Thread: Help finding a good bench?

Help finding a good bench?

Hey, I'm on the verge of buying a power cage. I say on the verge because the money I saved is now going to the vet... but after that I'll be getting my power cage (rack?). I like the idea that it can be used for the bench press and you have the bars there to keep you from killing yourself, seeing as I have no spotter.

Here's the thing. I've never even laid down on a bench before except for my dumbbell bench, which is very uncomfortable for me except for in the incline and upright positions. Flat leaves my head with no support and decline is friggin' impossible to lay on. Plus it's narrow as hell. I'm just too big for the thing. I'm 6'4 and 268 lbs, so I want something that I'll be comfortable on.

After I get my cage, I want to get a real bench so I can do all these fancy bench presses and such in different positions. (incline, decline, flat, etc...)

I'm looking online but that doesn't give me much to go on as far as is it comfortable, sturdy, easy to change positions, wide enough, long enough, etc... Hate to order one and find out it's a piece of crap.

Can anyone suggest a good bench? I don't need anything that comes with any attachments like preacher curl thing or whatever (but it'd be nice). Just a bench that can go incline and decline. I'd rather not spend too much money, but I'm willing to pay for quality. I figure no more than about $200 at the outside, but I'd rather keep it closer to $150 if I can find a quality one for that or less. I don't even know what a good name brand is for this kind of stuff. All I know is Weider.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Shifted this to the powerlifting forum as I think you'll get better answers here.

Heres a link for you too - http://www.westside-barbell.com/comm...ght-equipment/
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

You are not nearly in the price range for a good adjustable bench. There are terrible gaps in most adjustable benches between the seat and the back portion. Also without spending good money the padding and construction will be for crap. If the one you have is good for incline and upright, then it sounds like you could be in the right price range for a quality flat utility bench.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    You are not nearly in the price range for a good adjustable bench.
    What do you think the price range is for something decent? I guess a flat bench would be better than nothing. I can use my DB bench for incline and just forgo decline position for now. But my DB bench is NOT good for flat... my head hangs off the end and the front portion is angled up... uncomfortable.

So are you saying a good flat bench would be in that price range? I mean, I could save up for something better if an adjustable one isn't too expensive. I just don't want to get ridiculous, y'know? I wish I could go to a store around here and try some out, but the only place that would have it doesn't sell just benches, I don't think.

I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money on crap, but at the same time I don't want to pay 2x as much for a fancy name when another brand would be just as good.

Oh, and thanks for the link, Daniel. About to go to vet, so I'll check it out when I get home.
    Last edited by RebelDogg; 06-10-2010 at 01:27 PM.