The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

squat and deadlift difference?

i was wondering why when you are just beginning and a novice your deadlift is higher than your squat, but then you see all the elite and pro lifters their squat is usually 150-200 lbs heavier than their deadlift. when and why does the change happen? is it because of the gear, or is it just because squat is golden lift and the deadlift is just a secondary lift to the squat so it gets trained more?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's a gear thing. Many lifters esp multiply lifters get a ton of extra weight out of their gear while they may only get 50lbs out of a squat suit. I think it's actually pretty rare that someone has a higher raw squat than deadlift.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by IronDiggy View Post
    It's a gear thing. Many lifters esp multiply lifters get a ton of extra weight out of their gear while they may only get 50lbs out of a squat suit. I think it's actually pretty rare that someone has a higher raw squat than deadlift.
    You mean deadlift suit?
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lones Green View Post
    You mean deadlift suit?
    Yea sorry, trying to answer calls while typing hah.
    Training since Dec 2008.

Its a geared thing if you are referring to geared lifting, like the guy above mentioned.

My raw squat is higher than my raw DL though (only by 5-10lbs), but most people are not like this.
    Last edited by ehopkins932; 07-09-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

i figured it was a gear thing. thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    i figured it was a gear thing. thanks for the info guys.
    Its not always "a gear thing"... thats a common excuse given but thats not always the case. My RAW squat is about 150-200 lbs more than my raw deadlift .

you also have to consider the lifters leverages and their proportions.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

gear may make a bigger difference in the squat, but many very advanced lifters are stronger in the squat than deadlift even raw, its usually the novice and intermediates that are the deadlift heavier than squat.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    its usually the novice and intermediates that are the deadlift heavier than squat.
    why is that though?

I wrote this a while back - thought it was one of my better pieces:
    Deadlift Stud, Squatting Dud: http://davedraper.com/blog/2009/09/1...squatting-dud/
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Its not always "a gear thing"... thats a common excuse given but thats not always the case. My RAW squat is about 150-200 lbs more than my raw deadlift .

you also have to consider the lifters leverages and their proportions.
    what the hell? how much do you squat? My squat is about 20lbs heavier than my deadlift. But I attribute that to my short legs and arms which makes hitting depth easy and pulling hard. But I'd never thought anyone would have a 150lbs difference.
    Training since Dec 2008.

gear may make a bigger difference in the squat, but many very advanced lifters are stronger in the squat than deadlift even raw, its usually the novice and intermediates that are the deadlift heavier than squat.
    Some examples? KK, Eferding come to mind as those with higher deadlifts to me.

what the hell? how much do you squat? My squat is about 20lbs heavier than my deadlift. But I attribute that to my short legs and arms which makes hitting depth easy and pulling hard. But I'd never thought anyone would have a 150lbs difference.
    Unless your nick name is Kingkong There has been a couple of supers with that big of diffrence but that is very rare.

My buddy Troy Nash squats alot more raw than he deadlifts. His raw squat is a little over over 900 w/knee wraps and his raw dead's are a little over 700
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...et-log-4-19-14

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Some examples? KK, Eferding come to mind as those with higher deadlifts to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rinse View Post
    Unless your nick name is Kingkong There has been a couple of supers with that big of diffrence but that is very rare.
    Yeah thats the funny part and kind of part of my observation. KK and Efferding are very lean, But many of the bigger guys are the ones with much higher squats than deadlift. I know as I have gotten stronger, I have increased a lot more in my squat as I have put on weight

Edit: I've even seen video of Louie saying you can squat more than you can deadlift and I don't think it was in the context of if you are in gear..
    Last edited by SEOINAGE; 07-10-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Yeah thats the funny part and kind of part of my observation. KK and Efferding are very lean
    Video

is this the same king kong as you are referring too? because that man is no where close to lean. lol
    Last edited by gmen5681; 07-10-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Yeah thats the funny part and kind of part of my observation. KK and Efferding are very lean, But many of the bigger guys are the ones with much higher squats than deadlift. I know as I have gotten stronger, I have increased a lot more in my squat as I have put on weight

Edit: I've even seen video of Louie saying you can squat more than you can deadlift and I don't think it was in the context of if you are in gear..
    It would make sense if one is larger, they could squat more raw than deadlift. The size makes it more of an advantage when in the hole, and more of a detriment getting down to the bar. It seems like leaner lifters raw deadlift more than the can squat, but if they weren't lean, they could probably increase their squat beyond their deadlift? But, the deadlift might start to suffer?

But what are you talking about? Do you think KK squats more than he deadlifts? I even doubt that Efferding squats more than he deadlifts if he does get to use wraps(gear).

Most i've ever squatted in a meet is 855, but that was in single ply equipment and I ended up bombing in that meet because I couldn't get a damned deadlift in.

I've got a big barrel chest and gut with relatively short arms and legs on a long torso for my height. Like I said, I think lifter leverages play a HUGE role in how much they can deadlift.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    Video

is this the same king kong as you are referring too? because that man is no where close to lean. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rinse View Post
    But what are you talking about? Do you think KK squats more than he deadlifts? I even doubt that Efferding squats more than he deadlifts if he does get to use wraps(gear).
    I was not implying that kk or efferding squats more than they deadlift. And I was not calling king kong lean. Both of you took what I said backwards.