Thread: Deload Week

Deload Week

In the training program article, it states to "work up to a weight you can hit fifteen reps comfortably for two sets". I'm guessing the rep number we use for all sets working up to our final set is also going to be fifteen reps?

It'll be around 15 reps yes, but it's up to you. The idea is not to bust a gut here.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    It'll be around 15 reps yes, but it's up to you. The idea is not to bust a gut here.
    Gotcha.

I was going to ask about the deload week myself. Mainly why to use such high reps? Even if your using light weight that is still a decent amount of volume. I was just planning on using the same type of deload I did on the 5/3/1 routine which is warm ups then 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5 while also cutting back on accessory work.

My deload weeks have always been higher reps and less sets. It's important to get some volume through you on a deload week, think of it as a tick over rather than a week off. Training higher reps allows you to be able to do that and it also makes the sessions quite short as the total sets will be less.

Daniel will no doubt give you a better answer though
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I was going to ask about the deload week myself. Mainly why to use such high reps? Even if your using light weight that is still a decent amount of volume. I was just planning on using the same type of deload I did on the 5/3/1 routine which is warm ups then 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5 while also cutting back on accessory work.
    It's a 'deload' week in the sense that the intensity is reduced dramatically, however we still want a training effect and the higher reps give us one albeit more fatigue based than tension based.

The idea is to deload the connective tissue, increase capillarization etc ease up slightly whilst still getting a stimulus for growth.

If it helps think of it not as a deload more as periodisation. Makes no difference, the effect is stil the same.