The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

I need general help.

I am sixteen years old and I run cross country and track. I'm about 160 lbs and 6'2". I've weighlifted in the past, not seriously enough to have any serious gains, but enough that I know technique and what not. I plan on transitioning from distance runner to sprinter next year, so I need help with a diet plan/workout routine that will help me gain muscle, and I just didn't know where to start, and this seemed like a good place to start. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The new HCT-12 routine would probably well for you. Read - Enjoy - Learn...
    http://www.wannabebig.com/cat/hypert...aining-hct-12/
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    ok, also I've been told that since I'm a bit on the thinner side, that I should keep my workouts short, like under an hour, is that true or just a bunch of bogus?

Thinner, bigger, fatter, doesn't matter...an hour in the gym is a good amount.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by XC15 View Post
    ok, also I've been told that since I'm a bit on the thinner side, that I should keep my workouts short, like under an hour, is that true or just a bunch of bogus?
    Without mid-workout nutrition, anything usually after 50 minutes becomes catabolic in nature thus negating the concept of muscle gain.

Wannabebig Member
    ok so how could i implement mid workout nutrition and would it be beneficial? also if i am doing running workouts how will that affect my muscle gains?

ok so how could i implement mid workout nutrition and would it be beneficial? also if i am doing running workouts how will that affect my muscle gains?
    mid-workout would be a protein shake you're consuming in the middle of your workout. Given that you're a beginner, I see no reason for you to do it. Regarding the running, I'll let someone more experienced than me answer, but I've been taught the distance running is detrimental to gaining muscle. I don't know if you can counter it easily by eating more.

What are you trying to gain from your current running workouts? If you plan on switching to sprinting anyways I would offset your running by simply eating more to maintain a caloric surplus.

From my experience I would think that once you switch to sprinting and start to transition to that type of training you will see much better gains.

On a side note I think you are definatly making the right choice by switching to sprinting. :P

I didn't even see the part that he was switching to sprinting. No it won't be detrimental. Have you seen some of the bodies on sprinters?

Wannabebig Member
    ok ha, im sorry i didn't specify, i still have to train for cross country in the fall, but i want to be sprinting by next spring.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    There is a concept called specificity of training. The two types of training (endurance and sprinting) are on polar opposites of the scale. I don't know much about you so I don't know which you are best suited for... and you are young enough that you might be able to make the switch... but the endurance work you do now takes you further away from the sprinting you hope to do next year.

Not to be a dream-killer, but its sort of like wanting to be a basketball player or a jockey, you may be suited for one and not the other. Have you told one of your coaches what you want to do? Are your sprint times acceptable to put you in range to place in 400 meters (of whatever your event would be)? I am wondering if your thinking is that sprinters are muscularly built, therefore if I become muscularly built, I will be a good sprinter? It is usually a case of "sprinters have fast twitch, explosive muscle fibers which makes them fast and that plus their training makes them muscular."

Studies have shown that your ratio of fast-twitch (sprint) to slow-twitch (endurance) muscle fibers can change over time based on the demands imposed on them but; 1) it takes years, and 2) fast twitch converts to endurance fibers faster than endurance fibers switch to become more sprint capable. (Actually much of this is the intermediate fiber types swinging one way or the other).

This is not to say that packing on as much strong functional muscle isn't a good idea, regardless of what your sports goals may be.

ok ha, im sorry i didn't specify, i still have to train for cross country in the fall, but i want to be sprinting by next spring.
    Honestly given your age and the activity level you are at I would just keep your Calories up, you are growing and training hard so the last thing you want to do is eat too little.

P.S. I would ignore Captain Negative above.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    Without mid-workout nutrition, anything usually after 50 minutes becomes catabolic in nature thus negating the concept of muscle gain.

No. It doesn't work that fast.

OP...at your age and level any decent training program like SS or the others touted on here will work. Nutrition is the most important part of the equation here. That and rest.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-03-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    No. It doesn't work that fast.
    Please explain for my knowledge then. I've been told by some people I consider reliable sources that. I just want to learn more.

Please explain for my knowledge then. I've been told by some people I consider reliable sources that. I just want to learn more.
    Do you really think we've evolved to not be able to handle more than 50 minutes of activity without eating constantly lest we wither away?

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Do you really think we've evolved to not be able to handle more than 50 minutes of activity without eating constantly lest we wither away?
    Usually we're not having that rigorous of activity at a time though either. But that's also why farmers eat 6-7 larger meals a day.

I was not negative at all, but certainly realistic. Respectfully, if you don't believe the body responds to specific training stimulus and adapts to it, then how do you go to the gym with any expectation of an planned outcome.

One thing to consider... and anyone that has ever been involved in football will tell you this... what is the FIRST thing coaches do on Day One of freshman football camp? Time everyone on sprints. Fast kids are backs and recievers, slow kids are on the line. They know they can't change the genetics of the athletes.

Maybe the original poster is a sprinter that has been miscast but, if that's the case, doing a season of cross country this fall WILL NOT help his goal of becoming a sprinter on next year's track team. How long does that give him? Less than six months?

Regardless, congrats on getting into strength training. You are young enough to bring about remarkable changes (but there are limits and a short time period and directly opposing goals will impair those).
    Last edited by Steve Colescott; 06-04-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Realistically he is 16 if he wants to sprint then he should sprint no matter what anyone else thinks.

You are basically presenting reasons as to why he should give up before starting, that in my book is called being a negative influence.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    Realistically he is 16 if he wants to sprint then he should sprint no matter what anyone else thinks.

You are basically presenting reasons as to why he should give up before starting, that in my book is called being a negative influence.
    Opinion noted. I hope he follows good advice and reaches his goals.

steve,
    let me respectfully disagree. ive been a coach on the collegiate and high shool levels for some time now, and as a high school coach we never "timed" anyone to see how fast they were on the first day. do we run them, yes. a lot can be said and determined when watching someone run or in some cases attempt to run ( we have to teach a lot of kids how to run). i do however understand where you were going with your point, and i do not think it was negative. maybe next time concentrate on what he "can" do to get faster/stronger. stride length and stride frequency can be improved, and you are right, it does take time. but getting faster is the key, and as long as he is progressing, thats a plus.

seK - you are correct to some degree as well. but thats why he is 16 and his coach is an adult. what if wanting to be a sprinter takes him out of a spot on the distance runs? he does need to know what "all" the possibilities and outcomes might be. i would tend to think at age 16 if he was a capable/potential sprinter, his coaches would have already recognized this or at least they should have by now. on the other hand he could be a late bloomer and could blossom into a great runner.

now, can we play nice now? :-)
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Bo,

Thanks for giving us the coach's perspective. I'm just glad to see a young guy using weights to improve his performance in any sport he ends up doing. (And I respect and appreciate seK's input as well).

-Steve

amen to that steve. unfortunately at the high school level, there are still a major group of coaches and parents who believe heavy lifting is only useful for football players. at our last school, we were given the autonomy to require all athletes to lift. by the time the 9th graders became seniors(this year), all sports had seen marked improvement in their wins and losses with all male and female sports teams making the playoffs. which at that school had never happened.
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

What Mr. Kastro said. Also consider this. The digestion process takes time. Drinking a shake mid-workout is not going to help (assuming a typical workout of under an hour). By the time it's been broken down and those specific nutrients have been transported to the muscles...you've finished and gone home.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for all the help guys! hitting the gym for the first time on this program tomorow, i'm very excited!