The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Motivation for Deload week

How do you guys keep the motivation to keep the deload on the right track?
    I'm having the hardest time staying focused on my goals while training. It sucks!!
    I feel like a weakling. The looks you get... You know they thinking "damn.. he looked stronger than he is"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

LOL I feel the same way just doing warmup sets. But would you rather have the looks, or train productively? Simple question to answer IMO.

The motivation comes from knowing this will help me get to the next step. Change your train of thought. I don't call it a de-load, I call it a re-load. Simple semantics, but it puts it into perspective for me.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    The motivation comes from knowing this will help me get to the next step. Change your train of thought. I don't call it a de-load, I call it a re-load. Simple semantics, but it puts it into perspective for me.
    The simple question to as yourself before you begin lifting:

Am I lifting for them or for me?

Stay focused on the long term goal my man. Deloads are incredibly important to continue to make progress month after month, so just get in, get it done and get out and welcome the break in intensity. Next week you'll be at it again hard and can show off
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanton View Post
    How do you guys keep the motivation to keep the deload on the right track?
    I'm having the hardest time staying focused on my goals while training. It sucks!!
    I feel like a weakling. The looks you get... You know they thinking "damn.. he looked stronger than he is"
    I would just take it easy and have fun on your deload weeks; you can change up the exercises, tempo, rep ranges, etc.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I just did my first deload week pretty much ever a few weeks ago and it was tough to resist lifting heavier but I made it through. The first workout or 2 after the deload was also a little tough on me as it was a shock to my CNS but after that everything seemed fine. The one convenient thing about the deloads for me is I'm doing 5/3/1 and I managed to get my cycles set up so that my deload during August will be during a week I'm on vacation in St Lucia and my deload during September will be during a week when I go back home for a wedding. So given that I'll have limited gym access during those weeks it makes me feel good to know I'm supposed to be taking it easy that week anyway.

I do question the frequency of deload weeks in 5/3/1 a little, but I'm going to stick with it for now. It seems like it wouldn't be bad to only do the deload week every other cycle instead of every cycle. I'm not sure if a deload every 4th (for the 4x a week version) or 5th (for the 3x a week version) week is neccessary. Doing it every other cycle you'd still get a deload week in every 7th or 9th week depending if you do the 3x or 4x a week version of the routine.

How frequently do most people here work in a deload week?
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Once you are DONE with your deload you will realize how valuable they are. On a cut I always seem to lose a little weight on the deload. On a bulk, my lifts are always explosive and I have fantastic intensity the following week.

It gives you a great mental as well as physical break. Yeah its a beotch convincing yourself to do it, but when you are done you will look back and be grateful (if done properly anyway.)
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Quote Originally Posted by SMK41 View Post
    I do question the frequency of deload weeks in 5/3/1 a little, but I'm going to stick with it for now. It seems like it wouldn't be bad to only do the deload week every other cycle instead of every cycle
    You could try doing the deload every-other cycle like you mentioned. If it works, great. If you hit a wall, then go back to every cycle again. It's worth investigating anyways.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I like this thinking!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Stay focused on the long term goal my man. Deloads are incredibly important to continue to make progress month after month, so just get in, get it done and get out and welcome the break in intensity. Next week you'll be at it again hard and can show off
    I agree 100% with both of these posts.

Deloading is something I have not done properly in the last 5-6 years and now I realize that I was always looking short term and not long term.
    Last edited by View 1; 06-08-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I'm not very motivated to do them, and usually miss most of them by just staying home. Once I get back in the gym I realize how I should just have gone in to keep myself fresh.