Thread: Walking after weight lifting?

Walking after weight lifting?

Hey, I was wondering if there is anything wrong with going for a walk after weight lifting?

I ask because I always hear to do cardio type stuff after weight training and I like to walk my dong in the park just about every evening about 2.5 miles in 35-40 minutes.

I was just wondering how this could effect muscle development, since I've heard that cardio can eat your muscles (catabolism). I try to do cardio on different days than weights, or at least cardio in the morning and lift in the evening like today. I don't know if a simple brisk walk really counts much as cardio, though. I'm doing legs this afternoon, then eating, then walking the dog.

Also, am I actually burning fat doing this since I generally take the walk after my post-wo meal. I've heard that you're just burning off what you ate, and not the fat. But would that help to stave off catabolism, then? So at least my dog is getting a work out even if I'm not really burning fat, at least I'm not burning muscle.

New to all of this and curious. Thanks.
    Last edited by RebelDogg; 05-29-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Walking your dog is fine. It won't have any huge impact on your size and strength development provided you are eating enough.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Going for a walk after weight training will really just serve as a cool down than anything.

If you are training hard, you are gonna have some sort of elevated heart rate when you finish. I would imagine going on a walk would actually help normalize your heart rate as opposed to raise it. I personally do a lot of walking when I finish from the gym (whether it is walking around my house, to my car, etc) you will be doing some sort of walking anyway.

Running, on the other hand, will

Hey, thanks for the responses. I didn't think the walks were a big deal, but I was just unsure. The word "catabolism" scares me. I haven't built up enough yet to be losing anything that I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelDogg View Post
    I like to walk my dong in the park just about every evening
    Careful... that could land you in jail.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

LOL... oops.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    lol at walking your dong
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    If you do any sort of walking (anything more than three steps) after you finish weight training, all your gains will be nullified and you might even lose muscle on top of that.

You should be fine. I do cardio 6x a week (in short sessions) and have been gaining muscle at a consistent rate. Eat more if you are concerned.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    lol at walking your dong
    Excellent exercise. Just the thrill of potentially getting caught increases your heart rate.

underdog
    i usually walk my dog before my weight training, what effect would this have, i tought it would have just warmed me up for my session.

Quote Originally Posted by underdog View Post
    i usually walk my dog before my weight training, what effect would this have, i tought it would have just warmed me up for my session.
    Your body burns sugars before it burns fats. You use the sugars for explosive movements [i.e. weightlifting]. If you do any type of cardio that elevates your heart rate prior to weightlifting, you'll burn the sugar. You wouldn't be able to lift as much weight, or for as many reps. Or both. At least that's how it was told to me.

Quote Originally Posted by underdog View Post
    I personally prefer walking afterwards, but that's me. I like to make sure I'm at full energy and strength to get the most out of my sets, then walk. I know walking (for me at least) is a big help with DOMS. Either on my elliptical or in the park. I don't know if walking before DOMS sets in really helps much or not, but I like to think it does. Especially for leg days, which is where I get the worst soreness.

But I'm also a 300lbs dude living in southern Louisiana in the summertime, so a 2.5 mile fast walk/light jog leaves me pretty sweaty and ready for a shower whereas someone else may just feel warmed up from it. I'm not tired from it, exactly, but I wouldn't have as much energy afterwards as I would beforehand. I like to just do pushups and crunches or get on my elliptical for 5 minutes to warm up.

I think in the end you should go with how you feel after your walk. If you think it zaps any of your energy, I'd probably do lifting first. I mean, us fat guys get sloppy after a few miles but some of these little guys can walk for days and not break a sweat. So I guess it also depends on how far and fast you go and your fitness level.

I walk as fast as I can without running and am now down to 35ish minutes for 2.5 miles, which started at nearly an hour for the same distance. Once I get down to 30 minutes, I'm going to add 2 miles to my walks (once more around the park) Definitely not something I want before I lift.

You can take my advice because I'm a professional. Not a professional athlete or anything... just a general professional. I have a shirt from the 80's and everything... come to think of it... never mind. Don't listen to me. Can someone here help this dude, please?
    Last edited by RebelDogg; 06-05-2010 at 09:21 AM.

underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelDogg View Post
    I personally prefer walking afterwards, but that's me. I like to make sure I'm at full energy and strength to get the most out of my sets, then walk. I know walking (for me at least) is a big help with DOMS. Either on my elliptical or in the park. I don't know if walking before DOMS sets in really helps much or not, but I like to think it does. Especially for leg days, which is where I get the worst soreness.

But I'm also a 300lbs dude living in southern Louisiana in the summertime, so a 2.5 mile fast walk/light jog leaves me pretty sweaty and ready for a shower whereas someone else may just feel warmed up from it. I'm not tired from it, exactly, but I wouldn't have as much energy afterwards as I would beforehand. I like to just do pushups and crunches or get on my elliptical for 5 minutes to warm up.

I think in the end you should go with how you feel after your walk. If you think it zaps any of your energy, I'd probably do lifting first. I mean, us fat guys get sloppy after a few miles but some of these little guys can walk for days and not break a sweat. So I guess it also depends on how far and fast you go and your fitness level.

I walk as fast as I can without running and am now down to 35ish minutes for 2.5 miles, which started at nearly an hour for the same distance. Once I get down to 30 minutes, I'm going to add 2 miles to my walks (once more around the park) Definitely not something I want before I lift.

You can take my advice because I'm a professional. Not a professional athlete or anything... just a general professional. I have a shirt from the 80's and everything... come to think of it... never mind. Don't listen to me. Can someone here help this dude, please?
    ha ha, itresting read rebeldogg, after my walk i still have a good bit left in the tank, im not extremely fit or anything i mean by the time i get home im sweating buckets, i dont want to reverse any of my weight work by burning fat or muscle, im going to walk after my session and see if there is much of a diffrence

People worry far too much about stuff like this - get out and half a walk, it wo';t do you ANY harm at all. In fact, you'll be healthier for it

Sure, if you are built like an etheopian and find it incredibly hard to gain an oz of weight, it is true that you should keep this stuff to a minumum, but in general it won't make ANY difference to your gains and hey your dog deserves a walk lol

If your primary goal is to gain weight and you need to gain a lot of it, just keep calories a little higher on the days you move about quite a bit!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal