Thread: deadlift form question

Wannabestronger

deadlift form question

When I max out, I tend to have a split second pause between lifting the weight and full lockout. I am NOT resting the weight on my thighs. Is this normal for maxing out? Or is this considered hitching?

I found this on youtube, I use olympic weights, the pause he does is similar to what I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yRJBFtHNuw
    Last edited by The Dare Devil; 06-05-2010 at 11:02 AM.

that was the best video ive ever seen! .......as to your question i hope your deads do not look like that
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Wannabestronger
    They do not look like his. I was giving an example of how he does a split second pause right before full lockout. That's what I was trying to display

Lots of people struggle at lockout and it could be for a number of reasons. If you are pausing or stopping near the top before locking out, it could be perceived by judges as a hitch. Ideally you don't want a pause or stop at any point until lockout. You should probably work on figuring out what is causing this and work on correcting it. I would suggest you get a video of a max or near max DL and post it here to get some feedback. It will be nearly impossible to give you any meaningful feedback without seeing what exactly is going on.

I agree with Sean, there are multiple judges that are probably going to say the weight stopped progress and call you on it. There are times in the gym when I max out that my progress slows, and wouldn't be considered a good lift, and that's fine as long as you're just in the gym for the pure goal of getting stronger. Again, we can't really assess much without seeing your flaws. Try and get a video from front and side, be best if it's the same lift, 2 videos. Knee placement, bar placement, angle of the lift, bar path, butt placement...hips...back....I can go on...all play a factor. Near the top you should be exploding the hips through the lift at lockout. It should be a quick, mega explosive movement from floor to lock out, BOOM! and you're there. Do some lighter weight reps for speed, bust em out, BOOM! sit the weight down maintain grip, BOOM! do it again for explosiveness, then when you max out, remember the feeling of explosiveness and agression on the bar. Make it your bitch.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabestronger
    Thanks for the tips. Here is a video of me doing my max (410lbs) from 2 hours ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0_Qy...layer_embedded

I've noticed my back is round when maxing, but straighter when doing reps.

not the best camera angle to see what's going on,
    but few things:

take a a few secs to get into proper form, once you bend down to grab the bar,
    tuck your butt down and out,
    shoulders square, chest up, head up slightly,
    pull up and back towards your heels, lean back onto the heels, let the bar graze up your shins.

get down lower and get more hip drive. it looked like 90% SLDL and 10% conventional deadlift. your legs were already straight before you even got half way up your shins. when you get down to grab the bar make sure you are tight. get a deep breath into the belly and get tight. get your shoulders tight and back. pinch your shoulder blades together. once the weight got past your knees you went forward and on your toes a bit. keep the weight back on the heels and pull up and back flex the glutes and lower back when getting close to lockout to stay back on your heels. im sure others will chime in as well but those were just some of the things i saw. other than that tho great job overall it looked pretty easy for you just need to work on some things but who doesnt.
    Last edited by gmen5681; 06-05-2010 at 05:12 PM.

You're getting zero leg drive and you never get even close to getting an arch at all. When you get that rounded over, you have to try and uncoil and stand up straight at the top. This is why you have that difficult spot at the top. It's not really your lockout that's the problem, but your set-up and position on the way up. Here's what I would suggest:
    1) Drop your hips and try to get your chest up when you set up. This should get you into an arched position. You don't have to drop the hips super low, but enough to get an arch.
    2) Start the bar off the floor by pushing with your legs while holding your arch hard.
    3) Once the bar passes your knees, push your hips forward and stand up straight.

Drop the weight back to something you can do with better technique. If you work up to a weight and your form falls apart, drop back to a weight you can do correctly. For a more detailed description of a proper set-up, do an internet search for Mark Rippetoe + deadlift.