The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Intensity day: 170kg squat x 2 - RAW

bodyweight: 86kg

Video
    Last edited by The Sun; 06-05-2010 at 03:58 AM.
    We all got a mountain to climb.
    go climb yours while I move mine.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sun View Post
    bodyweight: 86kg

Video
    Fixed.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Solid squatting.

Pick a style of squatting. Either keep the hips back and shins vertical, or sink those squats. Either way you are short changing yourself.

Other thing is, watch any pro powerlifter set up. You seem to jiggle the bar around as you psych up. Look at first rep, you sorta move up and down twice. Stay stable, fill up the gut and chest and squat. Don't waste energy on it.

Last thing, stop raising the elbows. Your second rep got ugly because of it, get the albows under the bar, and your lower back and chest will follow.

good lifting mate.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm aware of the elbows issue, I'm trying to sort it out. other than that, so I appreciate your awareness.
    I'm squatting the low-bar squat as described in Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book. so I'm letting the knees shift forward on the beginning of the motion and then sitting backwards. don't see anything wrong with that mate.

thanks for the input!
    Last edited by The Sun; 06-05-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Banned
    strong! all of that moving/jiggling once you unrack is not good... still, very strong!

I'm aware of the elbows issue, I'm trying to sort it out. other than that, so I appreciate your awareness.
    I'm squatting the low-bar squat as described in Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book. so I'm letting the knees shift forward on the beginning of the motion and then sitting backwards. don't see anything wrong with that mate.

thanks for the input!
    For what it's worth. I'm no Rippetoe, I'm just a kid on the internet, but I've been under the bar for 4 years now and have trained with well over 200 lifters of all kinds. There is one unifying principle I have see across the board: Ripp squats suck.

Maximizing the stretch of the hamstrings ideally happens at the bottom of an Oly squat, or at parallel with the shins vertical. Either way you get the most out of the movement, and there is a definitive point where you can use your elasticity. The style Ripp advocates really kills this advantage. Ripp squats are these awkward aborted fetus kind of movements, you may be the first person I've seen move decent weight on them. You can't get the most out of the hams because the knees are slightly forward, the hips are slightly back, and the depth is at parallel. It's just weird, looks wrong and I utterly detest the movement.

But again, my opinion only.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    For what it's worth. I'm no Rippetoe, I'm just a kid on the internet, but I've been under the bar for 4 years now and have trained with well over 200 lifters of all kinds. There is one unifying principle I have see across the board: Ripp squats suck.

Maximizing the stretch of the hamstrings ideally happens at the bottom of an Oly squat, or at parallel with the shins vertical. Either way you get the most out of the movement, and there is a definitive point where you can use your elasticity. The style Ripp advocates really kills this advantage. Ripp squats are these awkward aborted fetus kind of movements, you may be the first person I've seen move decent weight on them. You can't get the most out of the hams because the knees are slightly forward, the hips are slightly back, and the depth is at parallel. It's just weird, looks wrong and I utterly detest the movement.

its ok mate, I just squat whatever I find comfortable.
    what program are you following? and your best lifts?

there are definately some issues with your form, but you are still moving the weight with some explosiveness. i have seen a guy hyper-extend his knee pretty bad doing all that pre-squat bouncing like you are doing (unlocking the knee and then locking it back up/bouncing) I would avoid that at all costs!!! could end getting ugly at some point. good work though and keep squatting!!!!
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bojackson View Post
    there are definately some issues with your form, but you are still moving the weight with some explosiveness. i have seen a guy hyper-extend his knee pretty bad doing all that pre-squat bouncing like you are doing (unlocking the knee and then locking it back up/bouncing) I would avoid that at all costs!!! could end getting ugly at some point. good work though and keep squatting!!!!
    thanks, im trying to get rid of this habit of bouncing the bar before reps...

its ok mate, I just squat whatever I find comfortable.
    what program are you following? and your best lifts?
    Yeah, but the squat doesn't LOOK comfortable to me. It looks confused and like it doesn't know where it should go.

I train Oly style, program changes every 4-6 weeks. 535 atg raw squat, 605 deadlift @ 17yo 235 bodyweight.

Fuzzy, I do believe you are talking out of your ass. A ton of IPF lifters squat with VERY similar styles to Rip squats. A lot of powerlifters who squat uber wide in gear also squat using similar styles when training raw. And I'm not really understanding how your hamstrings are more stretched at the bottom of an Oly squat...

With that being said, these squats do look a little awkward IMO, because your knees are coming forward at the bottom a little (much worse on the second rep) and your ass is shooting back as you come up, making you good morning the weight. But nobody's form is perfect at maximal weights.

No, Rippetoe does not advocate parallel squats.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Form looked fine for a max effort set. Strong stuff.

Strong as hell. I can't even imagine how heavy that would feel on your shoulders lol

Cut out all the extra **** before the rep and the other stuff will fall into place. You are getting there.

Fuzzy, you gained 30 lbs back in a month? I thought you were dropping the weight.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, but the squat doesn't LOOK comfortable to me. It looks confused and like it doesn't know where it should go.

I train Oly style, program changes every 4-6 weeks. 535 atg raw squat, 605 deadlift @ 17yo 235 bodyweight.
    those are nice results. are you competing ? you should, these are impressive numbers for any age.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Fuzzy, I do believe you are talking out of your ass. A ton of IPF lifters squat with VERY similar styles to Rip squats. A lot of powerlifters who squat uber wide in gear also squat using similar styles when training raw. And I'm not really understanding how your hamstrings are more stretched at the bottom of an Oly squat...

With that being said, these squats do look a little awkward IMO, because your knees are coming forward at the bottom a little (much worse on the second rep) and your ass is shooting back as you come up, making you good morning the weight. But nobody's form is perfect at maximal weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    No, Rippetoe does not advocate parallel squats.
    the coming up from the hole is what Rippetoe calls "hip drive", I thought this is the way you should get out from the hole...
    you're right about the maximal weights, that 2nd rep was a grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Form looked fine for a max effort set. Strong stuff.
    thanks Max.
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Strong as hell. I can't even imagine how heavy that would feel on your shoulders lol
    I wouldn't say I'm as strong as hell, one of my training partner just squatted last week 240kgx3 reps...
    thanks for the kind words.
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Cut out all the extra **** before the rep and the other stuff will fall into place. You are getting there.

Fuzzy, you gained 30 lbs back in a month? I thought you were dropping the weight.
    yea I gotta get rid of that habit. thanks.

Most ignorant comment I've ever read.

the coming up from the hole is what Rippetoe calls "hip drive", I thought this is the way you should get out from the hole...
    you're right about the maximal weights, that 2nd rep was a grind.
    I know what hip drive is. Your ass should come straight up from the hole, not up and back. Everyone's butt comes back a little, but I think yours is slightly too much.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    I know what hip drive is. Your ass should come straight up from the hole, not up and back. Everyone's butt comes back a little, but I think yours is slightly too much.
    I see it, you're right. I'll try to keep the arch more tight at the hole. thanks.

Congrats, great lifts and good effort! I am a noob, but also somewhat of a form perfectionist. From my humble opinion, you just need to make sure that your chest is staying up. If your chest rises with your hips, your back will stay arched.

If there's anything wrong with that advice, please let me know, but that's just what I see.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d0rkyd00d View Post
    Congrats, great lifts and good effort! I am a noob, but also somewhat of a form perfectionist. From my humble opinion, you just need to make sure that your chest is staying up. If your chest rises with your hips, your back will stay arched.

If there's anything wrong with that advice, please let me know, but that's just what I see.
    you're right. I should probably stay tighter.
    thanks for the kind words, though.
    Last edited by The Sun; 06-09-2010 at 08:20 AM.