I tried to do a pull up for the first time in my life yesterday and was SO glad no one was watching me... It wasn't on an actual pull up bar, just on this rail that was about 7.5 - 8 ft high, just low enough for me to get my hands around.

I would like to set a short term goal of being able to do a pull up. Yes a pull up. Just one. I'd be ecstatic. We'll add more later, I just want to be able to get my fat ass up ONCE. I should mention that I weigh around 315 lbs at last weigh, which was a while back and I've been dieting and exercising for over a month now. But I don't own a scale, yet, so I don't know if that's changed.

Anyway, here're my questions:

First, I was thinking of getting either a power tower type thing or one of those doorway pull up bars. I'm not sure about the weight limits on all of them, but I've seen like 220-250 lbs limits. Are there any heavyweights out there that have used these things with or without issues? I like the power tower thing because I can do dips and stuff as well, and also it's set up so you can use your legs to assist, which I would surely need at first. But I think my weight may be an issue.

Second: If I go with the thing that you stick in the doorway, especially at my weight, has anyone noticed any damage to their wall, trim, etc...? I live in a rental, so I'm kind of afraid of that. But I like how you can save space with these, plus use them for push ups (my wrists hurt from these a lot) or situps.

Third: Is there any point in me even trying with pull ups or should I just continue to focus on lifting weights until I've built up enough to do them unassisted? The only way I'm getting up there is with my feet on something. If I try to pull my bulk up, I think I'd tear something pretty bad.

So I guess the big issue is: should I wait until I'm closer to my target weight of 220 lbs before I even think about pull ups?

I guess it's not a big deal, it just pissed me off yesterday when I tried to do one and couldn't even get half way up. I mean... jeez... what if I'm clinging for dear life one day on the side of a mountain like in the movies? I'm freaking dead. That's a scary thought. Pull ups could literally save my life one day. I've seen "Cliff Hanger." If Rocky couldn't do a pull up, that movie would have sucked... moreso....