Thread: First deload week strictly necesarry?

Banned

First deload week strictly necesarry?

So I think I know the answer but I'm going to be an idiot and ask anyway.

The reason I ask is that this is my fourth week into the program, but the first two weeks were just spent getting to grips with it and easing back into heavy weight training again. It feels like I've only been pushing 6rm for the last week or so. I don't feel fatigued or over-trained, I feel like I have momentum. And I don't want to halt that momentum as soon as I've got it going.

So... do I just take it anyway, or could I maybe do one more week before a deload? I'm doing the three day program btw.

I would take it.

I reckon you might be able to get away with not given that you were getting to grips with things and also only just starting to build up to decent weight though - your call.

The thing about deload weeks is you don't always feel you need them when you ideally need to take them if that makes sense
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

I agree with Daniel, I'd just take it. It's only a week and then you can hit it hard again. It will set the stage for several weeks of continued progress. Besides, several of us are deloading this week...join us
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

You should probably be ok especially as you say the 1st 2 weeks were spent getting to grips with it. It also depends how close you're pushing the 6RM to failure. If you keep a rep or two back then potentially the deload is your call. I wouldn't make a habit of missing it just because you feel great - anyone who's injured themselves lifitng will probably tell you they felt great right up to the point things went belly up.

To be clear I'm not concerned about 'overtraining', simply overreaching and hitting wall which'll set you back a couple of weeks. The idea with the deload is as a different training effect, an opportunity to rest the connective tissue/joints etc whilst avoiding that wall.

At this point a few weeks in with only a one/couple of those truly counting I'd be tempted to skip the 1st deload and make sure not to the next time it comes round.

The choice however is yours.

Banned
    Hmmm, that's what I'm thinking.

There are a couple of things which have just got going though. When I started, my arms fatigued too early to get the clusters on chins. Now I'm adding weight almost every session. It was like they needed to learn how to handle it. My stiff-leg deadlift keeps increasing too, but I don't know if I've actually got much stronger on it, I just started off cautiously so my lower back could adapt to the stress. It seems like I'm only getting up to a true 6rm now.

But no, I think you're right. I'll do the deload at the end of this week and use it as a chance to do some more yoga and mobility work.

I just read Daniel Roberts' comments in another thread that states the deload week will still have a training effect so its not as if I'm going to waste away that week.

EDIT - cross-post with Daniel Roberts. I'll do this week and see how I feel at the end of it. If I make PRs every session I'll keep going. If I hit a wall, I'll deload.
    Last edited by J.C.; 06-07-2010 at 06:16 AM.