The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Is Football Lifting and HCT too Much?

Im wondering if u think thats too much, because ive been feeling burned out. I have footaball practice mon-thur. (we have conditioning, where we just run around 2-3 miles. Then we lift for another 1 hr. 15 min) But im also doing the 4-day split of the HCT routine. Then on fri. i have bball practice too

So im hitting every body part 4x a week if i keep goin on like this. We do olympic lifts at school, but its still 2 upper and lower body days. And of course the HCT 4-day split has 2 upper and lower body days. I was gonna switch my bb training to 3x a wk cause i cant do 8 lifting sessions a wk anymore.

Is this too much? The main that gets me is squatting heavy 4x a wk. I didnt go to practice today, my lifting was starting to suffer. I know that bb isnt easy and you have to train past the pain barrier but dang im sore to the point where my lifts are starting to suffer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It sure sounds like too much. I'd drop the HCT-12 until football is over. Or incorporate your HCT-12 into your football lifting. I wouldn't want to be lifting weight more than 4 times a week.
    Last edited by Off Road; 06-09-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    During high school, when we would have two-a-days or three-a-days, coaches would incorporate a thee day lifting schedule into our training regiment. Our school used the Bigger, Faster, Stronger system, so we basically did:

Monday: bench/ squat/ aux
    Tuesday: Plyo
    Wednesday: Deadlift/ Powerclean/ Hexbar
    Thursday: Plyo
    Friday: Towel bench/ Box squat

That on top of football practice. It was crazy.

Doing the HCT-12 Program on top of everything else you are doing is just insane. Take a break - you deserve it.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    *Phew* Thanks cuz i thought maybe i was just bein a pansy. Well i gotta question, the way we lift at school is alright but bb specific training is better. Ultimately my goal is bb, its not lik im gonna go to college to play football or anything.

So could i keep lifting at school till the summer is over, but still do 2 upper body days w/ no lower days with the HCT routine? This would work out cuz my lower body dwarfs my upper body, and its only gonna be for a little under 2 months.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I would still work out your legs just to keep the whole body in check, but in a lesser intensity. Regardless of how much bigger one part is to the other, it is important. As I was watching some Gym Jones videos, I ran across a pretty neat quote that went like "There is no core, the body is one piece - treat it that way."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=628qp...ayer_embedded#!
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    *Phew* Thanks cuz i thought maybe i was just bein a pansy. Well i gotta question, the way we lift at school is alright but bb specific training is better. Ultimately my goal is bb, its not lik im gonna go to college to play football or anything.

So could i keep lifting at school till the summer is over, but still do 2 upper body days w/ no lower days with the HCT routine? This would work out cuz my lower body dwarfs my upper body, and its only gonna be for a little under 2 months.
    Try this and see how you feel after a couple of weeks. This might work for you. If you can cut down on some of the distance running that might help too. Distance running really isn't the best thing for football, however I know you may not have much control over that if it's a coach ordered thing.

Sometimes overtraining can be looked at as under recovering. So try to take naps, get 8-10 hrs of sleep and eat tons of protein and calories in general and you may be able to stay on track for your goals.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Yes.

As others have mentioned, drop the HCT 12 until football is done.

Doing both will only wear you out and predispose you to injury.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym