at least my bodyweight which is188ish. I am assuming this is a good goal?

After that I plan to get my lifts up to 1.25x my bodyweight which is 235. I then plan to switch to the same amount of sets but go to 8-10 reps to build a little more mass. Are these goals acceptable and attainable?

I am very happy with my strength gains, but I am a little disapointed that I have not seen any gains in mass that I can tell? I plan to keep working at it but is there something I am missing or do I just need to give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie8306 View Post
    Thanks again for the helpful replies. Just wanted to give you guys a little update and brag a little hah.

Today was my deadlift day, I increased my lift from 165x4x5 reps to 175 x4x5 reps.
    I felt really good afters my DLs so I decided to hit the squats after just to see what I could do. Well I surprised myself I put up 195 for three sets of 5. 20 lbs improvement from last week.

My goal is to get all my lifts up to at least my bodyweight which is188ish. I am assuming this is a good goal?

After that I plan to get my lifts up to 1.25x my bodyweight which is 235. I then plan to switch to the same amount of sets but go to 8-10 reps to build a little more mass. Are these goals acceptable and attainable?

I am very happy with my strength gains, but I am a little disapointed that I have not seen any gains in mass that I can tell? I plan to keep working at it but is there something I am missing or do I just need to give it time.
    Rep ranges will have an impact on what you are training, but will not always directly impact your overall bodyweight - that is dictated by your diet. The through that X number of reps is for "mass" is a common misconception that a lot of poeple have.

Here is a general breakdown, give or take 1-2 reps.
    • Strength / 1-6 Reps
    • Hypertrophy (Muscle Buiding) / 6-12 Reps
    • Endurance / 12+ Reps

There are a few reasons why you may not be gaining muscle, but a lot of it probably links back to your diet. The volume of your training is also a factor, if you are performing squats and deadlifts on leg day then it would be very difficult todo more than a few sets - this is where isolation or 'accessory' movements come in.

Getting big and strong at the same time is a very challenging task. I would focus on one or the other so that you can make consistent gains and then you can always re-evaluate if you decide that you would like to focus more on one or the other.

You may also want to look at a 'hybrid' programs (something like HCT-12) which provide a balance of heavy lifting, volume, and conditioning.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Rep ranges will have an impact on what you are training, but will not always directly impact your overall bodyweight - that is dictated by your diet. The through that X number of reps is for "mass" is a common misconception that a lot of poeple have.

Here is a general breakdown, give or take 1-2 reps.
    • Strength / 1-6 Reps
    • Hypertrophy (Muscle Buiding) / 6-12 Reps
    • Endurance / 12+ Reps

There are a few reasons why you may not be gaining muscle, but a lot of it probably links back to your diet. The volume of your training is also a factor, if you are performing squats and deadlifts on leg day then it would be very difficult todo more than a few sets - this is where isolation or 'accessory' movements come in.

Getting big and strong at the same time is a very challenging task. I would focus on one or the other so that you can make consistent gains and then you can always re-evaluate if you decide that you would like to focus more on one or the other.

You may also want to look at a 'hybrid' programs (something like HCT-12) which provide a balance of heavy lifting, volume, and conditioning.
    Thanks for the info. I am familiar with reps ranges. My first goal is to get stronger so I am going to stay with the low reps until I hit 1.25x my bodyweight on all lifts. After that my goal will lean more toward the bodybuilder aspect and I will up my reps accordingly.

I realize I should not have squatted and deadlifted the same day and I dont as a rule, but I was having a great day at the gym and was curious, one lift turned into three sets. I could have done more but decided not too. Thanks for the input by your sig I can see your well qualified to give advice and I appreciate it. I been working out consistently for 5 weeks now, perhaps that is why I havent seen any mass gains since I am expecting too much too soon?
    Last edited by ernie8306; 06-04-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie8306 View Post
    I been working out consistently for 5 weeks now, perhaps that is why I havent seen any mass gains since I am expecting too much too soon?
    When you say "mass" do you mean muscle mass (hypertrophy) or body mass (weight)?

I would not expect to see drastic changes in your first couple of weeks, although most beginners do make significant progress when they first start training.

Perhaps one of the reasons why you are not making progress right now is that you are training too heavy. You can still build quite a bit of strength in the 5-10 rep range but at the same time would increase hypertrophy and overall mass. I do not recommend that most beginners go below five repetitions unless you already have a strong athletic background and good initial strength levels.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    When you say "mass" do you mean muscle mass (hypertrophy) or body mass (weight)?

I would not expect to see drastic changes in your first couple of weeks, although most beginners do make significant progress when they first start training.

Perhaps one of the reasons why you are not making progress right now is that you are training too heavy. You can still build quite a bit of strength in the 5-10 rep range but at the same time would increase hypertrophy and overall mass. I do not recommend that most beginners go below five repetitions unless you already have a strong athletic background and good initial strength levels.
    I believe I have been training consistently for about 6 weeks now. I have never done any reps lower than 5 and usually I am doing between 5-7 reps for 3 to 4 sets on each excercise until I am exhuasted. I have seen a great improvement in strength just no increase in mass per se.

I started with relatively light weight (started squatting 90lbs, I am now squatting 220 lbs)
    (started benching 110ish, I am now benching 150ish) (started deadlifting 100 I am now deadlifting 175).

As you can see I started with lighter weights and slowly worked my way up to heavier weights. I am 5'11 188 lbs. I have gotten a lot stronger and I notice it in everyday life. I have noticed better muscle tone overall. Like I said I guess I was expecting too much too soon. My weight has not changed much it has fluctuated from 185 to 189 over the past month and I seem to maintain at about 188.

I plan to stick with this program for a few more weeks and then modify it. When I first started this program the DOMS was horrible, now it is not bad at all. Initially when I started squatting it took me a full four days to recover from the session and now I am down to a day to a day and a half recovery.

Do you believe given the strentgh gains I have made and the recovery period becoming small that I am doing the correct thing and I just need to be consistent about it to seen more results in the mass area?

While you have made good progress, you still have a long way to go (not mean). For example (from Stuart McRoberts), a typical weight trainer's goals should be to bench 300 lbs, squat 400 lbs, and deadlift 500 lbs. This average 5'10" lifter should be able to reach a weight of around 200 lbs at 10% body fat with those lifts. While that might not seem as BIG as you may want, that is what is typical for a person with average genetics. As you can see, you have a long road ahead of you and this takes years of dedicated consistency.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    While you have made good progress, you still have a long way to go (not mean). For example (from Stuart McRoberts), a typical weight trainer's goals should be to bench 300 lbs, squat 400 lbs, and deadlift 500 lbs. This average 5'10" lifter should be able to reach a weight of around 200 lbs at 10% body fat with those lifts. While that might not seem as BIG as you may want, that is what is typical for a person with average genetics. As you can see, you have a long road ahead of you and this takes years of dedicated consistency.
    Thanks offroad, that is the information I was looking for, good to know I am heading in the right direction and I just need to be consistant and keep hitting the gym and improving. Thanks for the nod. And no I didn;t think you were being mean, I know I am a weak ass, thats why I went to the gym lol. I'll look at it this way, I am halfway to my squat goals and a quarter of the way to my goals on the other lifts lol.